Will most or all of the Ranyhyn die?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Will most or all of the Ranyhyn die?

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

What better way to prove the Mastery of the Land wrong than show that it leads to the death of the Great Horses of Ra? To show that if the Haruchai had not Mastered the Land, a way might have been devised to spare the Ranyhyn such a terrible fate?

Or maybe the Ranyhyn will pull a collective Khelenbrabanal on us...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I could see something like this happening. We've seen the slaughter (or near slaughter) of a race in both the 1st and 2nd Chronicles. For my part, I certainly hope we're wrong.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Another thought I had earlier today: the Ranyhyn are going to stampede onto the scene of the Andelain/Gravin Threndor battle, mowing down the Sandgorgons to some extent or something, putting their lives in danger, and the Masters will sacrifice themselves to save the Ranyhyn.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:Another thought I had earlier today: the Ranyhyn are going to stampede onto the scene of the Andelain/Gravin Threndor battle, mowing down the Sandgorgons to some extent or something, putting their lives in danger, and the Masters will sacrifice themselves to save the Ranyhyn.
Something like that could happen....the Har would almost certainly stand with the Rany [please, not crushing the Sandies, though...I want the Sandies to turn to the good guy side!!]

I can see a large death toll among the Rany happening [to address your original point].

And [tangent/speculation], I may have mentioned this elsewhere...but I think there is significance to the fact that the name of the youngest involved Rany [Jerry's mount] is Khelen...so close to the name of the First Horse.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

[Jerry's mount] is Khelen...so close to the name of the First Horse.
Whoa... Didn't notice that. :huh:

He also wears horse pajamas. Yeah, the Ranyhyn definitely have more work ahead of them.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Yep, there's a definite connection between Jeremiah and Khelen. Something will come of that I do believe...

I have to say that I love how Brinn introduces the Ranyhyn in the teaser: Here are heroes. Could the fact that both Mhornym and Naybahn survived be a sign that the Ranyhyn will not all die...?? I'd like to think so.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

"Will most or all of the Ranyhyn die?"

Words cannot express how thankful I am that this didn't happen!

:Hail: :mrgreen: :R :banana: :ct03: :twirl: :bounce03: :cheers:

(Maybe the emoticons can't express it well enough, either, but I thought it was worth a try...)
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Didn't SRD once mention that he had discussed killing off the Ranyhyn and his wife or someone shot back "don't you dare!" ?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

wayfriend wrote:Didn't SRD once mention that he had discussed killing off the Ranyhyn and his wife or someone shot back "don't you dare!" ?
Good question, wayfriend, and your recall is impressive, as usual!
Stephen R. Donaldson wrote: Actually, I dislike horses. They are the stupidest animals known to man, and nothing is worth the amount of trouble they bring with them. I know from experience: My wife loves horses, and we raised one for five and a half years. At one time while I was writing COVENANT, that horse of hers convinced me to kill off all the Ranyhyn. She had to resort to emotional violence to make me change my mind.

(Well, seriously, now -- there was a time while writing COVENANT when I intended to destroy the Ranyhyn: I thought that was an appropriate thing for Lord Foul to do. My wife convinced me that I was in danger of destroying my story by carrying wholesale slaughter too far. She was absolutely right.)

But as a child (say, eight to ten years old) I was fairly typical in my attitude toward horses. I wanted to be the Lone Ranger and I couldn't very well do that without Silver. (Or was his horse named Kemo Sabe? I forget.) Writing fantasy is often a child-like (if not actually a childish) activity. In creating the Ranyhyn, I harked back to the days when I would have wanted one of my own.
www.stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor ... hp?Page=11

(It's the answer to the 9th question from the top of that page.)

Return to “The Last Dark”