The Last Dark cover art revealed

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

It might be worth digging back and seeing when exactly the runes began glowing silver whenever Linden would use it. Perchance there is some clue there?

In any case, I'm in the Mahrtiir camp. Is this his "heart's desire"?
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Staff

Post by SkurjMaster »

Are you guys suggesting that the staff being held by the Mahrtiir figure is the Staff of Law. Doesn't look like the description of the SoL. Not symmetric. No metal ends? Can't make out any runes either. Is it just me?

Is it possible that all of the statements to the effect of 'only guilt is power' implies that TC and LA will have to relinquish their talismans of power to the other characters? I.e. Mahrtiir gets the staff?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Staff

Post by Vraith »

SkurjMaster wrote:Are you guys suggesting that the staff being held by the Mahrtiir figure is the Staff of Law. Doesn't look like the description of the SoL. Not symmetric. No metal ends? Can't make out any runes either. Is it just me?

Is it possible that all of the statements to the effect of 'only guilt is power' implies that TC and LA will have to relinquish their talismans of power to the other characters? I.e. Mahrtiir gets the staff?
Yea, if that's the Staff of Law it's just terrible.

I'm pretty sure the runes have glowed every time the Staff has been used since they were inscribed.

And, related back to Hashi, I think the runes are really more akin to the OS, and not at all like "Raising the Dead? There's an App-rune for that."

Edited to add some missing words.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Staff

Post by Akasri »

Vraith wrote:
SkurjMaster wrote:Are you guys suggesting that the staff being held by the Mahrtiir figure is the Staff of Law. Doesn't look like the description of the SoL. Not symmetric. No metal ends? Can't make out any runes either. Is it just me?

Yea, if that's the Staff of Law it's just terrible.

I'm pretty sure the runes have glowed every time the Staff has been used since they were inscribed.

And, related back to Hashi, I think the runes are really more akin to the OS, and not at all like "Raising the Dead? There's an App-rune for that."

Edited to add some missing words.
The app "Raising the Dead" has recently downloaded an update and needs to be restarted in order to install. This is to fix an error that could sometimes turn the target into Walking Dead. Sorry for any inconvenience.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

I take it you've figured out who the mystery person is?

Yet another curve ball Donaldson thrown, he has. Even with his cover art.
Last edited by thewormoftheworld'send on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Consensus is pretty clear, Worm. That's Mahrtiir.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Savor Dam wrote:Consensus is pretty clear, Worm. That's Mahrtiir.
Uhhh, no. It's Brinn.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Uhhh, no. It's Brinn.
If that's supposed to be Brinn, it is even more badly done and counter-textual than if the stick is supposed to be the Staff of Law.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:
Uhhh, no. It's Brinn.
If that's supposed to be Brinn, it is even more badly done and counter-textual than if the stick is supposed to be the Staff of Law.
Probably not Brinn, no wrinkles (a-la-chapter 3 of TLD). Also not the Staff of Law, no runes and it tapers *TCTC geek shoulder shrug*.

The bandage is indicative of blindness and thus prophecy (and probably Mahrtiir). The Forestal possibility is interesting as it open up all sorts of lines of continuation: why would the forests need a Forestal after the Last Dark unless there's a Land and forests and threats to forests? The Final Chronicles, anyone?!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

ussusimiel wrote:
Vraith wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: Uhhh, no. It's Brinn.
Probably not Brinn, no wrinkles (a-la-chapter 3 of TLD). Also not the Staff of Law, no runes and it tapers *TCTC geek shoulder shrug*.

The bandage is indicative of blindness and thus prophecy (and probably Mahrtiir). The Forestal possibility is interesting as it open up all sorts of lines of continuation: why would the forests need a Forestal after the Last Dark unless there's a Land and forests and threats to forests? The Final Chronicles, anyone?!

u.
I imagine Mahrtiir will act as a Forestal to lend whatever little strength he can in the Battle of Andelain.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Orlion wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:The bandage is indicative of blindness and thus prophecy (and probably Mahrtiir). The Forestal possibility is interesting as it open[s] up all sorts of lines of continuation: why would the forests need a Forestal after the Last Dark unless there's a Land and forests and threats to forests?
I imagine Mahrtiir will act as a Forestal to lend whatever little strength he can in the Battle of Andelain.
No doubt you jest when you say 'little strength'. A Forestal is as puissant as the number of trees in the forest he protects. Andelain + Salva Gildenbourne might be the greatest forest since the One Forest; even greater than Garroting Deep 8O

u.
Are posted on the door,
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

ussusimiel wrote:
Orlion wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:The bandage is indicative of blindness and thus prophecy (and probably Mahrtiir). The Forestal possibility is interesting as it open[s] up all sorts of lines of continuation: why would the forests need a Forestal after the Last Dark unless there's a Land and forests and threats to forests?
No doubt you jest when you say 'little strength'. A Forestal is as puissant as the number of trees in the forest he protects. Andelain + Salva Gildenbourne might be the greatest forest since the One Forest; even greater than Garroting Deep 8O

