Mistakes in TLD (Help SRD!)

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

dlbpharmd
Lord

Mistakes in TLD (Help SRD!)

Post by dlbpharmd »

This thread should include any mistakes or gaffes on SRD's part that he could correct for the MMPB release. I'm collecting these in case Romeo or Seareach ever decide to pop in.

TLD, Part II, Chapter 3:
Turiya Raver touched me, just touched me, and I got so scared that I was gone for days.
Linden meant to say "samadhi Raver."
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Okay, I can't quote exact location within TLD, but I promise you it's there - because it struck me so forcefully on read-through.

On one occasion in dialogue, Stave uses the contraction "I'm", instead of "I am". This is an editorial/proofreader miss, because SRD would never intentionally have any haruchai speak this colloquially.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I am going to have to reread too....there's a point where someone refers to one of the Forestals incorrectly...and it snapped me right out of reading...

it's a conspiracy to make us read the whole book again!
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

rdhopeca wrote:I am going to have to reread too....there's a point where someone refers to one of the Forestals incorrectly...and it snapped me right out of reading...

it's a conspiracy to make us read the whole book again!
I'm pretty sure that's in the last chapter of FR where Caerroil Wildwood's runes on the Staff of Law are called "Caer-Caveral's runes".
MikeW
Servant of the Land

Post by MikeW »

TheFallen wrote:Okay, I can't quote exact location within TLD, but I promise you it's there - because it struck me so forcefully on read-through.

On one occasion in dialogue, Stave uses the contraction "I'm", instead of "I am". This is an editorial/proofreader miss, because SRD would never intentionally have any haruchai speak this colloquially.
Perhaps it was intentional, to show the gradual "growth" and change in Stave's character? After all, no Haruchai would have previously allowed Linden to hug him - or smiled and joked with Covenant and Linden - or...........
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

You might be right, of course, but he only did it the once and early on in TLD - and bear in mind that the "normal" language of the Land's inhabitants isn't the haruchai's first language.

I dunno... it just felt very odd when I read it at the time.

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by MikeW »

You're probably right. My thoughts were based on you reacting "forcefully" to the contraction - since I reacted forcefully to a lot of what Stave did throughout the book, because he was so often acting out of character for the Haruchai.
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Different sort of reaction. Yes, I agree that Stave is the finest character in the LCs - though I had a sneakingly permanent interest in Esmer as well, so yes, the former's well depicted character development evokes a forceful emotional response.

My reaction to Stave's "I'm" was more of an intellectual one, a reader's "Clang! Hang on a damn second..." Proof-reading miss, I'm next to certain.

<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

Someone should send these three (possible) mistakes to SRD or his publisher so they can be fixed for the next edition.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Thanks for this thread, dlb.

I'm sure SRD would be grateful for a list of any errors people come across in TLD.

Like dlb has done, please provide quote and also the chapter you found the error in (you can provide a page number if you like, just note UK or US edition, although I think they're exactly the same).

Errors include typographical and also consistency errors, like the example dlb provided.

Romeo and I will compile a list of the errors when you're done and forward them (dlb, feel free to message me when you think it's done).

Cheers. Sea
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

Ok, so SRD would appreciate hearing about the errors you've found so please add more if you can (although one hopes there's very few).
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I need some help confirming the following:

1. Linden was touched by Gibbon/samadhi in TWL.

2. Linden was possessed by moksha at the end of WGW.

3. Linden first encountered turiya when she came to the Land in ROTE. Turiya was in possession of Joan. Linden again encountered him during her first transit through a ceasure, also in ROTE.

Having said that, my question is: At any point in the Chronicles, was Linden touched or possessed by Turiya? I can't think of any occurrence.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I think it is an error, dlb (in the text, that is). Don't worry. I'll forward it. :)
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

dlbpharmd wrote:I need some help confirming the following:

1. Linden was touched by Gibbon/samadhi in TWL.

2. Linden was possessed by moksha at the end of WGW.

3. Linden first encountered turiya when she came to the Land in ROTE. Turiya was in possession of Joan. Linden again encountered him during her first transit through a ceasure, also in ROTE.

Having said that, my question is: At any point in the Chronicles, was Linden touched or possessed by Turiya? I can't think of any occurrence.
The short answer to your question is no. When Linden is possessed by moksha in WGW, she learns that moksha was responsible for all the venom attacks on Covenant in TWL. By a process of elimination this means that turiya was responsible for the attacks of the rats and the eels in TOT, which were directed at Covenant and did not entail touching or possessing Linden. Turiya and moksha were the two possessors of the rubble creatures encountered by Linden and Covenant under Mount Thunder in WGW, and turiya takes over both creatures after moksha possesses Linden.
MikeW
Servant of the Land

Post by MikeW »

Only a typo, but on page 263 (US edition):
"The glittering among the leaves of the ur-Mahrtiir's tree had become a silver penumbra, purer that the brightness of Loric's krill, and more melodious." It should be "than" and not "that."
I know, a tiny thing, but....
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Then, of course, there's the complicated issue of how to reconcile the account of Caerroil Wildwood's passing in TLD with that given in TWL. The easiest way, of course, would simply be to alter or delete the reference to this event in the Soothtell scene in TWL.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

DrPaul wrote:Then, of course, there's the complicated issue of how to reconcile the account of Caerroil Wildwood's passing in TLD with that given in TWL. The easiest way, of course, would simply be to alter or delete the reference to this event in the Soothtell scene in TWL.
I don't think SRD will go that far with editing.
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

MikeW wrote:
TheFallen wrote:Okay, I can't quote exact location within TLD, but I promise you it's there - because it struck me so forcefully on read-through.

Perhaps it was intentional, to show the gradual "growth" and change in Stave's character? After all, no Haruchai would have previously allowed Linden to hug him - or smiled and joked with Covenant and Linden - or...........
Yeah. ANd if we have more Land books (Just not Covenant,) perhaps we'll come back to the Land and Stave will be like, "Hey, homes, why you got to get all up in my grill and all that."

Just further evolution of his character to mark his growth.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

chapter 6, pg122..a very awkward sentence suggests a word or two is missing..2nd paragraph begins.." Heading more north than east, the riders rushed down into a wide lowland like an ancient caldera."

Calderas don't rush anywhere.
Perhaps a fix would be..a wide caldera like lowland..or a wide lowland that looked like an ancient caldera...

In any case, as is, its not right. Maybe a grammarian can judge better than I. If it is correct, grammatically, then the author is having fun at " grammar's " expense.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

It is the riders who are rushing, not the landscape. Sentence is fine as it stands, IMHO.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “The Last Dark”