Have you written your own Fantasy or Sci Fi?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Anyone who wants to suffer through reading my writing can get some samples here:

marcwriting.wordpress.com/

I put some old samples from the 90s there. My current stuff (in various stages of unfinshedness on my hard-drive) is similar, maybe a teeny bit better.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I started a couple of stories. They never went anywhere, but are still in the archives ready to be dusted off.
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut
Poider
Stonedownor

Getting there

Post by Poider »

I am up to page 70, in a book that I have been writing for about ten years now
It took me about two weeks to get to page 70
Peter
It is better to have tried and failed then to have failed to try!
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I have had this story, at least the beginning scene and ending scene, in my head for years now. I've never been able to get one of the "worlds" if you will in the appropriate time / technology level that made sense.

Until the flight the home from E-Fest this year...after lengthy talks about techniques and ideas and idioms and being able to sponge off all that brainpower, I've resolved this idea in a way satisfying to me, if not altogether original, in a way that I can frame some nice thematic elements.

I hope to be restarting on it this month or next once School is over.
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
NomNomNom
Servant of the Land

Post by NomNomNom »

I started one back when I was twelve and I've been re-spinning it and re-constituting it until I'm kind of comfortable with where I am right now. It's been a very weird journey with a lot of allegories for my own realizations/journeys.

I was brought up in a fundamentalist Christian environment, learned to doubt and think critically, and ended up in a fluid sort of Taoist/Atheist frame of mind. I also have come to realize through extended research in religion that there is SOMETHING going on, some kind of spiritual or quasi-spiritual or interdimensional or DMT reality that is filled with dazzling implication...

So my story has a lot to do with that.

In the beginning, magic is hidden and forbidden by an old woman who claims that magic will bring about the destruction of the earth. Magic comes from the "Forge Stone," this weird thing that exists in four dimensions, and one of the villagers defies her and gets a hold of the stone. He creates a bunch of strange creatures using the magic and gets himself banished. Thus begins the hatred between the Creatures and Man...

It goes on and on, but the thing I like about it is it is unencumbered by tons of jargon and stuff you gotta LEARN about the world.

Is there a thread anywhere for sharing passages of stuff you've written for critique? *shrug* just a thought.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hi Nom. You can post to The Hall of Gifts.
Also The Writers Circle. I think you need to join that forum.

And welcome to the Watch.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

What Fist said. And gods know the Writing Forum could use a little action these days. :lol: Go ahead and apply to join, NNN. And btw, welcome to the Watch! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”