The Staff of Law - speculation for TLD

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

yesman772003
Servant of the Land

The Staff of Law - speculation for TLD

Post by yesman772003 »

I haven't been active on the forum yet and I can't say that this topic hasn't already been covered, but... when Linden made the current Staff of Law, it was formed with structure (Vain), Earthpower (Findail) and the 'essence' of the One Tree (Law) through Vain's contact with it's power. It seems as though the 'essence' of the One Tree may have been burned out of it during Linden's confrontation with Roger and the croyel when it was in contact with the Earthblood? Maybe the wood element was simply transformed and still exists in the Staff, but I'm wondering if it could be that since the One Tree is dying (now that the Worm of the World's End has awakened), that it would have been a detriment for the Staff to continue to be formed from it's 'essence' and it will need a new infusion of Law... somehow? Caerroil Wildwood said the Staff's blackness was "lamentable", which doesn't really define his concern. Could the Staff be missing a part of it's essence (Law) and would anyone (who hasn't yet read TLD) care to speculate?
Coins and crosses never know their fruitless worth... Jon Anderson (Yes)
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I think it is certainly questionable whether or not the One Tree essence was burned out of the Staff in Linden's confrontation with Roger and the croyel through its contact with the Earthblood. It may still be there. Wildwood’s comment about the blackness being lamentable remains cryptic, as do the ultimate purpose of the runes he inscribed on it (though arguably they were put there to enable her to resurrect TC; the text of FR more or less states this when it says that they gave her “a supernal relationship with Law” or something close to that).

I think that the Staff has been transformed through Linden’s use of it (it mirrors the blackness and granite-like quality of her heart) causing it to be an extension of herself even more so than just because she made it. I think it is possible that the Staff will undergo one last transformation in order to enable Linden to do something necessary for redemption. That is just speculation, but I can see how she may need to use the knowledge she gained through interaction with the Viles, their descent into self-loathing and their original creations of loveliness to solve her personal dilemma.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

In fact, the more I think of it the more I think that the Staff may somehow purge the blackness turning it all white. At the end of WGW, TC had the venom burned out of him by Foul blasting him with wild magic. I can see some possible symmetry with Linden in this case, where somehow Linden has the blackness in her heart purified which in turn causes the Staff to become white.

But that is pure speculation. We have less than a week before we can RAFO! :biggrin:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After just finishing chapter 6 [fear not, no spoilers beyond ch2 info ...] I'm wondering if the Staff will be necessary to complete Jeremiah's construct. We've been told in AATE that rock, wood, orcrest and refusal are necessary. So what if it's the wood needed?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
yesman772003
Servant of the Land

a worthy resolution

Post by yesman772003 »

I guess it makes good sense that since the Staff was altered/'damaged?' by Linden's use of it in conjunction with Earthpower and ignorance that it would be restored by Jeremiah's inherited Earthpower and the knowledge he gained from moksha raver. I'm certainly satisfied with that resolution.
yesman772003
Servant of the Land

any chance of more stories of the Land by SRD?

Post by yesman772003 »

So... I'm looking forward to 'The Chronicles of Jeremiah - Chosen Son' ...since it seems like the story could somehow continue?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I don't know that I would say the Staff was damaged. I think it more reflected the damage done to Linden, or to her heart and emotions. Even with the blackness, it continued to express Law at every turn, was used for physical healing and percipience restoration numerous times. It certainly was altered, though, in Melenkurion Skyweir...

I did appreciate how Jeremiah restored it to its original unblackened state. I was satisfied with that bit.
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
yesman772003
Servant of the Land

Post by yesman772003 »

That's a good point earthbrah... I think damaged was not the right word.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

It's weird, though, like ultimately all it turns out is that the Staff and its fire changed colors for a while. The Staff still did the same things, just in a different color. That was it. And then it changed colors again... What was lamentable about any of that, really? I mean if it served the purpose of warning people against Linden's potential mania, then it would hardly seem lamentable at all.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Some thoughts.

The new Staff of Law lacked runes. This was pointedly stated several times. I believe that this is more than 'mere' symbolism. I believe (from Donaldson's several comments on the subject) that the runes show that the old Staff was infused with lore - the knowledge and wisdom and experiences of the old Lords. While the new Staff was not. Which means both that it was less limited and also less capable of specific tasks. However, also important, I think it means that the old Staff could be used by anyone - it's self-contained - while the new Staff was sensitive to who wields it - it was infused with Linden's passion instead of lore, and so it responds best to Linden's passions. When Wildwood added his runes to the Staff, he corrected the Staff along these lines - he added his lore, and made it more capable ... and also more susceptible to use.

And so the blackness has to be taken into account in the same way. It is not 'mere' symbolism. But it represents something. It arose from Linden's extremity, how she saved herself under Skyweir. Which is where her passion for vengeance, her unwillingness to forgive, also arose. The blackness, then, implies that the Staff has become more than an expression of Law ... it is Linden's weapon. It is Linden's knowledge and wisdom and experiences embedded into the Staff - but it is a lore of passion and vengeance.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Good points, WF.

The inconsistency re: the lack of runes from the end of WGW to ROTE and beyond has always bothered me. It seems that in the 20 years between writing both, SRD thought better of the lack of runes.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I am curious to know of any inconsistency. In WGW it says, "it did not need runes". And in ROTE, it says, "Its length was smooth, as if it had been polished lovingly for centuries."

Return to “The Last Dark”