Badfinger

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Badfinger

Post by sgt.null »

here is the history of the band...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badfinger

but rather than focus on the tragedy, I am here to celebrate the music of one of the most underappreciated rock bands of all time.

most everyone knows the hits, but Badfinger had so much more to offer. so an album by album view of one of my favorite rock bands.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Maybe Tomorrow (The Iveys album)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maybe_Tomorrow_(The_Iveys_album)

Maybe Tomorrow was the only album released by Badfinger under the name The Iveys. It was issued in 1969 on the Apple label in Japan, West Germany and Italy. Although the album was scheduled to be released worldwide, the release in the US and UK at that time was halted without explanation. Many reasons for halting the album have been suggested by the band and Apple employees, but the most common theory in that Apple's newly-hired president, Allen Klein, stopped all non-Beatle releases on Apple until he could examine the company's finances, which were in disarray at the time.

A majority of the album's songs were later issued as Badfinger songs on the Badfinger album Magic Christian Music.

Pete Ham: guitar, keyboards, vocals
Tom Evans: guitar, vocals
Ron Griffiths: bass, vocals
Mike Gibbins: drums, vocals

Maybe Tomorrow(Griffiths)

Tom Evans wrote Maybe Tomorrow, he is playing acoustic guitar in the video.

it's hard to find any Iveys videos on Youtube. and the ones they have aren't as good as Maybe Tomorrow. Dear Angie started as an Ivey's song, later re-recorded by Badfinger.
Last edited by sgt.null on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Magic Christian Music

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Christian_Music

Magic Christian Music is an album by band Badfinger, released in early 1970 on Apple Records. Three tracks from the LP are featured in the film The Magic Christian, which also gives the album its title. However, Magic Christian Music is not an official soundtrack album for the film.

Come & Get It(McCartney)

Tom Evans: guitar, vocals, bass on "Rock of All Ages", "Crimson Ship" and "Midnight Sun"
Ron Griffiths: bass (except as noted), vocals
Mike Gibbins: drums, vocals
Paul McCartney: piano on "Rock of All Ages", percussion on "Come and Get It"
Last edited by sgt.null on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

No Dice

No Dice is a pop album by Badfinger, issued by Apple Records and released on 9 November 1970. Their second album under the Badfinger name and third album overall, No Dice significantly expanded the British group's popularity, especially abroad. The album included both the hit single "No Matter What" and the song "Without You", which would become one of the most successful compositions of the rock era.

Although this was the band's second album released as "Badfinger," it was the band's first album recorded after their name change from The Iveys and also their first with new guitarist Joey Molland, who replaced bassist Ron Griffiths after the recording of the previous album, Magic Christian Music. Molland's addition caused Tom Evans to switch from rhythm guitar to bass. Badfinger would release five albums, generally their most successful recordings, with this line-up.

Pete Ham – guitar, piano, vocals
Tom Evans – bass, vocals
Joey Molland – guitar, vocals
Mike Gibbins – drums

No Matter What (Ham)

Without You (Ham/Evans)

Better Days(Evans/Molland)

Believe Me(Evans)

Bonus track - Mean Mean Jemima(Molland)

had to leave off the great Blodwyn (Ham) - because there is no vid on Youtube vid. it is Julie's favorite Badfinger song.

EDIT

Blodwyn
Last edited by sgt.null on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Straight Up

Straight Up is the third album by power pop band Badfinger, released on 13 December 1971. It is widely regarded as Badfinger's best album, spawning two Top 20 singles in the US and being commercially successful in its own right. The album was released on the The Beatles' Apple Records label and was unavailable for many years after the label folded. It was reissued on CD in 1993, and remastered in 2010.

Recordings for Straight Up began in early 1971 under the direction of producer Geoff Emerick at Abbey Road Studios, who produced the bulk of Badfinger's preceding album No Dice. Although these early recordings were completed and both the album and a single, "Name of the Game", were ready to be released, Apple Records co-president George Harrison decided the album could be improved under his personal direction, which led the single to be canceled and all the material recorded up to that point to be shelved. Harrison recorded a couple of new tracks with the band in the summer of 1971, as well as re-recording a couple of the original tracks. He can be heard playing a slide-guitar duet with Pete Ham on the song "Day After Day", with Leon Russell featured on piano. Additionally, Harrison and Phil Spector planned a different string arrangement for "Name of the Game", but this apparently never came to pass.

Due to a hurriedly assembled benefit concert that summer, The Concert for Bangladesh, at which Badfinger performed, Harrison lost interest in the Straight Up project and did not return to it after the concert. Apple retained Todd Rundgren to finish the album. Rundgren utilised recordings begun by both Emerick and Harrison, re-recorded some of them, and also recorded several new tracks with the band (notably "Baby Blue") in less than a month. (It had already taken the band over a year to record what songs they had.)

