15 years of waiting

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

15 years of waiting

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I think most of my predictions were wrong. Some proved true, though, even if in unexpected ways.

There are aspects of what I read that I don't understand yet, although I might down the road of rereading. I don't feel as amazed as I hoped I would, certainly not like I remembering feeling after my first time through TPTP or WGW. Hell, even FR instantly raptured me with the... well, rapture of its ending. On the other hand, it may very well be that this will be one of those books where some second time around makes the difference to my final evaluation of the text.

Now for something more particular. Not to reveal anything specifically except that a lot of the mysteries--the flood of them, even--were explained in the sense that even were their import confined to a seemingly small circumstance, or at any rate only one danger out of all of them, that was the point: every choice/moment/situation/problem/w/e counts, they all add up to the apocalypse's own apocalypse, for better or worse. So irrespective of whether there are any cryptic phrases in the Last Chronicles that didn't find an altogether satisfactory reference to something that added up in TLD, well, IDK what to say then, either for myself or anyone else.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

15 years, eh...makes my 9 seem paltry by comparison.

Myself, I had a number of rapturous moments in this book, most of which were reactions to the language Donaldson used to tell the tale. I will need to read again for specific examples, but I believe he did a great job with the diction in this book. On that level, I am fully satisfied. :D

I am not feeling the same sense of amazement I did at the first readings of TPTP or WGW either. I think I had my expectations too high maybe (maybe we all did?). As I said in another thread, I am coming to terms with the story as I wished it was and the story as SRD wrote it. A second reading will help, I believe.

I want to say that I agree on your point about how one instance/issue/circumstance not having any import beyond itself is an acceptable thing. Can you start that part of the conversation off with a specific example?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think I had my expectations too high maybe (maybe we all did?).
This is entirely possible. It's also safe to say we're not the same readers that we were 30 years ago.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

earthbrah wrote:15 years, eh...makes my 9 seem paltry by comparison.
I'm kinda misstating things, since when I was 12 I didn't really know that there would be a third Covenant series.
Myself, I had a number of rapturous moments in this book, most of which were reactions to the language Donaldson used to tell the tale. I will need to read again for specific examples, but I believe he did a great job with the diction in this book. On that level, I am fully satisfied. :D
Some samples of what my list would be:
absolute promise broken absolutely
incarnated starlight
the Despiser's beloved son, in whom he is well pleased?
I want to say that I agree on your point about how one instance/issue/circumstance not having any import beyond itself is an acceptable thing. Can you start that part of the conversation off with a specific example?
I think the Giants actually just outright state this when they analyze Covenant's interpretation of the "writ in water" omen.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

I guess I am one of the ones who read the chronicles from the first date of publishing to now..

just a mere 35 years. Not so much in Giant terms.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Right there with you, Ur Dead. While not "hot off the press", I read the 1st Chrons trilogy in 1980 and have grabbed every book since on release day.

Thirty-five, thirty-four...and so on years may not be so great a span to a Giant, but I acknowledge that there has been quite a bit of water under the bridge for me in those years!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

1983 for me, exactly 30 years so I was 31 when I started reading the Chronicles. And I've enjoyed all of every book - no complaints.

TLD to me was a fitting ending. Reading the comments of dissatisfaction posted by many of you I start to get the feeling that perhaps I am not a discerning reader - but what I want from a book like the Chronicles is to be entertained and to become emotionally involved. In this I am satisfied. And I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to learn more via the thoughts of other Watchers.

There are things I would have liked to find in this last book, like another visit to Revelstone after the Haruchi had returned, and I would have liked to know how Linden, Covenant and Jeremiah mended the arch etc. But I still have no complaints.

Yet I want more. Perhaps SRD can be persuaded to publish the bits he took out - in a similar vein to the one about the Haruchi (can't remember what it's called). Now that would be interesting.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

38 years of waiting.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
TWDuke77
Servant of the Land

Post by TWDuke77 »

Like you, Iolanthe, it's been 30 years for me. And yes, clearly we've all developed as readers in that time, as Donaldson has evolved as a writer.

Though there are a few areas of dissatisfaction (wasn't that inevitable?), overall I have to say that TLD is, for me, the best of the Last Chronicles. I thought the narrative flow outstanding, the diction excellent, the sheer pace of it enthralling (unexpectedly so, after AATE) and ultimately, the conclusion everything I wanted it to be.

Best of all, Covenant left us smiling. I think he deserved that :)
'Devalue the object of desire and the pain of loss diminishes' - Patrick Mcgrath
'Funny how secrets travel' - Bowie
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I started at about age 15 in the mid-80s, after the first 6 were already written, but I've read every book as soon as it was published since then. The Gap was an amazing time to be a Donaldson fan.

There were plenty examples of great writing, interesting phrases and word choices. I liked, "... utter and unutterable." It made me stop and think about the words (or you could say, "took me out of the story" :) ). I also liked how he worked, "You never loved me anyway" back into the story.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Read Lord Fouls Bane in 1982 - that makes 32 years that I have been living these books

Wouldn't have missed it for anything
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Not a race I know but at 38 years it's still "...and it's Peter leading by a short head....." ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
ozrics
Servant of the Land

Post by ozrics »

1983 for me at Uni so thats a mere 31 years. Must have done about 10 re-reads of the 1st and 2nd chrons. Not done a last chrons re-read yet since completing TLD - guess I'll be itchy for that in the summer. Not sure I'll go back to 1st or 2nd chrons any time soon as they're already imprinted on my brain.

Hellfire, to have had the Unbeliever with us for so long has been a real privilege.
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Absolutely. The 1st Chrons were an explosion of pleasure into my life. The first fantasy I had ever read, they led me into TLOTR [about a week after finishing TPTP] and years of reading this genre almost exclusively. Then TWL appeard with no forwarning [I spotted it by chance on the way home one day in a bookshop window - ran home and borrowed the money from my mother to buy it immediately, within 15 mins of seeing it]. I spent years waiting for the next two installments [always convinced I would die before getting to the end and that my last thought would be a wail of misery at having failed to experience the conclusion. But I made it.

I had heard of the possibility of a third series but never expected it to materealise and then one day....and you know the rest!

And somewhere along the road I fell into this place that has in it's own way been as joyfull experience as the Chrons themselves. No doubt - I owe SRD a debt of gratitude bigger than I could ever repay. He brought more pleasure into my life than [not everything] but just about anthing else I encountered.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

peter wrote:Not a race I know but at 38 years it's still "...and it's Peter leading by a short head....." ;)
1975?

Was a caesure involved, peter? :wink:
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:oops: Have I got my sums wrong Wayfriend! I had it down as me being 18/19 yo when first encountering LFB on the shelves of UK bookshops. At 56 yo now that gives me about 38 years [quick mental math thing; born 57, 67=10, 67 + 8 = 75] Yes 1975, was that not possible? [Hellfire it was a long time ago - cut a guy some slack! ;) ]

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Or a seizure?

1978 here... still got my Fontana paperback editions of the 1st Chrons, Gildenfire and the 2nd Chrons.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by wayfriend »

peter, LFB was first published in 1977 (and I think hardcover and paperback came out at about the same time). So I wanted to pull your leg, that's all.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

35 - 38! Whose countin'! :D

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Leg well and truly pulled Wayfriend :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Last Dark”