RETURN OF THE KING (contains spoilers)

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Michael Giantfriend
Ramen

RETURN OF THE KING (contains spoilers)

Post by Michael Giantfriend »

Return Of The King
(caution - contains minor spoilers throughout, and some biggies!!!)

The beginning with Sméagol and Déagol is superb, and cuts to Gollum with Frodo and Sam as they approach the Black Mountains. After that, there is just so much to take in! The Sméagol/Gollum biphasia especially is handled superbly here! Andy Serkis, I believe, deserves an Oscar for Best Actor! He was superb! (Okay, you only actually se him on screen during the Sméagol/Déagol scene, but he IS Gollum!)
The mustering of the Rohirrim at Dunharrow is spectacular in its own right, and that's just them gathering together! As for when they charge en-masse towards Sauron's army outside Minas Tirith!!! Words fail me!
The march of the army of the Witch King from Minas Morgul is fantastic - you wonder will the line of Orcs and Trolls ever end! The invasion of Osgiliath is superb - not quite on a par with the beach scene in "Saving Private Ryan" (that, after all, was an authentic recreation of an event still within living memory), but breathtaking nonetheless. The assault on Minas Tirith, likewise, is simply stunning! Trolls in full plate armour!!! Orcs by the tens of thousands!!! Dozens of Mûmakil! And the Nazgul shredding through cavalry like the Luftwaffe!!!
Shelob is, in my opinion, the only disappointment in the entire film - and even then, that's only relative! In any other movie, she would have been a highlight! I had imagined her to be larger, heavier, more ponderous, and to have that peculiar dim greenish glow that surrounds Minas Morgul itself. But, like I said, that is only relative to the rest of the movie!!!
There were scenes in this movie where, if I had less self-control, I would have been cheering and whooping with glee! As it was, I was doing a muted punch-in-the-air and whispering "Yes!" at them!

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT - If you haven't read the book, <u>do not</u> read the next paragraph!!!
Spoiler
I have to admit, there were some points where I found myself with a lump in the throat, and two where I actually did cry!!! The lumps in the throat came when Faramir led the Gondorian lancers in a futile Light Brigade-esque charge against the Orcs encamped at Osgiliath at the behest of Denethor while Pippin was forced to sing a song for Denethor, at the Cracks of Doom when Sméagol falls, at the Grey Havens when Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo are saying goodbye, and at the charge of the Rohirrim - there is just something about the sight of 10,000 cavalry charging a quarter-million orcs that stirs something deep within!
The tears came, unsurprisingly, at the death of Théoden, and at the end when Sam walks up to the front door, picks up his daughter and says "Well, I'm back".
END MAJOR SPOILER ALERT

Without a doubt, this is the finest film of the three. It stays more true to the book than any of the other movies, although obviously there are still changes. Saruman, as predicted, does not appear in the cinema release (although the scenes with Christopher Lee are due to appear in the extended DVD due out next November). Legolas gets up to his old tricks again when he takes out a Mumakil single-handed! And Eowyn seriously kicks ass!

But despite the changes, this is a film that even Tolkien purists may be able to enjoy. There are no deaths/survivals/plot twists to surprise those familiar with the book (although Merry recovers rather swiftly after the Battle of the Pelennor Fields!) but all of the important plot lines are there, virtually unchanged.
It may just be the caffeine running through my system, it may just be adrenaline, it may be the lack of sleep, but whatever it is, at this moment in time I believe this may well be greatest movie I have ever seen. It certainly overtakes Spirited Away as my favourite film of this year! Time will tell, but I believe that even in ten years time, I will still feel this to be the single greatest movie ever.

If this doesn't clean up at the Oscars, there is no justice.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

You should put this in the LOTR forum.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

*twitches*

9 hours 47 minutes....

*twitches*

9 hours 46 minutes

*twitches*
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Just got back about a half an hour ago...

At very few points in my life have I ever wanted to stand up in a theatre and shout or cry like a baby, this is one of those times. (I however didn't shout but maybe fought back a few tears.)

I say undoubtedly, with all credibility one such as I may boast, that was the single greatest movie I have ever seen and quite possibly will ever see.

Somewhere J.R.R Tolkien smiles.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

SPOILERS

Ok. Just saw the movie and I have one question (since I never read the books): Does Aragorn really end up with the elf (Liv Tyler) in the end? This part of the movie seemed out of place to me. I thought that he should have ended up with Eowyn (the other girl?).

Anyway - it was the best of the three movies!! Spectacular! I was very pleased.
The King has one more move.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

birdandbear wrote:*twitches*

9 hours 47 minutes....