Pete Ham – Guitar, Piano, Vocals
Tom Evans – Bass, Vocals
Joey Molland – Guitar, Vocals
Mike Gibbins – Drums

Others
George Harrison – Slide Guitar on "Day After Day", Producer
Leon Russell – Piano on "Day After Day", Guitar on "Suitcase"
Bobby Diebold – Bass "Suitcase"
Klaus Voorman - Electric Piano on "Suitcase"
Todd Rundgren – Producer
Bill Collins - Accordion on "Sweet Tuesday Morning"
Geoff Emerick – Producer

Take It All (Ham)

Baby Blue (Ham)

Name of the Game (Ham)

Suitcase (Molland) - awesome live version

Sweet Tuesday Morning (Molland)

Day After Day (Ham)

no video for the excellent It's Over (Evans)

EDIT

It's Over

Mean, Mean Jemima (Molland) was also intended for this album, did not make the cut.

EDIT

Mean Mean Jemima
Last edited by sgt.null on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Ah yes, Badfinger...the only good thing to come out of Apple records until Apple was able to recapture many of the Beatles' rights.

Of course, if the Beatles' were a married couple then they would have had three children: The Iveys/Badfinger, Wings, and The Traveling Wilburys. We can probably count ELO as an adopted child.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

well Hashi - we have the last Apple album now.

Ass

Ass is the fourth and last album released on Apple Records by power pop band Badfinger. The opening track, "Apple of My Eye", refers to the band leaving the label to begin its new contract with Warner Brothers Records. The cover artwork (showing a donkey chasing a distant carrot) alludes to Badfinger's feelings that they had been misled by Apple over the years.

Ass was Apple's last original album that was not by an ex-Beatle. From then on, only the Beatles as solo artists were left to release records on Apple until the label went out of business in 1976.

Pete Ham – guitar, piano, synthesizer, vocals
Tom Evans – bass, vocals
Joey Molland – guitar, piano, vocals
Mike Gibbins – drums, vocals

Apple of my Eye (Ham)

Get Away (Molland)

Icicles (Molland)

Constitution (Molland)

When I Say (Evans)

I Can Love You {Molland)

Timeless - live (Ham)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Badfinger

Badfinger is the fifth album by rock band Badfinger. The album was recorded in autumn 1973 and released in 1974 on Warner Bros. Records. It was the first of two albums released by the band on the Warner label. Although the album is technically untitled, it is referred to as Badfinger as this is its only identification outside its matrix number. The intended title, For Love Or Money, was rejected by the label at the time of production and was never used. The intended title referred to Badfinger's label change from Apple Records to Warner Brothers.

Pete Ham – guitar, piano, vocals
Tom Evans – bass, vocals
Joey Molland – guitar, vocals
Mike Gibbins – drums, vocals

I Miss You (Ham)

Shine On (Ham/Evans)

Lonely You (Ham)

Give It Up (Molland)

unable to find a complete version of Matted Spam (Ham) on youtube.

EDIT

Matted Spam
Last edited by sgt.null on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here is the sixth album by rock band Badfinger and their third consecutive album produced by Chris Thomas. It was recorded in the spring of 1974 at Colorado's Caribou Ranch and released in November of that year on Warner Bros. Records. Wish You Were Here was the second and last album the band released on the WB label.

After completing Wish You Were Here, Pete Ham decided to quit Badfinger; he was replaced by keyboardist/guitarist Bob Jackson. However, after Warners indicated that it would drop the band if Ham quit, he decided to return, and the band completed a tour as a five-member group. After the tour, Joey Molland resigned from the band.

Joey Molland - vocals, guitar
Pete Ham - vocals, guitar, keyboards
Mike Gibbins - drums, keyboards, lead vocals on "In The Meantime"
Tom Evans - vocals, bass

Just A Chance (Ham)

You're So Fine (Gibbins)

Gotta Get Outta Here (Molland)

Dennis (Ham)

In the Meantime" (Gibbins)/"Some Other Time" (Molland)

Meanwhile Back at the Ranch" (Ham)/"Should I Smoke" (Molland)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Head First

Head First is the tenth and final album by rock band Badfinger, released on November 14, 2000. It is the last album to feature the original "Iveys" core of Pete Ham, Tom Evans and Mike Gibbins. It was recorded in December 1974 at The Beatles' Apple Studios in London and remained unreleased for 26 years. Originally intended to be Badfinger's third album under its six-album contract with Warner Bros. Records, the recordings were shelved when legal difficulties erupted between the band and WB that year, and the version that was finally released (as Badfinger's eleventh album, including two live albums) was a rough mix of the album made by Phil McDonald, one of the engineers at Apple

Tom Evans: bass, synthesizer, vocals
Bob Jackson: guitar, keyboards, vocals
Mike Gibbins: drums, percussion, vocals

Lay Me Down (Ham)

Passed Fast (Evans/Jackson)

Moonshine (Evans, Gibbins, Jackson)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Airwaves

