Things that you were expecting, which just didn't happen

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

bwahlberg
Servant of the Land

Things that you were expecting, which just didn't happen

Post by bwahlberg »

Hope this is an okay idea for a thread. Like many, I first read the chronicles in the late 70's and early 80's. With so much time for speculation and anticipation, we have all come to expect certain things to happen by the end. Now it is here. What was there that you expected, but which simply didn't happen?

Mine was a reappearance by the creator. After the cosmic dust settled, I expected the survivors to be able to converse with him. After all, did the heroes not save both his earth and his bacon? But no. No ochre robe, nothing at all. I can only assume that thematically, TC and LA had risen to fill his role, replacing him in a way, so that there was no point in his saying anything. (Thanks, maybe?) Or, maybe the heroes didn't ever get close enough back to the "real" world for him to be able to reach them. But if SRD wanted to justify a conversation, he'd have found way.
bluefoxicy
Servant of the Land

Post by bluefoxicy »

Linden never invoked the name of Kenaustin Ardenol to ask for aid.

Also in the last book, I expected the final ending to be simple failure. When it was explained that foul had to escape or die with time, I expected them to simply try to imprison him while the arch collapsed so he would be destroyed with everything else.

I didn't expect, but wanted, some explanation as to wtf the creator was doing! Why in the HELL would he put A-Jeroth in the Land, where he couldn't reach him, to wreak havoc over people he couldn't protect?!

I also expected the true name of Love to be revealed. I suppose Donaldson didn't believe he had the right. Unless that name is Emereau Vrai.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Small thing: At the end, with TC accepting Foul into himself, I was very much expecting him to make explicit the whole thing where him having Foul inside him is equivalent to the leprosy that he had considered necessary to his survival and efficacy. It's a very important point, one that was clearly intended, but SRD never pursued it even when he had the chance to in the epilogue.
call11back
Servant of the Land

Post by call11back »

I expected the Creator to make an appearance before the end. And I expected to see the Theomach at least once more.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I'm Murrin wrote:Small thing: At the end, with TC accepting Foul into himself, I was very much expecting him to make explicit the whole thing where him having Foul inside him is equivalent to the leprosy that he had considered necessary to his survival and efficacy. It's a very important point, one that was clearly intended, but SRD never pursued it even when he had the chance to in the epilogue.
I like that insight, Murrin. Well done!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I predicted that the final showdown would not take place in Kiril Threndor, and I also predicted the final confrontation would be in part with the Worm. I also expected the One Tree to be dead and regrown, not resolved in the epilogue.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I didn't expect for this, but I hoped to learn the story of how the Ramen came to care and protect the Ranyhyn.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

I'd hoped for the story of how the Theomach aka Kenaustin Ardenol overcame the elohim originally appointed to preserve the One Tree (I presume he had to do this when he and Berek first discovered the One Tree).
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by Domne »

I was hoping for more Creator, though Donaldson seems to keep with his theme that humans no longer need their gods (ala This Day All Gods Die) from the Wagner stuff that influenced him. Also I kind of expected Foul to escape and a more cosmic battle to ensue.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I expected a dour, downer of an ending. I am not ashamed to admit I was shocked by the "happy" ending. I was by no means disappointed! Just shocked.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Horrim Carabal wrote:I expected a dour, downer of an ending. I am not ashamed to admit I was shocked by the "happy" ending. I was by no means disappointed! Just shocked.
As it goes I think a more downbeat ending would have worked better. It was all a bit 'Field of Cormallen' at the end. And who was that Acolyte? Talk about irrelevant.
Pinone
Servant of the Land

Post by Pinone »

Hm. Well, I thought either Roger (or, at times, Jeremiah) would become Lord Foul. And I expected Linden to become SWMNBN...Linden sacrificing herself by going back in time along with Roger/LF to transform into those archetypal characters.

Or, failing that, regardless of the ending, I was hoping that we would be given a very, very, very subtle clue that all of this was in fact a dream...but not in an obvious Bob Newhart kind of way, but more like at the end of inception. But if that clue is there I missed it during the first read.

For the ending that we actually got, I thought an appropriate 2nd epilogue would be seeing an aged Jeremiah, after Thomas and Linden have both passed away, in an ochre robe confronting a new person on the street...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Well, we probably can lay that happy ending at the feet of Seareach. SRD's dedication page certainly suggests that she, as one of his advance readers, advocated for a happy ending because "all proper stories end that way..."
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Pinone wrote: I thought an appropriate 2nd epilogue would be seeing an aged Jeremiah, after Thomas and Linden have both passed away, in an ochre robe confronting a new person on the street...
Good God, that sounds terrible. Thankfully he didn't write that.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

I expected that the incident that made the hole in Linden's shirt would effectively be recreated in the Land.

I also expected Linden to confront the Worm with Forbidding.

And I expected that SHE"s true name would be revealed. But apparently SHE doesn't have one.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Pinone
Servant of the Land

Post by Pinone »

Well, the irony is that-- for a series that supposedly is too enmeshed in internal dialogue to ever be filmed as a movie-- we got a largely "mindless violence" conclusion capped off with a Hollywood ending.

He should have stopped at six books. The first two Chronicles were the greatest fantasy series ever-- bar none. Now the ten books are just another good one.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I expected that the incident that made the hole in Linden's shirt would effectively be recreated in the Land.
Great point! Should've happened for Jeremiah also.
He should have stopped at six books. The first two Chronicles were the greatest fantasy series ever
Sadly, I tend to agree.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Pinone wrote:Well, the irony is that-- for a series that supposedly is too enmeshed in internal dialogue to ever be filmed as a movie-- we got a largely "mindless violence" conclusion capped off with a Hollywood ending.

He should have stopped at six books. The first two Chronicles were the greatest fantasy series ever-- bar none. Now the ten books are just another good one.
That ending, by the way, involved a rainbow - Donaldson's God-like promise that there will never again be an end-of-days cataclysm.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

dlbpharmd wrote:
He should have stopped at six books. The first two Chronicles were the greatest fantasy series ever
Sadly, I tend to agree.
It is indeed sad that you haven't read a better fantasy series. :P (I kid, I kid. "Better" and "best" are hard things to pin down.)
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Roger and Thomas......just so weakly done.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image

Return to “The Last Dark”