The Black Company

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

The Black Company

Post by Cambo »

I don't think there's a thread for this series yet, so I wanted to start one. I'm six books in, and I LOVE this series. Croaker has quickly become one of my favourite fantasy protagonists, and the Lady and the rest of the cast are great as well.

It's character driven, it's dark, it's gritty, it's cynical, the prose is sparse but the plot is gripping. Anyone else fan and want to enthuse with me, or anyone who read them and didn't like them want to disagree?
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I read the omnibus Chronicles of the Black Company (collecting the first three novels, the "books of the north") a year or two back, and it was pretty good. Cook is a big influence on Steven Erikson, which was very clear in the style and characters.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I'm Murrin wrote:I read the omnibus Chronicles of the Black Company (collecting the first three novels, the "books of the north") a year or two back, and it was pretty good. Cook is a big influence on Steven Erikson, which was very clear in the style and characters.
Yeah, it was very cool to see the parallels between the Company and the Bridgeburners. The cynicism, the nasty pragmatism, the loyalty to the brethren...and especially the in-jokey names!
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

i have the book here and i've started it a couple of times (on the advice of steve erikson) but it just never has hooked me. i keep the book tho just in case i start it again sometime and it does. :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

I read this in 2009 and I LOVED IT! One of my favorite series. Cambo, once you read the first one make sure you read the "Books of the South"

Glen Cook's first Black Company omnibus, Chronicles of the Black Company

www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0765319233/ref ... eader-link

Glen Cooks Books of the South

www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0765320665/ref ... eader-link

Both of these were very good books..although they are really multiple books in one. Below is the review on Amazon that I thought was on target.

Quote:
The Black Company stands apart from other works in the genre. True, it's the story of an epic struggle, a rebellion against a dark sorceress, and a prophecy. But this story is told from a very human perspective. It's stripped of the grandeur and nobility found in other fantasy fiction. The characters are real in a way that most other fantasy characters aren't: you can't pin them down. In fact, it often seems as though Cook's overriding point in these novels is to keep reminding us that nobody is either purely good or purely evil.

This edition collects the first three novels of the Black Company, what the stories refer to as the Books of the North. All three are told from the perspective Croaker, the physician/narrator whose selective storytelling shows us the realism of a mystical war. He admits to -- and glosses over -- the shortcomings of his brethren, and shows us his own limitations as a narrator. It feels as though Croaker is a war correspondent, intent on telling the truth, but unable and unwilling to share everything he sees and feels. The limitations Cook places on Croaker can frustrate; at times, plot twists appear out of nowhere, due to events that took place outside of Croaker's presence. But by sticking to this narrative form, Cook provides the reader with an easy way in. Before you know it, you'll have accepted Croaker's world, and you'll want more.

Despite the size of this edition, the Black Company novels are a quick read. Cook doesn't waste words with frilly descriptions, and he pares his sentences down to their most basic elements. The spare writing style keeps the story moving along at a rapid clip. There isn't a phrase or sentence you can get away with skipping.

I highly recommend this collection to anyone looking for something a little different from their fantasy fiction.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Based on your collective recommendations, I've just ordered this from the library.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Finished "The books of the North".
Thoroughly enjoyed them - kind of like the Malazan series.

I was having problems locating "The books of the South" as my library didn't have them (what kind of library only gets the first book in a series?) then decided to check out a disc of kindle books I was given, and..... they are there :biggrin: along with just about everything else Cook has written. So I guess that's this years reading sorted.

Only downside is that my wife wont let me put "all that fantasy rubbish" on her kindle, so I'm stuck reading the books on my kindle reader for my smartphone, which is slightly annoying.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”