Post by Jussi »

I believe this is Mahrtiir:

Source.
You are the white gold.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Perkele. Niinpä näkyy Mahrtiir olevan. 8O
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There's something... odd about the lower half of his body. Like there's not enough of it there.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

There exist some anatomy problems in the previous covers also (although not as horrendous as Sweet's)--this one gives the impression that the fellow is merging with the tree. Unless he has become a new Forestall.
Nor do I recall him ever wielding a staff.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Frostheart wrote:There exist some anatomy problems in the previous covers also (although not as horrendous as Sweet's)--this one gives the impression that the fellow is merging with the tree. Unless he has become a new Forestall.
Huh, now that you mention it, this cover does bare quite a bit of resemblance to the Fatal Revenant cover.

He even has the garland of flowers! And he's blind as a Hile Troy!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Orlion wrote:
Frostheart wrote:There exist some anatomy problems in the previous covers also (although not as horrendous as Sweet's)--this one gives the impression that the fellow is merging with the tree. Unless he has become a new Forestall.
Huh, now that you mention it, this cover does bare quite a bit of resemblance to the Fatal Revenant cover.

He even has the garland of flowers! And he's blind as a Hile Troy!
If those stars do not represent the elohim, then they might be wraiths. I recall SRD saying something of their huge importance concerning the fate of the eaeth. Since Rime smashed the last Forestall to splinters with two fist blows, he could be a new one standing in Andelain.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Eyes covered up, indicating blindness...coming out of a tree, indicating Forestal...

...this is Caer-Caveral, former Forestal of Andelain, who used to be Hile Troy.

I concur--the lights are Wraiths, not stars.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

But: he has the manethrall's garland of yellow flowers. Mahrtiir has a bandage across his eyes. Cannot be Troy?
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I'm actually thinking that only now are we seeing the similarities betwixt Caer-Caveral and Mahrtiir. My vote is that the person is Mahrtiir, and that he is going to become a Forestal.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Marthiir

Post by SkurjMaster »

The person on the cover looks feminine.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Robes don't work that way with female hips (I should know...). Neither do we have Adam's apples.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Yea...I think Mahrtiir...the age, the bandage, the garland are pretty specific...though there are some oddities.

Are there ANY really good character representations on any Chron's book?

I do think it's stars in the background...if it's wraiths it's terrible interpretation of them.
[and the tree is pretty badly done, too...as a tree period, not to mention has no "character" of a Land tree].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Cover art

Post by SkurjMaster »

I missed the Adam's apple, but then it is not very prominent. The facial structure and the robe are girly. Sorry. Honestly, when I first looked at it, I would have sworn it was a woman.

Strangely, I somehow managed to envision Mahrtiir as a bit squat (for a Ramen) and with dark hair.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Frostheart wrote:But: he has the manethrall's garland of yellow flowers. Mahrtiir has a bandage across his eyes. Cannot be Troy?
Orlion wrote:I'm actually thinking that only now are we seeing the similarities betwixt Caer-Caveral and Mahrtiir. My vote is that the person is Mahrtiir, and that he is going to become a Forestal.
hrm....I do not disagree with that assessment. I did not assign significance to the garland at first. Still...it could be a gifted garland...*shrug*.

There aren't any Forestals to train him, are there? If not, then he'll have to learn it on his own.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:There aren't any Forestals to train him, are there? If not, then he'll have to learn it on his own.
Perhaps that is one of the purposes of the runes Caerroil Wildwood placed on the Staff :!!!:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I was thinking that it looked like his body ended at the waist, and the robe just hangs down straight from there with nothing inside it, heh.

I mean, you mention they don't have the hips for a woman, but I don't think they even have the hips of a man under that thing - or at least not a right hip. Not based on the shoulders.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Savor Dam wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:There aren't any Forestals to train him, are there? If not, then he'll have to learn it on his own.
Perhaps that is one of the purposes of the runes Caerroil Wildwood placed on the Staff :!!!:
You may or may not be aware that that is one lingering question I have had--the meaning or purpose of the runes Wildwood carved on Linden's Staff. That could be an answer, as long as the new Forestal can deduce their meaning, which may be something that happens on its own.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'm having a difficult time believing this will be the actual cover. It certainly looks like Palencar's work, and I can't imagine this being a likeness of anyone other than Mahrtiir, but it's certainly not how I've envisioned him.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

But it cannot be a female; I just talked about the unwritten rule of women in fantasy covers. :P They can only look like this:

Mrs. Mahrtiir above is OLD and possesses no rack to speak of!!! That would not do!

(Also would be interesting to know how she can wield an axe like that with those stringy arms. Unless the weapon's hollow and plastic. Personally don't see any appeal in a scrawny whose hipbones protrude so much as to form a sharp corner. Ow.)
Muff/rrin wrote:I was thinking that it looked like his body ended at the waist, and the robe just hangs down straight from there with nothing inside it, heh.

I mean, you mention they don't have the hips for a woman, but I don't think they even have the hips of a man under that thing - or at least not a right hip. Not based on the shoulders.
Well yes it does seem as if he had a piece of cardboard for the lower body. :lol: Which is why I suggested he might be merging with the tree. Obviously the body ought to show signs of some leg curves, maybe some bulge depending on the size of his wossnames, and general bunching of fabric round the waist. Saruman on the cover of FR appears to suffer from the same affliction, at least in part, so I'm not sure whether it's an actual anatomy problem from Palencar's behalf.

The staff-runes theory's interesting, though. They really haven't served any purpose yet, have they?
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

OK. Where did you get this? *I* didn't even see this yet! No fair!!!! :D
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.

Return to “The Last Dark”