Is it unrealistic to even attempt to make a movie?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Is it unrealistic to even attempt to make a movie?

Post by SleeplessOne »

Skyweir wrote:I agree with Forestall too .. though there will be early opportunity for Horrims ideas .. cos totally awesome 😎

Really Wayfriend is right .. the pilot needs some solid hooks and I love the wtf moments.

You know its a pretty exciting project .. and sometimes you just have to work the story boards and move things around and into place .. some truly awesome ideas here.

As with your TCTC songs, music ideas .. they could work behind a narrative.. or a non narrative scene or even as opening song or behind the credits.

I reckon you have too much worked out to slide in to a drawer. But I get the personal satisfaction value .. but how cool to actually put it together and send it to someone .. or somewhere that can pitch it .. even to SRD . Hed probably love it 🤷‍♀️

There are enough fans here thatd love it AND Watchers thatd be happy to support such a project.

More power to you Sleepless.
thanks for the encouragement Skyweir; it means a lot!
I'm a big fan of Arnold/Ace Rimmer too btw, which I am assuming is where you borrowed your signature from :?:
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Have you given any thought to what might happen if all of the Illearth War were to be deleted?
Covenant told us that Elena never even existed. Neither did Hile Troy. If we choose to believe him ...

Mhoram would become the High Lord in Elena's absence.
The Krill would be lost. But then Mhoram might not need it to slay Satanfist if he had the Staff of Law instead - as Elena would never have lost the thing in search of the bogus Seventh Ward.

Condencing the story might make it possible for a three reel two hour screenplay, (to be based on the Chronicles) rather than a step by step, detail by detail, pain in the butt trilogy.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

That sounds a lot like the Dark Tower movie I saw recently ....
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

What does sound fascinating, to me at least, is how Elena will fight back against her non-existance.
For example, a tug'o'war summoning Covenant to the Land. Elena, the Staff of Law, and Drool Rockworm - Triock, Foamfollower, and Lord Mhoram!
Chronologically innacurate, I know, but fascinating no less.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

That is funny .. but I wouldn't want the Illearth War bypassed .. is your reason because of Elena? Her daddy obsession?

Honestly I think it would be a shame ..

Wayfriend I think I saw that same Dark Tower movie .. and it was done awfully btw ..

Sleepless .. me too. I laugh my arse off reading Ace Rimmers lines let alone watching them. Funny af :lol:

Keep at it and when youre ready to share it .. don't .. ;) Unless you just want it to stay a fanfic then definitely do. But if you want to move it on .. safeguard your IP.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Skyweir wrote: I reckon you have too much worked out to slide in to a drawer. But I get the personal satisfaction value .. but how cool to actually put it together and send it to someone .. or somewhere that can pitch it .. even to SRD . Hed probably love it 🤷‍♀️

There are enough fans here thatd love it AND Watchers thatd be happy to support such a project.

More power to you Sleepless.
I smell a Kickstarter.... :D
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Skyweir wrote:That is funny .. but I wouldn't want the Illearth War bypassed .. is your reason because of Elena? Her daddy obsession?

TC said she never even existed. Is it really so difficult to understand?
As I've already explained, the power that preserves within the First Ward is tied into TC having not raped Lena.

Besides, the Illearth War would make a great sequel.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Lazy Luke wrote:... the power that preserves within the First Ward is tied into TC having not raped Lena.
Really???? 8O
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Skyweir wrote:Really???? 8O
Why not?
robertjohnson
Servant of the Land

Re:

Post by robertjohnson »

It is not realistically and costs a lot of money to even attempt to make a movie! However, if you have got a fortune, you won't probably worry about that!
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Re:

Post by Lazy Luke »

robertjohnson wrote:It is not realistically and costs a lot of money to even attempt to make a movie! However, if you have got a fortune, you won't probably worry about that!
Well of course, it's just a bit of fun speculating the possibility of a major movie company investment.
Or dare I say, some indie company, with a rock star willing to dump a mount of money before the tax man gets it.

Welcome aboard.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

The industry is always looking for good scripts .. and yeah Luke is right .. it is a bit of fun speculating .. and fan fics are a big part of fandom ;P :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I can't believe what I just read.
A movie like that would have no real storyline.

Lena's rape impacts the second, third and may be reference up to the last books.
The actions of TC had consequences. That impacted how TC acted.
He felt guilt but his disease conditioned him to feel no remorse.
His deal with the horses stems from his action.
Better no movie at all then lose the story.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

And I can't believe you guys still don't get it.
Ur Dead wrote:Lena's rape impacts the second, third and may be reference up to the last books.
Why do think the epilogue to the last Chronicles is titled the way it is?

