Was there ever a one word of truth or treachery?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

bwahlberg
Servant of the Land

Was there ever a one word of truth or treachery?

Post by bwahlberg »

Right up to the end, I sort of expected there to be a literal moment where this prophecy of the "one word" would come true. Yet...unless it was Covenant's reply to Foul's last assertions, I'm not sure there was such a moment. Or was the prophecy mainly dealt with at the end of TPTP?

(The way that Covenant actually did deal with Foul was surprising, and it is interesting to compare this resolution with the ending of the Wheel of Time series.)
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I don't think the 'one word' was ever supposed to be an actual word. To me, the important bit there is the 'one.' It could be an action, or an interpretation of expectations or something. It's certainly up for debate.

Covenant himself states in the text that the Lords had either misremembered the prophecy, or else they had always misunderstood it. I created a thread on a very similar topic here in this forum called 'save and/or damn.' Check it out...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
bwahlberg
Servant of the Land

Post by bwahlberg »

I think I have to admit that Covenant was far beyond the capacity for treachery with any action by the time of his meeting Foul in TLD. I should not have been waiting for any choices he might make that could fulfill the prophecy at that time. I suppose the prophecy was really meant to apply to his first battle with Foul in TPTP. Then, he was divided between belief and unbelief, and he could have damned the earth. And it makes sense that a prophecy found in the first trilogy is fulfilled by what was then the "end of the story."
The TC who faces Foul in TLD is far beyond the way he once was, and is so much more pure in his love, belief, courage, and commitment. A "word of treachery" isn't possible anymore. I guess I just wondered if the prophecy might also come into play at the new "end of the story" anyway. Somehow.

I am moved and impressed by the resolution of many of the "save or damn" choices - because they fall on the side of "save" even when the the subject of the choice is a horrible villain. When TLD begins, there is sort of a laundry list of bad guys who still need to be dealt with. A more typical fantasy novel might have dealt with every one of them by showing their punishment and destruction. Yet in TLD, time after time, a foe is dealt with by choosing "save" and not "damn". A raver is let go, "She" is healed and restored to herself, Kastenessen is returned to his people, Foul is spared, the Lurker is preserved. Elohim and Masters see the light. It is refreshing, so kudos to SRD!
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Well, when he says, "Now," before they remake the world, that's one word. And in his head he often says, "Now or never," so if he'd said, "Never"...

Return to “The Last Dark”