The Latest Potentially-Explosive Racially-Charged Murder

Archive From The 'Tank
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:I will still continue to call that organization "black lives matter, except when black people are killed by other black people, and then we don't talk about it".
And you will, in no way, be helping. The first problem needs to stop before we can expect the reaction to that problem to stop. Of course, there will never come a time when we don't have murders, racially motivated or otherwise. But we can hopefully make it more and more difficult for one person to slowly kill another in broad daylight with a world watching.

You are, in fact, making it worse. Because there's a second aspect to the problem, aside from the actual killings. And that is responses of "The blacks are all killing each other anyway." That tends to piss people off. So the next time one of these murders takes place, those trying to turn it into riots have an even easier time of it.

It's a nice plan, actually. I don't know what the payoff is. But hey, to each his own.
sgt.null wrote:Our resident democrats seem unwilling to argue the video evidence.
Maybe a thread about that topic? Who is insisting that we discuss state courts in the Supreme Court thread? Or animal rights in the human rights thread? Or Legionnaires Disease in the Covid-19 thread? Why is it that white police killing black people is not worthy of being discussed?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fist and Faith wrote:You are, in fact, making it worse. Because there's a second aspect to the problem, aside from the actual killings. And that is responses of "The blacks are all killing each other anyway." That tends to piss people off. So the next time one of these murders takes place, those trying to turn it into riots have an even easier time of it.
Actually, I am not. In my view, murder is murder even if the perpetrator is wearing a uniform and has a badge and murder is murder regardless of the ethnicity of the perpetrator or victim. If cop A kills suspect B then the officer in question is always placed on administrative leave pending the investigation; if charges are required then fire them and arrest them like you would any other criminal. What will help this is universal body cams--if your body cam shows it then you did it (or if it does not show it then you did not do it).

The rioters need to understand, though, that "being placed on administrative leave pending the investigation" is "justice", even if it does not look like something is happening right away. They always want a conviction immediately, conveniently forgetting "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". The rioters are reacting emotionally and want "revenge", not "justice".

The history of this thread started...I think it was the case where the girl got stranded, knocked on some guy's door, and he shot her through the screen door without even bothering to find out what was going on. "White cops killing black citizens" still belongs in this thread because those are definitely "racial" and "explosive".
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Actually, I am not.
You are. So many like you are fanning the flames. You are making it clear that you don't care what it feels like to be part of the group that has been on the receiving end of horror for centuries, and what it's like to then have to watch this happen again and again, even though all that racism is "in the past". People react well when someone empathizes with their pain. People react badly when someone tells them their pain means nothing because of this other thing. You are raising the level of anger, and making violence easier to provoke.

I don't know how it is that you cannot understand what it must feel like to be black and have to watch this kind of thing. Racially motivated or not, and there's certainly no way to know it's not when you're watching the video, watching those who are supposed to be protecting you actually killing someone who could just as easily have been you, knowing that your children are going to know this feeling of pain and helplessness, has got to be... I don't even have words for what that must feel like. This isn't about your view. It's about people in situations you never have to worry about being in.
Yeah, it could be you'll be in danger you didn't bring about. But it's not something you sit around worrying about. It's not something you can be sure is going to happen throughout your life. You're not teaching your children specific things to do and not do so that they don't get shot during a routine pull-over for not coming to a complete stop. Things that literally never crosses most white people's minds. You're not worried that your children will watch you get shot, or dragged away, for no wrongdoing on your part.

And they watch these videos, only to hear someone say they don't care, because "you kill each other more than the police kill you anyway."

You're making it worse. Knowingly. If not before, you know now.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Fist - I wanted Congress to work on a pice reform bill. Democrats could have asked for choke holds to be universally barred. They could have asked for universal body cams. They could have asked for a permanent division to be set up withing the fbi to database officers and kept track of filings against them. They could be mandated to investigate all police involved shootings.

Republican Senator Tum Scott wanted to work on police reform.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/politics ... index.html

Democrats blocked the bill rather than take it up and try to work a compromise. Wasting a chance to strike whe the issue was fresh and the public was calling for it.

So Democrats proved that black lives matter less than scoring points against Trump.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm not at all surprised.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Fist and Faith wrote:I'm not at all surprised.
And that's a problem. We the people elect these morons then we just accept the fact that they don't do a damned thing but get rich.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Indeed. And what is the solution? It's not voting. Anybody who gets into the same system is going to be helpless to do anything about it. And there's no way we're ever going to elect enough people with an entirely different mindset all the same time, so that they can support each other and actually do things different.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Well career political animal Biden isn't going to stop the grifters. I don’t know if we can effect a solution. Congress wants term limits for everyone but themselves. They are the problem.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Gaius Octavius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gaius Octavius »

Calling someone you disagree with politically an animal?

That's really low, sgt.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Meh. That's pretty mild as political insults go, especially after the last five post-escalator years. Not encouraged speech, but hardly worth twisting Sarge's tail over the phrasing.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

ur-Nanothnir wrote:Calling someone you disagree with politically an animal?

