Things that you were expecting, which just didn't happen

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Zarathustra wrote:I suppose Linden being pregnant would have violated the logic of the Land/reality dichotomy, much like TC's beard would have proven the Land to be a dream. But I'd always thought a breakdown between reality and fantasy was something we were going to be shown in the Last Chronicles, so the identity of the father of Linden's child could have been a constant source of curiosity and uncertainty throughout the tale, with a big reveal at the end one way or the other (or ambiguous).

The fact that SRD chose not to explore this relationship between reality/fantasy as an element of the story itself seems to make the story pure allegory--as TheFallen has been saying--rather than surrealism, as Lurch has been saying. The only mixing of reality/fantasy is in the setup concept of the Land itself, just getting our characters into that allegorical space. Once they are there, in the Land, there is no more any crossing back and forth between the boundaries. We're dealing strictly with dead characters. No possibility of moving back and forth between reality/illusion, or life and death.
I don't know that it would have violated the rules we had already seen established, in this sense. If Linden emerged from her 2nd Chronicles pregnant, that might have told me that, in the Land, Covenant was right when he said he was no longer impotent. And she got pregnant in the land.

And the Creator, to thank her for what she did, let her carry her child back. He already intervened in Covenant's "real" life to save it from the snake bite. And in that ending, he also gave Covenant another "gift," without, he said, asking for permission, in showing Mhoram sending the krill to Glimmermere, and letting him hear all the new titles they came up with for him.

It would, had he gone this right, adequately explained to me why the Creator didn't appear to Linden at the end of WGW.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Frostheart wrote:The Ironhand & co. did the Jeremiah-spanking in a fashion, by sulking and reprimanding him before the temple-building. Come on now, the pipsqueak managed to anger eight Giantesses! What a feat! Even Covenant with all his whining could not dampen Foamfollower's spirits!
Sure he did. From Lord Foul's Bane.

When Covenant is saying he gave up telling stories.

With three words he saddened him, two he further grieved, and with one word, he would break his heart. Something like that.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
DrPaul wrote: I doubt that moksha would be capable of much more than just random acts of malice and senseless destruction - and that in places out of sight, earshot and the range of other senses of the various powers for good.
He's free to roam the Earth, he's free to look for banes and powers to enhance his abilities. He's free to possess beings. He's free to cause all manner of evil for the people of the Land.

The Ravers are adept at survival and Jehannum will no doubt avoid Forestals and others with the ability to harm him.

With Lord Foul's dominance removed, his own will is able to return. He will enact his designs free from any oversight or control.

I assume he will be a major threat and a big problem for the Land.
I am looking forward to Stephen's children (if he has any) writing The Raver Chronicles. *NOT*
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

10 years from now: "The Really, Really Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.... and this time I mean it!" Volumes 1-5

:)
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

:spew:
RFlowers
Servant of the Land

Things that you were expecting, which just didn't happen

Post by RFlowers »

Akasri wrote:10 years from now: "The Really, Really Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.... and this time I mean it!" Volumes 1-5

:)
And each volume five years apart.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

[del]
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I think the way the ending was crafted--that it is open-ended--hearkens somewhat to SRD's Narnia influence, since the end of The Last Battle goes something like, "But this was all only the first chapter of the true story that never ends." (That is absotively posilutely not an exact quote!)

Return to “The Last Dark”