Sherlock

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Sherlock

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I have always been a Sherlock holmes fan ever since my Grandmother gave me a dvd boxset of the BBC Sherlock holmes starring Jeremy Brett. I have also come to love BBC's new "Sherlock" series starring Benedict Cumberbatch I was wondering if anyone else has been enjoying this series.. and im also here to let you know that season 3 is on the way!!

HERE IS MY PROOF!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=llGXWICGsD4
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I love it. Particularly Season 2. Can't wait for more.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I have seen it (all 6? episodes) and it's not to shabby.

The ending of the last episode left me stumped, I am afraid. Not sure how that came about. They better explain!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

wayfriend wrote: The ending of the last episode left me stumped, I am afraid. Not sure how that came about. They better explain!
Agree 100%.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

agreed.. but its really just a Sherlock holmes thing.. he and Moriarty always die together in some way.. originally falling off a waterfall I believe..

I was told by a real sherlock holmes fan.. like someone who had read all of the stories and stuff that Sherlock was never supposed to come back after he fell.. but he was such a popular character at the time that the readers wouldn't accept him dead so they pressured the author into writing more which is why he comes back everytime xD

I don't know how much of that is true but I thought it was pretty cool.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Sherlock Holmes' greatest weakness are the people who write stories about him. They aren't as intelligent as he is supposed to be and so they often have to rely on little contrivances to get him to figure out the things he figures out.

Don't misunderstand me, though--I enjoy the character even though I haven't seen this show.

Of course, I am always more a fan of Moriarty than Holmes despite the fact that Moriarty makes some ridiculously stupid mistakes. If he has contrived a scenario that will bring Holmes to a particular location during his investigation, then why not plant two or three snipers to cover that location and shoot him in the head? *pow* then have some guys move in to make sure the job is done. Problem solved.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well, if it's an allusion to one of the original books, I was unaware of it. Hence my confused state. But that does make things more clear.

Anyone watch the [related] TV show Elementary? Probably the American version of the BBC version. I found the Moriarty reveal at the end to be quite unexpected.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Hashi I think you should watch this show I think its only 3 episodes per season and its worth it.. a very solid production and I like how they portrayed moriarty in this one... not the traditional way but maybe even more effective. I d believe you will enjoy it.. I think its even on Netflix.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Iv never seen elementary before.. is it as good as Sherlock?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Poliwrath wrote:Iv never seen elementary before.. is it as good as Sherlock?
It's not bad, but it's not quite as good as the BBC Sherlock. Then again, there are a LOT more episodes. :)

(The worst part of the show is that Lucy Wu (Watson) manages to be unentertaining somehow.)
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Poliwrath wrote:Hashi I think you should watch this show I think its only 3 episodes per season and its worth it.. a very solid production and I like how they portrayed moriarty in this one... not the traditional way but maybe even more effective. I d believe you will enjoy it.. I think its even on Netflix.
I will consider it. I have purposely avoided having cable service since mid-2008.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

It's on Netflix. We watched a couple episodes, and really liked it at first. Cumberbatch is superb, and Freeman isn't too bad, either. However, I soon grew weary of the talk-fast/sound-smart format of the show. They did manage to squeeze some interesting characterization into the massive chunks of exposition, but I guess I'm just not a fan of this character.

I did like him when Data played him. :P
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I have read all the Holmes stories, both short and long and agree entierly with Hashi that all subsequent Holmes material falls short principally because of the shortcomings of the writers themselves.
Polwraith's story re the death of Holmes and Moriarty at the Reichenbach falls is correct - Holmes was never meant to return but indeed was 'resurrected' due to popular demand. The stories do not lend themselves in my opinion to being shifted from the gaslit Victorian era in which they were originally set - Holmes clipped manner of speech and somewhat florid turns of phrase do not lend themselves to modernity.

re Moriarty's 'taking Holmes down' in the manner sugested Hashi - yes it could have been done that way [exepting the problem of 'sniper rifle' development of the day], but this I think, was not Moriarty's way. He also was an artist at what he did, and the method cited would have been too crude for his artistic sensibilities. I don't believe he really wanted Holmes dead as such - he wanted to defeat him and see him know that he had been so. It's along time since I read the Conan-Doyle books so I could be wrong here but, this would be my take.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

peter wrote:Holmes clipped manner of speech and somewhat florid turns of phrase do not lend themselves to modernity.
True, but that manner of speaking is still sometimes used to evoke a certain feel. Two fictional characters I can name almost immediately who speak in a similar manner are Dr. Doom (who technically isn't a doctor, in that he is neither an M. D. nor earned a PhD as far as I know) and Dr. Hannibal Lecter (who is an M. D.). Sometimes it isn't what Doom is saying so much as it is how he is saying it and Dr. Lecter is as precise in his speaking as he in with his penmanship (he always writes in Copperplate, a calligraphy font).

That sort of linguistic precision sounds odd, or at least antiquated, to our ears because we so so inured to speaking colloquially.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I always thought that holmes was to be portrayed like an out of place man because he's terribly unique... He's also always kind of been a detached character that does have mechanical tendencies to him... sometimes he just seems more computer then man.. I always like how they've kept the speech and voice work like that it's just who he is.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Some people who are fans of Holmes have, over the years, attempted to "psychoanalyze" him. For the most part, his mannerisms and personality do seem to hint at some sort of social affective disorder--Holmes is probably on the Asperger's Sprectrum, which would also be related to his highly intelligent and analytical mind as well as explaining how he is able to pick up details that others miss.

It wouldn't matter in which era Holmes get transported; he would always be a man apart.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

How long do we have to wait for the next season!!! Even Breaking Bad didn't take THIS long!!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I've just watched the entire 6 episodes over the last two days on Netflix and I am hooked...great acting, great writing...awesome...
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I've just started watching BBC's Sherlock and I love love love it!

Cummerbatch is amazing as Sherlock.

I've gotten as far as Season 2, Episode 1.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I read in Entertainment Weekly that season 3 starts this Sunday on PBS. I gotta look up the times.

I love that fans of Benedict Cumberbatch are known as Cumberbitches.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life

Return to “TV Shows”