Audiobook news

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

dlbpharmd
Lord

Audiobook news

Post by dlbpharmd »

From SRD:
Scott Brick's long-term goal is to record all of the remaining Donaldson titles as audio books, but he has been absent from the project for reasons of health. Now he is able to return to work, and his first task will be to do the reading for THE LAST DARK for Putnams. Then he intends to tackle everything else.

To date, he has done 1) the first three "Covenant" books; 2) the two "Mordant's Need" books; 3) the five GAP books; and 4) the first two installments of "The Last Chronicles" (AGAINST ALL THINGS ENDING was recorded by someone else). But eventually he hopes to release "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant," both of my short story collections, and all of my mystery novels. I certainly hope he succeeds! His work is highly regarded by many people, and he is *very* conscientious.

7/25/13
1. I'm thrilled that Scott will be reading TLD! Reynolds was a terrible narrator for AATE.

2. I hope this means that Scott has finally received the rights to publish the 2nd Chronicles!
bluefoxicy
Servant of the Land

Post by bluefoxicy »

I'm not. Brick destroys everything he touches. Good narrators are extremely far and few between, and often relegated to a genre or subset of genres (Stephen Fry was great for HHGTTG, while Martin Freeman was terrible; but Fry would be terrible for any sort of dark fantasy, whereas Vincent Price would have been a god).

To that end, Scott Brick is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered. I can only hope that someone, somewhere, takes enough offense to re-record the audiobooks with a narrator that's only as terrible as Vogon poetry, which is significantly better than listening to Scott Brick destroy books.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

bluefoxicy wrote:I'm not. Brick destroys everything he touches. Good narrators are extremely far and few between, and often relegated to a genre or subset of genres (Stephen Fry was great for HHGTTG, while Martin Freeman was terrible; but Fry would be terrible for any sort of dark fantasy, whereas Vincent Price would have been a god).

To that end, Scott Brick is quite possibly the worst I've ever encountered. I can only hope that someone, somewhere, takes enough offense to re-record the audiobooks with a narrator that's only as terrible as Vogon poetry, which is significantly better than listening to Scott Brick destroy books.
I have all of Scotts recordings of the first chronicles as well as the first one in the third. I think, not only is his work fantastic, that he is just a great person all together. He came to the last 'fest and was a joy to hang with.

I can't wait until he works on the second chronicles and I will be his first customer. SRD has also expressed his appreciation of Scott Bricks readings and the thoroughness of his research into pronunciations before the recordings.
bluefoxicy
Servant of the Land

Post by bluefoxicy »

lorin wrote:I think, not only is his work fantastic, that he is just a great person all together.
Some people.

Thought.

That William Shatner... WAS!

A great.

Actor.

As well.

When.

STAR... trek.

Was born.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

It's a big, wonderful world with lots of room for everyones opinion. You are certainly entitled to your own opinions and I would never try to force mine on you.

Enjoy the forums and the wonderful people here. :)
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

William Shatner IS a great actor!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

bluefoxicy wrote:Some people.

Thought.

That William Shatner... WAS!

A great.

Actor.

As well.

When.

STAR... trek.

Was born.
Who, Captain Kirk? Why, I'd love to keep up a face like his when playing Fizzbin, last time I tried I probably smiled a bit much, and the Klingon warrior I played with decided I was cheating - though certainly I perfectly remembered and followed all the rules (the additional ones of my invention just a few minutes ealier). But no use, and he just had to rub it in by lifting up the table and applying it to my face. Next time I'm playing with Vulcans.
A role-player, beware
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Effaeldm wrote:Next time I'm playing with Vulcans.
From what we know of your style of play, Vulcans might not be the most fun playmates. ;)
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Icarus Unfallen wrote:
Effaeldm wrote:Next time I'm playing with Vulcans.
From what we know of your style of play, Vulcans might not be the most fun playmates. ;)
Why, I can logically prove that this way of playing is the most correct one, similarly to how it was played initially... oh well, at least probably I won't end up with the table on my head as a part of the argument.
A role-player, beware

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”