The Last Dark blurb

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Jussi
Stonedownor

The Last Dark blurb

Post by Jussi »

From the Putnam catalog:
After thirty-five years, having attained bestseller status all over the world, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant reaches its conclusion. A truly historic moment in fantasy, as Stephen R. Donaldson’s innumerable fans learn the final fate of the Land.

The Worm of the World’s End is roused, seeking the ruin of all things...

Compelled step by step to actions whose consequences they could neither see nor prevent, Thomas Covenant and Linden Avery have fought for what they love in the magical reality known only as "the Land." Now they face their final crisis. Reunited after their separate struggles, they discover in each other their true power - and yet they cannot imagine how to stop the Worm of the World’s End from unmaking Time. Nevertheless they must resist the ruin of all things, giving their last strength in the service of the world's continuance.

“You risk much, as you have ever done. Mayhap you will prevail. If you do not, your worth is not thereby diminished.”
booksellers.penguin.com/static/pdf/putnam-fall13.pdf
You are the white gold.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I want this book... now...

First read LFB in 1979, loaner from a friend. Ran out and bought the original trilogy immediately. Can't believe the story is still going in 2013
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

“You risk much, as you have ever done. Mayhap you will prevail. If you do not, your worth is not thereby diminished.”
Can someone identify the source of this quote? It sounds like Stave.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I'm thinking it's a quote from someone in TLD. A Google search only turns up one link - the blurb from TLD LOL
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by SkurjMaster »

I am thinking that it is Brinn.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Can someone identify the source of this quote? It sounds like Stave.
It does sound quite Stave-like...
Lots of Har. have talked like that, though...
And so have some Giants, and some of the Dead, and Lords...
It almost has to belong to someone/thing that knows much of the past...
[I favor Stave most, some other Har. second]

We also can't tell who it is addressed to.
It could be TC or Linden. [highly unlikely it could be anyone else at this point]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thranathiril
Woodhelvennin

Post by thranathiril »

It still grates on my grammatical nerves to read "...whose consequences...." rather than "the consequences of which...." Really wish the publishers had better blurb writers.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Quite possibly Stave... for any other Haruchai failing to prevail would be a diminishment.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Re: Quote

Post by Cord Hurn »

SkurjMaster wrote:I am thinking that it is Brinn.
:thumbsup:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I cannot find this.

Here is what I can find:
In [i]The Last Dark[/i], Part Two, Chapter 10, 'All Lost Women' was wrote:"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight. Here my life is forfeit. It may be that the bane will heed you. Me She will not suffer. In Her sight, all men are betrayers. I will be devoured."

[...] "As farewell," her final companion told her, "I must say aloud that I regret nothing. My fears are gone. You risk much, as you have ever done. Whatever now ensues, know that I am made proud by my place at your side."
Thus spoke Stave.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I stand corrected.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

"Mayhap you will prevail. If you do not, your worth is not thereby diminished.” is a good line, though. And a truism.

"And if I avow that you merit my pride in each and all of your endeavors, will you hear me?" spoke Loric to Kevin.

Return to “The Last Dark”