Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Finally caught up on eps so I am finally here.

Cloning? Where would they get the memories from? It would have to be Asgaliens.

I hope Coulson is something less pedestrian than an alien clone. That's as original as Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

And why could they not tell him he really died and they had cloned him, now say thank you?

In the Baroque cycle, there was a 18th century character who thought he died, but then found himself alive, and he was never sure if he was "cured" (making him the recipient of a miracle) or "resurrected" (damning him to hell forever), and he lived in spiritual anguish for ever more, not knowing which.

I hope Coulson is something more imaginative like that. If Coulson can't be told about it, then it must be something about the process that would be intolerable. It goes without stating that he does find out about it, of course.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They've been hinting that "It's a magical place" is a programmed response, suggesting it could be some form of hypnotism rather than actual false memories.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

wayfriend wrote:In the Baroque cycle
Is that that series by Neil Stephenson (I think that is his name), the same guy who wrote Cryptonomicon? Is that series any good? I kept thinking about starting it but never have.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Did they skip a week again?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
wayfriend wrote:In the Baroque cycle
Is that that series by Neil Stephenson (I think that is his name), the same guy who wrote Cryptonomicon? Is that series any good? I kept thinking about starting it but never have.
Big Yes. There are threads, so 'nuff said.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm Murrin wrote:Did they skip a week again?
Pretty sure last week was a repeat, murrin. Network sweeps period is in November, so we'll probably have holiday specials until the mid-season in January.

Just a guess, though.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

They've skipped another week? Are they trying to kill this show?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I'm Murrin wrote:They've skipped another week? Are they trying to kill this show?
Most likely on Mid-Season Holiday Hiatus, like everything I watch.

ETA: Actually, next episode already airs Jan 7, according to IMDB. Generally, nowadays American Shows will air half their Season (the shows with more than 13 eps a year, that is) finishing up right after Thanksgiving or right before Christmas, and Start back up with a second Half in Mid January at the earliest and maybe start back up as late as Mid February if not earlier
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

It's been years since I watched tv regularly, although this show has caught my attention.

If American television runs the same as when I watched it thirty years ago, they have two "sweeps" periods: November and May. The sweeps periods are when ratings can really matter, as advertisers determine which shows they will sponsor based on the ratings during those times. Many shows have major storyline arcs and cliff hangers during that time, to draw the audience in.

Then, come December and June, the shows go in to repeats, until the new season or second half of the season starts up again.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I'm Murrin wrote:They've skipped another week? Are they trying to kill this show?
I suppose they wanted to leave everyone with a cliffhanger so that they eagerly anticipate the shows return at some point.

Now it makes sense--The Clairvoyant is the person who is making the prosthetic eyeballs, hence the name: "the one who can see from afar". At first I suspected A.I.M. but my wife suspects SHIELD itself. Place this in context with Fury's apparent sinister turn in the Winter Soldier trailer and then consider that sneaky idea that he may have one of those prosthetic eyeballs under his patch and everything becomes clear.

Fascinating possibility: we might actually meet "the cellist" at some point. Coulson certainly keeps talking about her a lot lately.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I managed to completely forget about this show pretty quickly. Only remembered when someone tweeted today about the new episode. This is what I meant about the repeated breaks potentially killing an already mediocre show.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I am not sure I agree with "mediocre", but it is certainly unconsistent and uneven in episode quality.

The new installment last night was pretty intense, or so it seemed to me.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Haven't seen the new episode but its internal inconsistency reinforces my wife's idea that this show is nothing more than a long, slow prologue to Winter Soldier.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

And it turns out Channel 4 moved Agents of SHIELD from Fridays to Sundays. Skipping weeks and schedule changes, there's gonna be nobody watching this show.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

When we tried to watch the latest episode the ABC site wanted us to verify our cable service provider. We do not have cable service so we couldn't verify that and thus haven't watched the latest episode. If ABC keeps this up I'll just write the show off--I lived quite nicely before I watched it and I will live quite nicely if I cannot watch it again so I don't care too much either way.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Went back to the Channel 4 site and still no sign of an episode - turns out it was a repeat they showed on Sunday. Took some googling to find out what's going on: Because of the US broadcast breaking up the season so much, they're putting it on hiatus until later in the year, so they can broadcast the full season in one uninterrupted run instead of having to stop and start along with the initial broadcast. They're saying it'll probably start airing again in March.
ItisWritten
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Menolly wrote:It's been years since I watched tv regularly, although this show has caught my attention.

If American television runs the same as when I watched it thirty years ago, they have two "sweeps" periods: November and May. The sweeps periods are when ratings can really matter, as advertisers determine which shows they will sponsor based on the ratings during those times. Many shows have major storyline arcs and cliff hangers during that time, to draw the audience in.

Then, come December and June, the shows go in to repeats, until the new season or second half of the season starts up again.
Actually, sweeps occurs 3 times: November, February and May.

It's a shame American TV's schedule isn't compatible with the UK. But I can assure you, Murin, that nothing has changed over here with the shows time slot. The audience here is watching.
ItisWritten
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Concerned about tonight's show. All the promotion I've seen keeps saying "After the events of Captain America..."

I not only hope I can follow the AoS storyline without having seen the film yet, but I hope it doesn't spoil the film for when I do see it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

They will be careful not to spoil the movie in the TV show. Ideally, that is.

I watch it online so I am about a week behind. *shrug*
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Considering what the movie events are, I'm not sure it'd be easy to avoid spoiling it.

Return to “TV Shows”