The Last Dark cover art revealed

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

Isn't Bhapa one of Hami's cords, who sort of got adopted by Mahrtiir, as he was comparatively younger and destiny filled, not content to just tend the Ranhyn and eager for battle? And thus was the Manethrall selected to leave the herd and go off with Linden.

I think Doan was the old Manethrall who seemed to be like a first among equals thing, when they were all at the Verge of wandering.

Why oh why did I loan away my runes of the smurfs?
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Bhapa was included because he was related to the Cord that was mauled by the Kresh - I think Saha was her name.
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Yeah he is, so is Pahni. But they aren't originally Mahrtiir's cords, I think. I really really remember them describing Mahrtiir as 30s. Oi Oi I wish I could check.

Then again, look how tiny Revelstone is on the original Ill-earth war cover. Also how different Caerroil Wildwood looks on the Ill Earth war re-release, compared to the Fatal Revenant re-release cover.

I feel like the covers aren't going through enough tcaf checking, or being rushed, or the artist is doing too much coke, or some other issue.
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

You're correct, they were originally Hami's Cords.
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Do they describe Mahrtiir's age/physical appearance much when he is first introduced in Runes of the dearth? The suspense is kind of killing me. Maybe I just picked up this whole notion of him being young from his...zealousness?

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Cover art, across all mediums, is notoriously... um... well let's just say the more specific the artist tries to be to the contents the more discrepencies there are. Music seems to have solved this by taking the nonsensical approach. Books still seem to suffer from the same difficulties old 8-bit games used to have. Just look at Mega Man. Heck, there's even a Watch Item called Covenant's Sword & Armor or something (see: Second Chrons artwork)
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Krilly wrote:Cover art, across all mediums, is notoriously... um... well let's just say the more specific the artist tries to be to the contents the more discrepencies there are. Music seems to have solved this by taking the nonsensical approach. Books still seem to suffer from the same difficulties old 8-bit games used to have. Just look at Mega Man. Heck, there's even a Watch Item called Covenant's Sword & Armor or something (see: Second Chrons artwork)
Oh yes I agree! In fact, most people probably assume your avatar is a cute little version of Megaman redone as a Haruchai. But it is of course the cover art from Megaman 3: Gaiden: Megaman gets his groove back. Is it not?

Edit: That all actually sounded a bit too sarcastic, I actually do agree. Am I to take that to mean that I am not alone in thinking Mahrtiir looks too aged on that cover, and we are writing this off as 'cover art will be cover art'?

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

There is a distnctly Christian aspect to the gesture of his right hand - probably unconciosely done but there nevertheless
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

For what it is worth, I'll vote Mahrtiir, as a Forestal, appearing with Young One Tree and the Wraiths of Andelain. Exclusively playing for the next 20 millennia.

I dunno - suddenly I have this vision of the
Spoiler
crippled little robot tending the garden dome as it sails off into deep space at the
end of Silent Running...

edit: spoilered, just in case someone who hasn't seen the movie wants to watch...
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Has anyone mentioned the stars could be Elohim? Wasn't there some connection between them and stars discussed at one point?

The picture could be a young One Tree if Maahtir were installed as guardian in the past. Alternately, he might be the successor to the Forestal; blindness seems to be a job requirement. Will there be a new collossus to keep Foul and the surviving ravers at bay.... a sand gorgon would be a good candidate.

People can become physical symbols in the Land. I wonder if Linden will become a new staff of law (runes on clothes, previous affinity to the staff/the law and the physician personified to protect the "health" of the Land).... or even a new one tree, Covenant becomes Foul - opposites making a whole, male/female, ying/yang, classic/romantic, order/chaos, law and wild magic.... fulfilling the core theme of paradox.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Jussi
Stonedownor

Post by Jussi »

UK cover:

You are the white gold.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Sky! Called it! (Or close enough.)

Interesting two-tone colouring. The rest were all a flat colour.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

"Something entirely out of the ordinary" was recycled from a book review for the 1st Chrons.
Jussi wrote:UK cover:

Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Sffasia
Stonedownor

Post by Sffasia »

Orlion wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:

Guardian of the new One Tree.
Now you're just reaching... we don't even know if the world can be made anew, let alone if another One Tree can be created, would be necessary, or even wanted. Besides, since the Guardian is an Elohim construct, there is no natural reason to even have a new Guardian with a new One Tree... further, there is no need to set it up the same way as with the Old Guardian.
(Jumping in with both feet n headfirst) I havent read any ARCs of Covenant, so complete speculation here, maybe Mahrtiir
Spoiler
becomes Guardian of a New One Tree after the worm destroys the world of the Land,
Spoiler
foul escapes to our earth

and
Spoiler
TC & LA together re-create a new LAND where as the creators they cannot enter it or else they'll destroy the new LAND's arch of time (bonus to me, I hope: this would destroy THOOLAH for all time (our world), so thats a bonus if true. Pls dont anyone whos read TLD tell me if true or not; cant wait for Oct to come soon enough (is it coming out on or near my birthday like "Feast of Crows" {in 2005, i mean}?

My first post outside summonsing, pls forgive any mistakes. Thanx. (also havent re-read 1,2,3Last Chrons or 1&2TCTC in many years, so completely out of my aarse this may be. Really happy that even the cover art has so many clues to Last Chrons (i own n read the overseas export edition of UK Last Chrons, so no clues there altho i love the UK covers of 1,2&3TC).
edit to correct theory.
Verement
Servant of the Land

UK Cover

Post by Verement »

Love the new cover! As enigmatic as the rest. And it fits with the collection!
High Lord Mhoram ROCKS! -
But now Mhoram felt the fire which burned against his flesh under his robe. In a rush of exultation, he understood it, grasped its meaning intuitively. As the Stone reached its height over his head, he tore open his robe and grasped Loric's krill.

Its gem blazed like a hot white brazier in his hands. It was charged to overflowing with echoes of wild magic; he could feel its keenness as he gripped its hilt.

It was a weapon strong enough to bear any might.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

My first thought on seeing this was that it was Covenant. The gaunt face, the grey hair... but then I also thought Mahrtiir; I envision the Ramen as Native-American-ish and the features and the blindness went along with that as well.

I just read through the encounter with Caerroil Wildwood in Fatal Revenant. The US cover art is a good pic but does not quite picture Wildwood for me, either (too Gandalf).

I'm hemming and hawing about purchasing the hardcover or the Kindle. The Kindle would give me instant gratification, ;) but in Nigeria I have the first 3 hardcovers in the Last Chrons and it would be nice to be consistent.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hardcover, deer. SRD can sign all four next June for you.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

But me and the books will be in Africa then!! :(

I did pre-order the hardcover. I am comforted (perversely) by the fact that the hc ships 2 days before the Kindle is available. :twisted: I hated the thought that Watchers would be reading the Kindle and posting all kinds of stuff leaving the rest of us in the dust. :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Still hoping -- and walking shadow to shift realities -- so that you and so many others WILL be able to attend Elohimfest.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

{Hi Sffasia - welcome to the Watch. For some reason missed your above post but have a question or two relating to it} My memory is not as it once was and I'm struggling to remember the events at the end of TOT. Did the One Tree perish then? And when it is said that the Guardian is an Elohim construct - can somebody run that by me again; I thought one of the Insequant was fought and defeated by Brinn at the Isle [nb I'm not doubting the correctness of Orlions post - I just need to be given a re run and I don't have a copy of TOT to check it out for myself]

Roll on Oct 17 [in the UK at least. When and where is the next Elohimfest - I would'nt be able to make it, but would much like to be aware it is going on so I could 'raise one' to you guys in spirit!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Last Dark”