Besides, how many times has it been said - "Hey, that wasn't in the book!"
The Raver attack on the Southern Ruins and the Raver attack on Revelstone are pretty much the same differance. I wouldn't want to sit through that twice.
Ur Dead wrote: His deal with the horses stems from his action.
Lord Foul's rape on Laura and Peitten would be enough.
Then Lena and the Ranyhyn Horserite might become that - "Hey, that wasn't in the book!" - scene.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

If I remember correctly the Ravers never attacked Doriendor Corishev. (in it's heyday)
They corrupted the kings over time to attack Grarroting Deep at
Cravenhaw. And with the last king civil war erupted.

Damage to the one forest was complete before that and the watershed broke down and the Southern Wastes developed.

Unless you are refering to the attack on Hile Troy's Warward at
the ruins of Doriendor Corishev.
That was only a 1 to 3 day battle. The attack on Revelstone in TPTP is much more violent and much longer.
Satanfish's army annihilated the Lorestat at Trothgard but only a
verbal message was described by lillianrill. Then they moved to Revelstone.

Maybe being a purist when a Movie series arises for these book might be my fault.

Some things in the Lord of the Rings series irked me...

Besides anybody think about a GoFundMe idea.
(Hey folks I need 70 to 100 million to make the first Thomas Covenant series a 2 to 3 year project - less storylines than GoT but intense)
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Ur Dead wrote:Unless you are refering to the attack on Hile Troy's Warward at
the ruins of Doriendor Corishev.
That was only a 1 to 3 day battle. The attack on Revelstone in TPTP is much more violent and much longer.
Satanfish's army annihilated the Lorestat at Trothgard but only a
verbal message was described by lillianrill. Then they moved to Revelstone.
If I remember correctly the attack on Troy's army was the 'Vortex of Trepidation'. An ominous black magic spell. I don't recall the attack on Revelstone having any specific name but the effects of the emerald disease was as you said more dark.

Where I'm coming from is an idea of a 2hr stand alone flick. How can such a long, long, long, story be condenced. What gets cut and what stays in, to me, is fascinating and probably deserving its own thread.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Ah I think I see the difference.. Are you talking about a movie aka Hollywood?

My idea was along the lines of mini-series like Game of Thrones or
Band of Brothers.

But the run time would be up to to one and half-hour long for each segment. And a 2 year run with ~24 segments for the first 3 books.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lazy Luke »

Ur Dead wrote:Ah I think I see the difference.. Are you talking about a movie aka Hollywood?

My idea was along the lines of mini-series like Game of Thrones or
Band of Brothers.

But the run time would be up to to one and half-hour long for each segment. And a 2 year run with ~24 segments for the first 3 books.
I don't watch TV, so haven't seen an episode of GofT ... but I get the picture.
That type of show would be good for many reasons, but would bore me personally, waiting and waiting for the story to resolve itself. A good film gets straight to the point, fast.
Besides, I think the Chronicles story has first been written and then torn apart. I believe it's done so to give the reader a way of being involved with repairing the damage and the healing of the main character, the Land. This probably wouldn't work any other way than in a book, and so would need handling differantly as a film.
As a TV series ... well, imaging the story to TV precisely word for word would miss the point completely. Which would be very sad.
Lazy Luke
The Gap Into Spam

Ben-Hur 2016

Post by Lazy Luke »

Ur Dead wrote:But the run time would be up to to one and half-hour long for each segment. And a 2 year run with ~24 segments for the first 3 books.
Watched the Ben-Hur (2016) film last night. It was curious seeing how the story ran to 125 minutes, as to the original 1959 film running at 212 minutes.
Having Judah Ben-Hur simply kill the galley captain instead of saving him cut all the episodes of him gaining Roman citizenship. The plot then moved quickly on to Ben-Hur meeting the Sheik, and in turn moved quickly on to the epic chariot race - the main event of the film.

A good example on how it could be done with the original Covenant trilogy.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Ben-Hur 2016

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Lazy Luke wrote:
Ur Dead wrote:But the run time would be up to to one and half-hour long for each segment. And a 2 year run with ~24 segments for the first 3 books.
Watched the Ben-Hur (2016) film last night. It was curious seeing how the story ran to 125 minutes, as to the original 1959 film running at 212 minutes.
Having Judah Ben-Hur simply kill the galley captain instead of saving him cut all the episodes of him gaining Roman citizenship. The plot then moved quickly on to Ben-Hur meeting the Sheik, and in turn moved quickly on to the epic chariot race - the main event of the film.

A good example on how it could be done with the original Covenant trilogy.
I haven't seen Ben-Hur (either of them) and I haven't seen an episode of Game of Thrones (like the books, read about some of the tv changes, took a pass).

But I don't think I want a "condensed" Chronicles. I want the first movie to be the first book, second movie to be the second book, and third movie to be the third book. Each has a great climax I think.

As for a tv series, splitting it up into seasons would be tougher but I still think it should be first season --> Lord Foul's Bane, second season ---> The Illearth War, etc.

I think that makes the most logical sense and would flow the best. And be most true to the books themselves.

Also, SRD needs to be creative consultant AT A MINIMUM and hopefully more than that. I know he has said he's not interested, but come on. Drive a dumptruck full of money up to his ranch or something...get him onboard.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”