Most interesting characters of TCoTC

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

hurtloam
Stonedownor

Post by hurtloam »

I thought Esmer was simultaneously the most annoying (other than TC himself in the first two books) and the most intriguing character of all three Chronicles. The way his inner conflict is played out in his actions, especially some of the ways he manages to work for both sides at the same time (such as in the battle outside the remains of First Woodhelvenn, I thought was some of Donaldson's most creative work.

Stave certainly shows great character development over the Last Chronicles, but don't discount Branl here either. Granted, it takes something major to shake him up (Brinn chastising him and all the Masters, then having to cut his fellow Humbled to pieces to slay turiya), but he is the first Master to reverse Stave's excommunication, and the second, other than Stave, to fully commit to supporting Linden's purpose, although that becomes subsumed in Covenant's once Covenant seals up his mind. Certainly his attitude towards Linden has changed by the time he rejoins her outside of the fane.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to know any of the Giants very well. Rime Coldspray somewhat, but most of them seem interchangeable Quite a contrast from the lengthy development of Foamfollower's character, or even Honinscrave's.

Anele is quite an intriguing character, in the varying states of his madness and his vulnerability, and Liand shows some progress as well, but both get killed off too soon. Liand could be another Sumner, but has to settle for his role in awakening the Woodhelvennen to their heritage as his prime achievement. That and the rain he brings about in Salva Gildenbourne, but he needs Linden's help to make that effective. I thought Anele, the "Hope of the Land," would be involved heavily at the very end; it turns out otherwise.
Joy is in the ears that hear.
Cord
Woodhelvennin

Post by Cord »

Here is my 10 cents worth

1. Hile Troy
2. Lord Mhoram
3 Foam Follower
4. Bannor
5. Brinn
6. Stave
7. The First
8. Sunder
9. Pitchwife
Shihad
Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
Pepperliver Surfstalker
Servant of the Land

Post by Pepperliver Surfstalker »

1. Foamfollower
2. Kasreyn
3. Cail
4. Mhoram
5. Honninscrave
6. Hyrim
7. Hamako
8. Pitchwife
9. Trell
10. Bannor

honourable mentions: Memla, Callindrill, Bahgoon the Unbearable
My heart has rooms that sigh with dust
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Bahgoon the Unbearable
Really? Based on 1 song? ;)
Pepperliver Surfstalker
Servant of the Land

Post by Pepperliver Surfstalker »

That was a bit tongue in cheek, but yes I found the character interesting and would have liked to find out more about him and his adventures ;)
My heart has rooms that sigh with dust
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Pepperliver Surfstalker wrote:That was a bit tongue in cheek, but yes I found the character interesting and would have liked to find out more about him and his adventures ;)
Ok, I get that.

Return to “The Last Dark”