Fat Freddy's Drop
Katchafire
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It should certainly be "vouchsafed". :)
sfeinst
Servant of the Land

Post by sfeinst »

This stood out for me and I don't think I am reading it wrong. In hardcover, page 281, after Covenant and Avery get "married" and Linden wakes up and we are in her perspective, the book states:

At once, Jeremiah emerged from the temple. The sight of him both lifted and soured Linden's spirit. The emotions clenched inside him showed in hi aura. He could smile because she and Covenant were finally united - and because he had been able to sleep. But the effects of Kastenessen's possession persisted.

Since we are in Linden's perspective around this, how would she know about Kastenessen's possession? No one told her yet. As a matter of fact, it is stated on page 286:

For a moment, Linden could not respond. Kastenessen had taken him? She nearly cried out. Covenant had not told her. No one warned her.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Yeah, that's a mistake. SRD should change that bit in the next edition.
kevlar56
Servant of the Land

Post by kevlar56 »

DrPaul wrote:
rdhopeca wrote:I am going to have to reread too....there's a point where someone refers to one of the Forestals incorrectly...and it snapped me right out of reading...

it's a conspiracy to make us read the whole book again!
I'm pretty sure that's in the last chapter of FR where Caerroil Wildwood's runes on the Staff of Law are called "Caer-Caveral's runes".
I'm pretty sure SRD addressed this in the Gradual Interview at one point. IIRC, it definitely should have been "Caerroil Wildwoods's" runes. Hopefully, at some point Stephen will be able to do an 'author's re-edit' of TLCOTC and fix a few of these.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I think the following is a mistake. Please help me with it if It is I that is mistaken; top of page 186, " The force of Stave's plummet had ripped her arm out of his socket."..pronouns got mixed up.. Should be .. had ripped her arm out of her socket...or its socket..Unless her arm is a he, it needs fixin.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

lurch wrote:I think the following is a mistake. Please help me with it if It is I that is mistaken; top of page 186, " The force of Stave's plummet had ripped her arm out of his socket."..pronouns got mixed up.. Should be .. had ripped her arm out of her socket...or its socket..Unless her arm is a he, it needs fixin.
True, unless we're talking Twin Peaks-like anthropormorphic limbs... "I am the arm!" and all that.
hurtloam
Stonedownor

Post by hurtloam »

lurch wrote:I think the following is a mistake. Please help me with it if It is I that is mistaken; top of page 186, " The force of Stave's plummet had ripped her arm out of his socket."..pronouns got mixed up.. Should be .. had ripped her arm out of her socket...or its socket..Unless her arm is a he, it needs fixin.
Or unless her arm was in Stave's socket. :)
Joy is in the ears that hear.
hurtloam
Stonedownor

Post by hurtloam »

sfeinst wrote:This stood out for me and I don't think I am reading it wrong. In hardcover, page 281, after Covenant and Avery get "married" and Linden wakes up and we are in her perspective, the book states:

At once, Jeremiah emerged from the temple. The sight of him both lifted and soured Linden's spirit. The emotions clenched inside him showed in hi aura. He could smile because she and Covenant were finally united - and because he had been able to sleep. But the effects of Kastenessen's possession persisted.

Since we are in Linden's perspective around this, how would she know about Kastenessen's possession? No one told her yet. As a matter of fact, it is stated on page 286:

For a moment, Linden could not respond. Kastenessen had taken him? She nearly cried out. Covenant had not told her. No one warned her.

I do think the wording of this creates a contradiction. However, the intent was that Linden perceived that something terrible had happened to her son, the residue of which persisted in his aura. Since the reader knows about Kastenessen, SRD took the liberty of assuming the reader would understand him here.
Joy is in the ears that hear.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

hurtloam wrote:
Or unless her arm was in Stave's socket. :)
Stone and Sea, Cabledarm!! What a manner of quirkiness were you performing with Stave??

Good gods. Gives a whole new meaning to Haruchai resilience. 8O

Return to “The Last Dark”