Where is the Land's greatest beauty?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Where is the Land's greatest beauty?

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I was thinking that the most beautiful place therein by the end would likely be the place where the story reached a final crescendo. So, then, probably Andelain? Or the artwork in the Lost Deep? Revelstone?
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

My guess would be Andelain - it has always seemed to be the heart of beauty in the Land
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The Worm is heading for the Earthblood so I suspect the climax will happen deep under Melenkurion Skyweir. No one has been there in the present timeline of the story so I suspect that is also where Foul is hiding.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Is he strong enough to be hiding there? I thought that the earthblood was too potent for him to be near?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:The Worm is heading for the Earthblood so I suspect the climax will happen deep under Melenkurion Skyweir. No one has been there in the present timeline of the story so I suspect that is also where Foul is hiding.
It seems to make sense...no doubt that is the direction Wormy is pointed.
But some part of me insists not. The only "reasonable" part of that is the amount of the Land it has to cross to get there...if it gets that far, is there actually anything left to save?
But mostly it's just either my subconscious doesn't like it, or my intuition has latched on to something it thinks is a hint otherwise. Don't know what or which.

I think Andelain is the most beautiful, and it's a direct/natural expression of the world. Elohim land similar...I don't see how any confrontation can happen there, though. I'd bet that was Wormy's appetizer.

Melenkurion/Earthroot, and also the Lost Deep [to me] seem to push beyond beauty into that slightly scary realm connected to "the Sublime," in Kantian and/or Burke-ian terms.
[I'll link, in case anyone is interested in a taste.]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublime_(philosophy)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Akasri wrote:Is he strong enough to be hiding there? I thought that the earthblood was too potent for him to be near?
Foul tells the truth only when it suits him.

The most beautiful place in the land? Probably Andelian but I could see Glimmermere vying for that spot, along with whatever remains of Morinmoss. Skyweir itself would be beautiful but would be more correctly referred to as majestic.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “The Last Dark”