What's the last book that had you in tears?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not really on topic but I'm reminded of Groucho Marx' comment to a friend on his recently published novel, "I was convulsed with laughter from the moment I picked up your book to the moment I put it down. Some day I intend reading it."
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

The last book in a YA trilogy I was following had me on the edge of my seat with worry that a particular character wouldn't make it to the end, and *just* as I let my guard down...

It doesn't happen very often.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

William Styron's Sophie's Choice.

And so ended my voyage of discovery…in a place as strange as Brooklyn. I let go the rage and sorrow for Sophie and Nathan and for the many others who were but a few of the butchered and betrayed and martyred children of the Earth.
When I could finally see again, I saw the first rays of daylight reflected in the murky river.
This was not judgment day. Only morning.
Morning: excellent and fair.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Sorus wrote:The last book in a YA trilogy I was following had me on the edge of my seat with worry that a particular character wouldn't make it to the end, and *just* as I let my guard down...

It doesn't happen very often.
Which series? (I read YA after grimdarks become too tenebrous. At present awaiting two volumes of the Skulduggery Pleasant series to clatter into the mailbox after a wagon pulled by snails has dragged them across the mainland.)
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Frostheart Grueburn wrote:
Which series? (I read YA after grimdarks become too tenebrous. At present awaiting two volumes of the Skulduggery Pleasant series to clatter into the mailbox after a wagon pulled by snails has dragged them across the mainland.)
The Ashes Trilogy by Ilsa J. Bick. Post-apocalyptic dystopian horror. I'm not a big horror reader, and while brutality and gore don't usually bother me overmuch, there were a few things that were, shall we say, outside my comfort zone. I can handle human-related darkness, but I don't like it when animals get hurt. Probably wouldn't have read it if it hadn't been by one of my favorite authors, though obviously I did enjoy it enough to get emotionally involved. Am enjoying her new trilogy (Dark Passages) more.

I have not read any of the Skulduggery Pleasant series, do you recommend it?

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

michaelm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by michaelm »

Sorus wrote:I can handle human-related darkness, but I don't like it when animals get hurt
I find that too. Perhaps we're too accustomed to seeing/hearing/reading about human misfortune, and it's easy to find media that shows in graphic detail the results of the various events that go on every day.

Not so easy with animals though, particularly in something like a novel where it's hard to stop reading as you don't get to finish the book or miss something critical from the story.

Other things too - I remember being really affected by reading the story of Laika, the first dog in space.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”