What Do You Think Today?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

peter
The Gap Into Spam

What Do You Think Today?

Post by peter »

How about a sticky 'What Do You Think Today?" thread to sit alongside the "How Do You Feel Today?" thread. Not that there's anything wrong with feelings, but in this highly emotive and (in my oppinion) over sentimentalised society thinking seems to be given a second place to it's less rational and more self-orientated sibling. Witness the all to common out-pourings of grief/euphoria/anger that occor on both sides of the Atlantic at the drop of a hat (and often instigated by a media that fuels this shift in emphasis largely because, I believe, the last thing you want is a 'thinking' population) only for the emotion to fizzle and evaporate away as quickly as it was born once the public loose interest.

So what do I think today? I think Mrs Thatchers true legacy would better be established by reasoned debate as to the pluses and minuses of her contribution to British society (and the wider world) than by the drink fuelled dancing of teenagers (who were not even born when she was in power) in public places, derrogatory songs pushed into the lime-light by social-network campaigns and media-eulogies by the small section of society who were definitely better off as a result of her time in power.
Last edited by peter on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I'll sticky it. 8) But if the discussion gets too heated, I, on behalf of my fellow mods, reserve the right to snip posts and send them to other forums. ;)

Also, I think I'm glad I have made it a habit to snip open all the little circles on plastic six-pack holders before I throw them away. I saw a picture on FB of a poor turtle who had gotten stuck in one when he was just a little turtle. Now he has a figure-8 shaped shell, poor guy. :(

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha wrote:I'll sticky it. 8) But if the discussion gets too heated, I, on behalf of my fellow mods, reserve the right to snip posts and send them to other forums. ;)

Also, I think I'm glad I have made it a habit to snip open all the little circles on plastic six-pack holders before I throw them away. I saw a picture on FB of a poor turtle who had gotten stuck in one when he was just a little turtle. Now he has a figure-8 shaped shell, poor guy. :(
I always snip the damned things because many animals get stuck in them. we as a species suck.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Thanks Ali. It might be nice just to have somewhere to chuck down those throw away thoughts we have about what is going on etc without having to start a new thread each time. If it doesn't work un-sticky it and consign it to the dustbin of history :lol: .

Celebritys are getting way above themselves these days and being given platforms that are way outside their sphere of expertise (Anjelina Jolie is currently involving herself in the area of sex-crimes in war; I suggest she has little experience of either). Lets get this straight. Being an actor is not brain surgery - Shirly Temple could do it when she was eight.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I think the other topic had this pretty much covered, regardless of the title not being precisely the right word.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

peter wrote: Celebritys are getting way above themselves these days and being given platforms that are way outside their sphere of expertise (Anjelina Jolie is currently involving herself in the area of sex-crimes in war; I suggest she has little experience of either). Lets get this straight. Being an actor is not brain surgery - Shirly Temple could do it when she was eight.
I had no idea who Anjelina Jolie was so I looked her up. She has oscars, I see and is more than an actor - screen writer etc. But the point is that a lot of people will take notice of her because of what she does. I think that it is good that celebrities give their time to all kinds of good causes as it brings them to public attention. Of course, the end of that sentence can be taken in two ways, both the good cause and the celebrity will become better known. The cynic might say that this is why they do it, but take Brian Rix as an example. He gave up the stage to concentrate on working for people with learning disabilities. One of his daughters has Down's syndrome. Who's heard of him these days, but since 1980 he's been heavily involved in Mencap, President now, and he's 89!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I never buy anything with those plastic rings, but I have a friend, Ali, who does the same as you do with hers.

Recycle, recycle, recycle. I dropped off a pile of old electronics this weekend at a recycling pickup that the local environmental defenders group was having. They even took a clunking air conditioner that I was having trouble trying to get rid of - the scrap yard wanted the freon removed first before they'd take it; and I was having a hard time trying to find someone who did that.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Well, on the celebrity thing: I think the actor slam was a bit much because I'd make a large wager that the really committed entertainers are, as a group, more intelligent, experienced, and knowledgeable concerning their causes than the politicians and pundits as a group. [and because Shirley Temple couldn't act...at age 8 or any other age...OTOH, I think she was a much better dancer than Beyonce. B is just....klutzy].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

my Lord, what is wrong with people? an eight year old boy was killed in the Boston bombing. what justification can anyone have for that?

sad to see New England cast in such horror. I miss my home and wish I were there right now...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Sarge - 100% with you on that!

Anthony Hopkins (not the greatest interviewee in the world granted) once responded to the question as to how he 'prepared for his roles' by saying "I don't - I just turn up and do what the director tells me." Yes - granted that actors/celebs have the profile that makes them more likely to be listened to than Joe Bloggs and it at least is a better use of this than appearing in the news pissed in bars all day, so ok - view appropriately moderated ;)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Theo Mach II
Ramen

Post by Theo Mach II »

sad but not surprised to see the Tank is still a haunt for right-wing douchebaggery after a tragedy like this. I don't miss this place...I don't miss this place AT ALL...
thoughts have no lips
but they speak
they make no sounds
but we listen
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Theo Mach II wrote:sad but not surprised to see the Tank is still a haunt for right-wing douchebaggery after a tragedy like this. I don't miss this place...I don't miss this place AT ALL...
We love you, too. *hug* *kiss*

If you don't miss this place then why are you posting? I know why but I am curious as to what you might say....

:mrgreen:
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Theo Mach II wrote:sad but not surprised to see the Tank is still a haunt for right-wing douchebaggery after a tragedy like this. I don't miss this place...I don't miss this place AT ALL...
Maybe if people contributed more to improving it instead of complaining about it...attend to the beam in your own eye and all that sort of thing...

--A
Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

I think y'all should just apologize, hug it out and then we have a round of the hootchie kootchie...

you put your right foot in
you take your right foot out
you put your right foot in and you shake it all about
we do the hootchie kootchie and we spin ourselves around
and that's what it's all about

you put your left foot in
you take your left foot out....

ok, just had to stop.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Jenn, I think you meant the Hokey Pokey.

The Hootchie Kootchie is an entirely different dance and far more provocative...although definitely worth doing. :twisted:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

We call it the Hokey Cokey! :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I don't care what it's called - I'll do what Jenn's doing :biggrin:
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

The post was worth it just for the phrase 'right-wing douchebaggery'. Man, I'm gonna use that one on somebody in the next few days!

Mrs Thatchers funeral proceeds apace as I post. It seems to me that if someone requests not to have a state funeral [not something I'm guessing that would be done by someone who was particularly modest about thier achievements but never mind that] then it would be good taste to follow that request rather than give them a state funeral but just not call it one. (Incidentally the last two commoners in the UK who were accorded that honour were Churchill and Nelson both of whom led the nation to victory in wars where defeat would have spelled its doom. I don't think Mr's T even in her wildest dreams, would have claimed to have stood alongside those achievements.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

peter wrote:The post was worth it just for the phrase 'right-wing douchebaggery'. Man, I'm gonna use that one on somebody in the next few days!
I won't tell you not to but I will ask: what will that accomplish for you?

Speaking of hoochie koochie, here is the best version of Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway. Enjoy.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
peter wrote:The post was worth it just for the phrase 'right-wing douchebaggery'. Man, I'm gonna use that one on somebody in the next few days!
I won't tell you not to but I will ask: what will that accomplish for you?

Speaking of hoochie koochie, here is the best version of Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway. Enjoy.
Just kidding Hashi - I'm so varied and inconsistent in my own position that it would ill behove me to criticise anothers. I tend to take things issue by issue rather than as a whole.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “General Discussion Forum”