That's really low, sgt.
You're not even trying any more.

And if it is true that Joe Biden was taking kick backs, animal is the least of what we will be calling him.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fist and Faith wrote:You're making it worse. Knowingly. If not before, you know now.
Believe what you will; I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. You hold your beliefs with the fervor of religious faith so why would I take that away from you? In the meantime, I will continue to live in the real world and will continue to address the problem rationally. Incidentally, we have taught our two what to do--and what not to do--if the police pull you over or question you for some reason.

The latest "murder" in Philadelphia--only it really isn't a murder since Mr. Wallace refused to drop the knife after repeated orders to drop it--has resulted in the usual riots. "We are so upset that we are going to loot our fellow black-owned businesses and burn down our own neighborhood! That will teach you police not to be racist!" As I said, he would not drop the knife, had been on medication, and--wait for it--recorded some rap songs about killing police. In the thug culture, killing a cop makes you the creme de la creme and gives you all the street cred you could ever want. They start off hating cops and wanting to kill them, so perhaps the ones who are starting off with hate in their hearts should choose more wisely.

I am not going to hold my breath waiting for top-name Democrats to denounce these riots because they actually want these riots--it helps motivate their voting base. Of course, if Biden wins they will need the riots to stop and they will wind up stopping them with National Guard troops.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

https://youtu.be/PUxx4t-zBy0

That is the story about the man in Philadelphia that Hashi mentioned. At the end a civilian says police should have shot the suspect in the leg. Smh. Maybe there should be a mandatory high school class in criminal justice.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cherry picking, aka the fallacy of incomplete evidence, is a fallacious logical argument, as everyone knows.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Geez, what is the matter with you people? Okay it's clearly Education Corner time...
sgt.null on Tues Oct 27th wrote:Well career political animal Biden isn't going to stop the grifters.
ur-Nanothnir on Weds Oct 28th wrote:Calling someone you disagree with politically an animal?

That's really low, sgt.
First off "political animal" is a known and set phrase in the English language and is in no way insulting in the least. Not even slightly.
lexico.com wrote:Meaning of political animal in English:

NOUN

informal

A person who is interested in social and political issues, especially one who actively participates in politics.

link.
In fact, the expression was originally coined by no less an intellectual heavyweight than Aristotle.
Wikipedia wrote:Political Animal or Political Animals is a term used by the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle in his Politics to refer to a human being.

link.
...so no justification whatsoever for anyone to adopt any position of faux shocked outrage there then.

Which brings me on to my second point...
ur-Nanothnir on Tues Oct 27th when describing Amy Coney Barrett in the SCOTUS thread wrote:I think she's a whore and a cunt.
...erm.

So the guy who criticises someone (without any justification, as it happens) for calling Joe Biden a "political animal" and claims that such a description is "really low" and only comes as a result of disagreeing with Biden politically...

...himself the day beforehand quite pre-meditatedly decides publicly to call someone he disagrees with politically "a whore and a cunt"...

...which begs the very obvious question, on the "lowness" scale that he himself has brought to bear, how "really low" is the latter drippingly venomous and misogynistic, fanatically hate-filled example?

Anyone else able to detect just the teensiest and faintest whiff of blatant and abject hypocrisy here?

:roll:

These jaw-dropping double standards make me want to vomit. The sheer lack of self-awareness and objectivity on the part of some is simply staggering.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by sgt.null »

some have too much wrapped up in politics as their identity. As i have said before, if Biden loses too many leftists will lose their minds. There will be rioting and lootings and burnings.

If Trump loses the right (for the most) will simply go to work.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:You're making it worse. Knowingly. If not before, you know now.
Believe what you will; I am not going to try and convince you otherwise. You hold your beliefs with the fervor of religious faith so why would I take that away from you? In the meantime, I will continue to live in the real world and will continue to address the problem rationally.
You think rationality is what's causing all this? You think Chauvin acted rationally, and the riots were a rational response? You think telling everyone to stop because they're being irrational is going to end it all? How's it working so far?

The course of human history has been driven by emotion, not rationality. Wars fought for greed, and over women. Thousands put to death in a town after taking it in battle because some had mooned the king. Seriously, what does your real world look like?

I'm saying the emotions at this end of the history of racism in the US has a very big part in all this, and if we want to stop the insanity, we need to address those emotions. You will not even acknowledge them, because you live in the real world. Time to take your head out of the sand, instead of endlessly denying. Even in you don't like that anger and fear are driving forces, they are. Now and at all times in the past. Telling those who act in response to them that they are being irrational will cause more anger. Aren't you married?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Fist - we had riots thd first night in Houston. The police made a bunch of arrests that night and we haven't had a problem since.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... en-friday/

This is what should have happened nationwide. An adult response.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Excellent. I guess we're done with riots from now on.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Not at all Fist. Other cities let the leftists do what they wanted.
And now this...

https://6abc.com/walter-wallace-jr-curf ... y/7433377/

Van full of explosives found in Philadelphia.

How many dead would be enough for Democrats to stop this?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”