Impromptu Pacific Northwest fest last weekend of May 2013

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

What day should PNW Fest be?

Poll ended at Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Friday, 5/24 (evening only)
No votes
Saturday 5/25
14%
Sunday 5/26
29%
Monday 5/27
No votes
Why stop the party at one day?
14%
Sorry, can't make it...
43%

Total votes: 7

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Impromptu Pacific Northwest fest last weekend of May 2013

Post by Savor Dam »

A mention on FB of a Watcher's plans to visit Seattle May 24 - 25 is starting to gell into a minor (?) fest. Who is in?

Rigel is coming to town. Wadds seems to possibly be interested. Menolly, gracious Concierge that she is, has volunteered for Dam-sel, she and me to host at least one event...with the grill being involved, weather permitting.

Since Dam-sel and I will be working Friday, the 24th, we are leaning toward making any hosted event Saturday, but this is also hinged on when people are available. If the concensus is that Friday is preferred...well, Menolly can walk her talk and take a larger role in the domestic and culinary preparations.

Other options for the weekend are the Pacific Folklife Festival on the grounds of Seattle Center, a visit to Black Raven brewpub, and dropping in on Dam-et, who is back in the hospital for his second round of chemo. No not necessarily in that order. :roll:

...and since someone is bound to ask, yes, we can do a trip to Dicks...if we have to. There really are better burgers to be had, but Dicks is an institution of sorts, I suppose.

Honestly, I expect Wadds knows far more about the social life of the city. Dam-sel, Menolly and I live in the suburbs and our lives are what you'd expect from internet-addicted suburbanites of our age.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I actually vote for Sunday. Monday's a holiday, and I'm working Saturday morning.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

someone send me a plane ticket. but I have to be back in texas for sunday 9 am. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I voted for more than one day, but then, I am already here.

Rigel, didn't you say on Facebook that you were coming to Seattle on the 24th and 25th? Are you working at a Seattle branch Saturday morning?

Glad to hear your stay has been extended through at least Sunday. :)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Sarge, don't you need two tickets? Surely you would not arrive without the lovely mrsnull? Menolly and I want to see you both, and Dam-sel (having heard the stories) definitely would miss meeting her.

Get out of the Sunday commitment. It sounds like Sunday evening will be the height of whatever festivities occur.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Menolly wrote: Rigel, didn't you say on Facebook that you were coming to Seattle on the? Are you working at a Seattle branch Saturday morning?
I did say that. It was a senior moment. I wish I could say it was my first :o

I'm just driving up to see my parents a day or two, and thought I'd check in with any friends I could while in the area :)
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Y'all can stop by Sea-Tac Sunday night and see me. 8) I'm scheduled to have a 3.5-hour layover between my flight from Dulles and my connecting flight to Anchorage.

Dunno why I didn't mention it sooner....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Savor Dam wrote:Sarge, don't you need two tickets? Surely you would not arrive without the lovely mrsnull? Menolly and I want to see you both, and Dam-sel (having heard the stories) definitely would miss meeting her.

Get out of the Sunday commitment. It sounds like Sunday evening will be the height of whatever festivities occur.
ok, someone send TWO tickets please. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Rigel's arrived. He and SD are off to meet ali at SEA-TAC and bring her back here to SD's, where we will visit and have dinner. Wadd's is expected sometime between now and 5-ish, so I stayed here in case she showed up while they are gone.

Dam-sel and Dam-et had to go in to downtown Seattle for medical reasons, but as long as all goes well, they should be back shortly.

Let the festivities begin. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Group photos of the six (seven of us, counting Dam-et) should be coming at some point, but all I have pictures of is the beautiful Copper River salmon SD smoked.

Skin side up.

Flesh side up.

No, this is not colored, through feed or any other way. My understanding is Copper River salmon is wild caught.

Beats even colored added Atlantic salmon anyday, nu?

Seasoned with granulated garlic, lime pepper, and dill.

Smoked and fresh off the grill.

We started with hor d'oeuvres of sliced wasabi cheese and Black Diamond Premium Reserve extra sharp white cheddar cheese, served with triscuits and sliced apple. Along with that we had a block of cream cheese and a chili relish served alongside. Beverages included Mexican coke, hard cider, a grapefruit bier, and a couple of different beers; SD will probably know brand names better than I.

Rigel arrived about 1:45, I think. Then he and SD headed out to SEA-TAC to pick up ali. They arrived back and Wadds arrived a short time after. We visited for awhile, and then sat down to dinner:

The wood-smoked salmon, although SD will need to say which chips he used.
Salad
Home made garlic bread

Both Wadds and Rigel brought wine. We didn't get to Rigel's, a 2011 Oregon Pinot Noir, but I'm looking forward to it. Wadds brought two, and we enjoyed the 2009 Canoe Ridge Estate Chardonnay with dinner.

More talking after dinner, along with photos, and then ali had to return to SEA-TAC for her flight onward. Wadds volunteered to drive her there, since it isn't far from where she was headed home, and Rigel headed out soon after, as he was headed back to Oregon.

I think both Dam-sel and Dam-et enjoyed meeting everyone, and I, for one, really appreciate them making our fellow Watchers welcome.
Waddley
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Waddley »

I had a great time, thanks for inviting me! (Despite not being around here much any more)
"Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm." -Robert Hunter
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly photo-documented the fish. Here are the attendees:

Back row: Rigel, Dam-sel
Front row: Dam-et, Waddley, aliantha, Menolly
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

wish I had been there. the fish was gorgeous.

a full listing of the crazy events is coming?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

sgt.null wrote:wish I had been there. the fish was gorgeous.
So were the attendees. Wish you and the lovely mrsnull had been here. Maybe on your West Coast tour after Elohimfest next year...
sgt.null wrote:a full listing of the crazy events is coming?
List is not that extensive, nor were events all that crazy. Rigel showed up about 2 and went with me to the airport to meet ali's plane while Menolly finished some prep work and waited for Wadds, and while Dam-sel and Dam-et were getting Dam-et's platelet transfusion done.

Everyone was at the house by shortly after 4. We snacked and drank while visiting until dinner, then visited and talked more over coffee until it was time to get ali to her plane.

Pretty much the same story Menolly told above. Only new information I can add is that the wood smoke I used on the salmon was alder...and the Pinot Noir that Rigel brought was superb with ribeyes Monday night.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I'd love to try salmon on the grill sometime - will you PM me the details?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Here is a quick photoessay on a smaller piece of salmon done by almost the same method; slightly different seaoning and applewood chunks rather than alder for smoke.

FWIW, the post following that one is a testimonial on the result...depending on how credible you consider that Watcher's opinion to be. ;)

Not sure what other details would be wanted...but I'm happy to take questions.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

post more pics, so says Julie. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

I really wish we could have gone. I would love to quit work, buy an RV and travel across the country.

George - thank you for the invite and beware that one of these days we will be knocking at your door. :)
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”