"to bear what must be borne"

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

"to bear what must be borne"

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Aside from the obvious Brinn connection (IIR TOT C), any ideas on what this might mean as far as part 1 goes?
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Two immediate thoughts:

1. Covenant's leprosy is active again, and could be the cause of further disability and/or disfigurement to add to his trials.

2. Roger is still out there causing havoc, and Covenant may want to deal with the "Roger problem" by redeeming him rather than destroying him, while other characters (including, and perhaps especially, Linden) will want to simply snuff him out, or at least feel that they have to do this.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I think the wording here alludes to what it might mean. "to bear what must be borne" could easily be a hint to Roger, the fruit of TC and Joan's loins. Dealing with Roger is not going to be easy no matter what path is taken, so it is a huge burden. I mean, TC did kill Joan, and frankly I do not see a megalomaniac bent on becoming a god having any real chance at redemption. But perhaps I am wrong.

The phrase could also be a hint to some new creation needing to be carried and birthed for redemption to happen. No matter what, I can't wait to find out!!!
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser

Return to “The Last Dark”