Batman vs Superman...here we go again...

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

wayfriend wrote: I would say that Snyder struggles to achieve a gravitas that matches what DC is looking for in their franchise, and which Marvel so far has shied away from.
I agree. I thought Watchmen was both well-done artistically and stayed as true to the original source as converting a graphic novel into a movie would allow (with the one obvious exception being the details of someone's secret plan). Naturally, I would advise widening the pool of preferred directors (I recommend Mr. Del Toro and Mr. Bekmambetov) so that they don't wind up relying on only one person for directorial vision.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:I liked Sucker Punch. I thought it was profound.
I agree. Though I found precious few who've agreed. One day, I think that it will be revisited and rehabilitated with a more optimistic assessment.

—————————————————————
wayfriend wrote:I would say that Snyder struggles to achieve a gravitas that matches what DC is looking for in their franchise, and which Marvel so far has shied away from. It's a plan, but will people buy tickets? People seem to prefer their comic book heroes with popcorn, not profundity.
Nolan's were successful, so it's certainly possible. As long as DC doesn't cross from brooding and grim to ponderous and disspiriting and Marvel doesn't go from buoyantly topical to outright vacuity, it seems like there should be room for both.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I am definitely a fan of SuckerPunch. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the Superman movies. And Affleck as Batman......horrible. If he sucked playing Marvel's version of Batman, how can he possibly pull off this? Short answer is he can't. And doing a sequel to a movie that was just plain weak (with the exception of Ma and Pa Kent) is just stacking the odds against success.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

even though I don't believe that Batman can defeat Superman, I will be rooting for him. Superman is a god, and if he turns against us...

the trailer looks great. and Wonder Woman - finally!!!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:and Wonder Woman - finally!!!
That is probably the best thing to take away from the trailer.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I am fanboy enough to love the bleed line.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The whole "do you bleed?" line could be a threat....but it could equally be a warning. For all we know, Batman could be aware of a threat that Superman might be underestimating and he is trying to warn him to be careful.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

For those who've not yet seen it, the new Comic-Con Trailer.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I'm rooting for Bats.

maybe the Zod clone will be Bizzaro?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:I'm rooting for Bats.

maybe the Zod clone will be Bizzaro?
If they are going with the "clone Zod" plot then I would bet on Doomsday rather than Bizarro. As I said, that plot requires at least one pod from the scout ship's genesis chamber to be intact and that someone--Lex--figures out how to use it. That wouldn't be too difficult if Zod's key is still in the computer console, leaving it active and ready for vocal input.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Doomsday = yawn. never liked the character. Bizarro would be awesome. :(
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

When your plot line is "a big, bad creature literally crawls up out of a hole in the ground and beats Superman to a pulp" then you are officially out of ideas.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I rewatched Man of Steel today, and am feeling more optimistic about Batman vs Superman.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

MoS holds up to repeated viewings, I think. I don't know where they are going to go with the whole "no secret identity" thing, which seems to be the modern trend for superheroes. Aliens from outer space show up on Earth, you say? They are looking for someone, you say? They went *where*?! Smallville, Kansas? erm...okay. They went where? Martha Kent's farm? She has a son named Clark, you say? hrm....we dug into his background and some weird stories popped up, primarily the fact that no one seems to remember her being pregnant. Okay--the guy they are looking for must be him,
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

never understood why Superman needed a secret identity.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Superman is a product of the 1930s; all the "caped/masked avengers" had secret identities so the bad guys wouldn't know who they are and couldn't kidnap their wife/girlfriend/child to hold for ransom. In this regard Batman was unique--even if people knew who he was there wouldn't be anyone they could have kidnapped to emotionally compromise him. That kind of tactic probably wouldn't have worked on The Shadow, either--he didn't capture criminals, he killed them.

Anyway....as I said that line of reasoning is from the 1930s. Back then, standing out from the crowd was generally frowned upon, unless you were already a celebrity. Heroes were expected to do good deeds for their own rewards, not for the sake of fame.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I just can't imagine that Superman would be satisfied as a mortal. and have no idea why he would choose Lois over Wonder Woman.

the Amazon should stoke his fires, however alien he is.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

These days, we think of things differently than Mr. Siegel and Mr. Shuster did back in the 1930s. Superman today wouldn't bother with a mundane identity--his public persona as Superman would be his identity...but he would have to obtain a decent patent lawyer to make sure people don't co-opt his symbol and/or likeness for their own personal gain.

There is no reason that Wonder Woman and Superman "should" become involved with one another. The Wonder Woman/Batman romance thing that was hinted at during the old JL/JLU series is a much more interesting situation. That being said, there is no reason that they "should" become involved, either. Some supers will become involved with each other, to be certain, but others won't for a variety of reasons.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

What about the whole "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing?
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

wayfriend wrote:What about the whole "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing?
Superman and Lois could set up a red sun room in the Fortress of Solitude. have sex and keep Lois there until the pregnancy has reached it's course.

there are superheroes Superman could mate with. Wonder Woman, Maxima, Big Barda. in fact any of the New God women would do.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”