*twitches*

9 hours 46 minutes

*twitches*
:LOLS: :haha: :LOLS: :haha:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

It's getting Oscar nods for Best Picture and Director... :) :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

caamora wrote:SPOILERS

Ok. Just saw the movie and I have one question (since I never read the books): Does Aragorn really end up with the elf (Liv Tyler) in the end? This part of the movie seemed out of place to me. I thought that he should have ended up with Eowyn (the other girl?).

Anyway - it was the best of the three movies!! Spectacular! I was very pleased.
Spoiler
Yes, Aragorn and Arwen is one of the great love stories in literature, imo. They get married in one of the last chapters of the ROTK book. And the appendix tells good stuff about their life after. Everybody who's seen the movies would likely be interested in the appendix. Actually, there's a few, but even combined they aren't all that long.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Well, I'm fresh back from the movie. In fact, as I type this, my ass still feels like a hunk of lead.

I didn't cry, but I did get chills during the Grey Havens scene . . . and at Mount Doom . . . and . . . hmm . . . Somewhere else I got chills, I swear. But look, the reason I wasn't as affected by the movie is because those theater seats were so damn uncomfortable.

Personally, I still favor Fellowship of the Ring. What can I say, I'm a bit of a purist, and that one stayed the truest. Two Towers was great, but at one time I gave up and had to stop counting the times when I thought "Damn it, Jackson, go by the book. Tolkien really does do that bit better." With ROTK, my only gripe is that during a few choice scenes I expected to hear some very classic lines from the book, but I didn't hear 'em.

So . . . for me . . .

1. Fellowship
2. ROTK
3. Two Towers
Last edited by Worm of Despite on Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

caamora wrote:Ok. Just saw the movie and I have one question (since I never read the books): Does Aragorn really end up with the elf (Liv Tyler) in the end? This part of the movie seemed out of place to me. I thought that he should have ended up with Eowyn (the other girl?).
In the book Eowyn hooks up with Faramir, to phrase their elegant pairing in 21st century.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

ROTK

Post by Zahir »

Eagles in the mist... Bilbo's last line... Fire beacons lighting across mountain tops... An oath a long, long last fulfilled... "That only counts as one!" ...Sam at last doing what he so clearly wanted to do back in Fellowship... Gondor giving tribute to the Hobbits...

*sniff*

Such are the images echoing in my memory right now.

BTW, the story of Aragorn and Arwen echoes that of Beren and Luthien in The Silmarillion. Luthien was an Elven King's daughter, and Beren loved her from the moment he saw her dancing among the trees of Doriath. Her father would only accept as a bride price a Silmaril--one of the holy gems stolen by Morgoth for his crown (this was the Dark Lord to whom Sauron was but a servant). Together, they achieved this quest, but Beren was killed. Luthien fled to the very halls of Mandos, where the dead wait. There, she sang a song of the great griefs suffered by Elves and Men, moving to pity eyes that had never before shed a tear. To her was given the gift to live again with Beren, but to live as one of his people. Thus did Luthien alone of all Elvish kind eventually truly die and leave the world as Men do (for Elves wait in the Halls of Mandos). And from them came a child, whose grandchildren were Elrond and his brother Elros (first King of Numenor and Aragorn's remote ancestor).

Tolkien first saw his future wife Edith dancing in the woods. Forbidden by his guardian, a Jesuit, to see the girl until he got his degree, Tolkien eventually came back only to learn she was engaged to another. She married him in the end.

Their headstones read: BEREN and LUTHIEN.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow! Thanks for the info Zahir! How cool is that for headstones!!

(hmmm, I think a new thread is in order :))
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I have not read all this. I'm trying so hard not to.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Ode to Peter Jackson

Oh Peter Jackson
There are no words
for the grtatitude I feel
for these movies of
my favorite fantasy books
You did them justice
and made it look cool
and I cried like a baby
Thank you for your warm
handling of the movie
I saw last night
Bless you! Bless you!
Forever and forever
You rad little hobbit man, you.

Guys, I don't know what to say......I'm in utter awe! I cried every 15 minutes or so, and through all of the last 45. I left last night utterly transported, wanting to go right back in and see it again.... 8O :R 8O :R

:Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail: :Hail:
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Your winding me up! :x
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Golden Globe nominations are out and it's up for 4, including Best Picture and Best Director!!

GO PETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I need to see this movie NOW!!!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Saw this last night - I honestly believe that taken together these 3 movies represent the finest film making I have ever seen. If ROTK and Jackson don't win the Oscar, it will be a travesty - worse than Shawshank Redemption getting passed over, worse than Saving Private Ryan getting passed over.

I have never read the books - I tried to read both the Hobbit and FOTR and for the life of me, Tolkien drives me insane! So much superfluous fluff....

But the movies! My God!

Gotta see ROTK again - and soon!
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

Seeing it tonight...seeing it tonight... seeing it tonight... seeing it tonight!! :) :) :) 8O urk! excitement overload
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

birdandbear,
You are adorable!!! :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”