u.
They're mostly young, and Mahrtiir would be new to his Forestal powers. And we are talking about skurj that are essentially a hoard of fiery hydras and Sandgorgons, to whom distance has no meaning to such power. Hell, I don't know if even Caerriol Wildwood could fend off one Sandgorgon, let alone an army off them.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Orlion wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:No doubt you jest when you say 'little strength'. A Forestal is as puissant as the number of trees in the forest he protects. Andelain + Salva Gildenbourne might be the greatest forest since the One Forest; even greater than Garroting Deep 8O

u.
They're mostly young, and Mahrtiir would be new to his Forestal powers. And we are talking about skurj that are essentially a hoard of fiery hydras and Sandgorgons, to whom distance has no meaning to such power. Hell, I don't know if even Caerriol Wildwood could fend off one Sandgorgon, let alone an army off them.
Granted, and yet Wildwood was more than a match for about 750,000 Foul warriors and an Illearth Stone fragment fuelled Giant Raver. It's one of the imponderables of the Chron; just how fundamentally incommensurable powers can be stacked up against one another (one of the reasons I have such a low tolerance for superhero movies :lol:).

u.
Are posted on the door,
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's definitely not Brinn, but in many ways it's definitely not Mahrtiir. Since when would a Ramen wear a white robe? I'm pretty sure that would make camouflage very difficult.

Who in current existence could turn Mahrtiir into a Forestal? Any Elohim could, but they're running for their lives. Brinn/Theomach/Guardian could, and maybe this will be his boon. Mahrtiir as a Forestal could impose the forbidding that was hinted at in AATE.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

dlbpharmd wrote:It's definitely not Brinn, but in many ways it's definitely not Mahrtiir. Since when would a Ramen wear a white robe? I'm pretty sure that would make camouflage very difficult.

Who in current existence could turn Mahrtiir into a Forestal? Any Elohim could, but they're running for their lives. Brinn/Theomach/Guardian could, and maybe this will be his boon. Mahrtiir as a Forestal could impose the forbidding that was hinted at in AATE.
Or maybe Linden could. There are still those mysterious runes of Wildwood on the Staff of Law... perhaps their purpose is to create another Forestal?

As far as the forbidding, I imagine Jeremiah will be key for that.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

dlbpharmd wrote:It's definitely not Brinn, but in many ways it's definitely not Mahrtiir. Since when would a Ramen wear a white robe? I'm pretty sure that would make camouflage very difficult.

Mahrtiir isn't a forestal in the picture, he's the new ak-haru. He sacrifices himself (Mahrtiir = martyr) defeating Brinn in combat and takes on the role as Guardian.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Mahrtiir isn't a forestal in the picture, he's the new ak-haru. He sacrifices himself (Mahrtiir = martyr) defeating Brinn in combat and takes on the role as Guardian.
Have you seen the preview chapter?
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

dlbpharmd wrote:

Have you seen the preview chapter?
Yes. But the information there doesn't say anything about Mahrtiir's future fate.

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Guardian of what?
“All things exist
organically. This you know, Unbeliever. As one swells, another dwindles. As the Worm of
death rises, the Tree of life declines.” A lift of his hand referred to the heavens. “After long ages
of slumber, the Worm now draws nigh unto the Land, seeking its final sustenance. In natural
consequence, the One Tree expires to its roots. Thus I am freed of my Guardianship.
“Alas, my powers diminish as the Tree fails. I am made less by the deaths of stars and
Elohim. And it was never my task to preserve the Worm’s sleep, except by protecting the One
Tree. I have no virtue to oppose the World’s End. Nor am I permitted to do so, regardless of the
leanings of my heart. That burden is yours, Unbeliever, as it is the Chosen’s as well, and also her
son’s. Together you must save or damn the Earth, as it was foretold in the time of the Old
Lords.”
Never mind he has more an appearance of a Forestal with the robe, garland of flowers, and blindness than he does that of a Guardian whose power wains with each passing moment.

Further, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to be a "martyr" that have nothing to do with assuming a pointless position.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Orlion wrote:

Guardian of what?
“All things exist
organically. This you know, Unbeliever. As one swells, another dwindles. As the Worm of
death rises, the Tree of life declines.” A lift of his hand referred to the heavens. “After long ages
of slumber, the Worm now draws nigh unto the Land, seeking its final sustenance. In natural
consequence, the One Tree expires to its roots. Thus I am freed of my Guardianship.
“Alas, my powers diminish as the Tree fails. I am made less by the deaths of stars and
Elohim. And it was never my task to preserve the Worm’s sleep, except by protecting the One
Tree. I have no virtue to oppose the World’s End. Nor am I permitted to do so, regardless of the
leanings of my heart. That burden is yours, Unbeliever, as it is the Chosen’s as well, and also her
son’s. Together you must save or damn the Earth, as it was foretold in the time of the Old
Lords.”
Never mind he has more an appearance of a Forestal with the robe, garland of flowers, and blindness than he does that of a Guardian whose power wains with each passing moment.

Further, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to be a "martyr" that have nothing to do with assuming a pointless position.
Guardian of the new One Tree.

Return to “The Last Dark”