Airwaves is an album released by Badfinger in 1979 on the Elektra label (a sister label to Warner Bros. Records, their previous label), the seventh album released that was credited to Badfinger. Anticipated as a comeback album for the group at the time, expectations were not quite realized, as the "group" now consisted of just the duo of Tom Evans and Joey Molland, accompanied by guitarist Joe Tansin and various session musicians.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwaves_(album)

Lost Inside Your Love (Evans/Molland)

Love is Gonna Come at last (Molland)

Winner (Tansin)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Say No More

Say No More is the last studio album recorded by Badfinger that contained new material. Issued in January 1981 on Radio Records, the LP was the second and last attempt by Tom Evans and Joey Molland to recapture Badfinger's earlier market success, which was lost after the death of band founder Pete Ham in 1975. The album was recorded in Miami, FL by Evans, Molland, keyboardist Tony Kaye (formerly of Yes), guitarist Glen Sherba and drummer Richard Bryans.

Tom Evans: bass, guitar, vocals
Joey Molland: guitar, piano, vocals
Tony Kaye: keyboards
Glenn Sherba: guitar
Richard Bryans: drums

I Got You (Molland)

Hold On (Evans/Tansin)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

that's it for studio albums. compilations and live albums below...

1989: Shine On (UK only)
1990: The Best of Badfinger, Vol. 2
1990: Day After Day: Live
1995: The Best of Badfinger
1997: BBC in Concert 1972-1973
2000: The Very Best of Badfinger
2002: Live 83 – DBA-BFR
2010: Magic Christian Music; No Dice; Straight Up; Ass (remastered albums on CD, w/bonus tracks)
2010: Apple Records Extra: Badfinger

tomorrow I will post the Pete Ham solo albums. I'll see if anything from the Joey Molland is on Youtube.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Pete Ham

7 Park Avenue is the first of two posthumous CD releases of demo material recorded by Badfinger's Pete Ham. The recordings are taken from various eras, beginning with compositions he wrote during his years with The Iveys from 1967 to 1969, and running throughout his tenure with Badfinger, ending with his death in 1975. The majority of these recordings were made on The Iveys' Sound-On-Sound Revox mono tape machine. Many of the songs highlight Ham playing all the instruments. All of the vocals and guitar licks are Ham's original performances.

7 Park Avenue was the address of Badfinger's band residence in Golders Green. Golders Green is a community in London, England, probably most known for the Golders Green Crematorium which is the final resting place for many famous Brits including The Who drummer Keith Moon, famed psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, and comedic actor Peter Sellers

Catherine Cares

It Doesn't Really Matter

Hand in Hand

Sille Veb

Blessing in Disguise

No One Knows

the last two are bonus tracks from the Japanese release.
Last edited by sgt.null on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Pete Ham - Golders Green

Most or all of the original recordings were made on Ham's home Revox two-track tape machine, with some remainders apparently recorded in professional studios and transferred to his home machine. Most or all of the original recordings highlight Ham playing all of the instruments. In cases where the instrumentation was sparse, session musicians were utilised to enhance the recordings. Notably, Badfinger member Bob Jackson later added keyboards to some tracks, and Iveys member Ron Griffiths added some bass guitar.

A Lonely Day

Whiskey Man

I'm closing it out. there are solo Joey Molland videos on Youtube, as well as various incarnations of the Badfinger band. but it's a mess that I'm not going to sort out right now.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

thanks to youtube, I was able to find the handful of songs that I could not find, way back in the dark age of 2013.

since I posted, Badfinger got an unexpected boost. their song Baby Blue was used in the finale of Breaking Bad.

Baby Blue
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

A very underrated band that deserved so much more commercial success and longevity than they actually got. Thanks for posting the recording history, Sgt. Null; I enjoyed reading it!
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

thanks Cord! I absolutely love the band. I posted some more songs that I originally could not find.

there has been a huge increase of Badfinger music available on Youtube over the years.

and it is now easier to get their complete works on disc. growing up I only got to hear them on the radio until I found the Rhino re-release sometime in the '90's.

it is my sincerest hope that they get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

just found this - Ron Grifffith's vocal take for Come & Get It.

Come and Get It

that is Paul McCartney at the end saying... "we'll let you know Ron..."
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Ron Griffiths & David "Dai" Jenkins, formerly of The Iveys, played for the first time together in almost 45 years at the Tribute Concert for Pete Ham/Iveys/Badfinger on April 27, 2013 in Swansea, South Wales. (The Grand Theater)

I Believe 00:56
Midnight Sun 3:22
Man Without A Heart 6:45
Dear Angie 10:24
Blodwyn 13:22
Come And Get It 18:04

the set

On the 27th of April Swansea City Council unveiled a blue plaque in honour of their own son musician and rock start Pete Ham. The plaque is situated at Swansea's High Street railway station. This is a video of that ceremony.

a touching tribute
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

*bump*

(--because Badfinger is a band that always deserves more recognition, whenever possible.)

Return to “Vespers”