ELOHIMFEST June 21st 2014 the official thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

That actually is a very pretty dress. Even sword less it would be pretty.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

As we say in my guild, accessories are important.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

[E'fest Gathering In post Part II]

Here's my attempt to namecheck and acknowledge everybody else that I met that I haven't acknowledged properly yet (if I leave anyone out let me know and I'll do my best to make redress).

Jenn, what else can I say but, 'Mama'. I didn't really understand your rep on the Watch until I met you, and I quickly came to understand it all too well! :lol: A dynamo of creative disorder and chaos, a bayamo of brashness and brilliance. Anyone who invokes your name has no conception of the power of what it is they are summoning. Mama!

SD, thanks so much for all the lifts. It was wonderful to spend time with you and yours. It was a pleasure to get to know you. You don't make quite as many puns in person as you do on the Watch (or maybe I was a bit too drunk to catch them! :lol:).

Menolly, very enjoyable meeting you in person and spending time in your company. It was great to get to chat about the Pern books and McCaffrey with someone with such enthusiasm and knowledge. Must read the next one on my list!

Damelon, the man with the Giantish laugh! Had a great day travelling to Valles Caldera in your car. I'll hold you and Dlb to your promise to cross the Atlantic should we ever organise something 'Festish over here.

Cag, Bossk and Nathan: I have to deal with y'all as a group, since you almost seemed to behave like an amoeba. Add Jenn into the mix and you have a veritable primordial soup. Wet willies, Cag-hags, cargulls and Mamas! You say you all met in Elementary school and some might observe that you all never really left it! :biggrin:

Cag (solo), thanks so much to you and your lovely wife for inviting me into your home. Such hospitality! The kids are really great. I'll have to sharpen up my videogame playing skills for the next time. Your incondign love of all things Irish is astounding and a true sign of the quality of your character! :biggrin: As Shane might say, 'You're f*&#ing brilliant!'.

Coz, a real pleasure to spend time with you. A veritable fount of knowledge regarding plants, trees and herbs. You make Ruidoso sound like paradise and I now know more about Amtgard than I ever imagined I would :lol:

duke, a true Aussie wanderer. Roll up to the E'fest as if it was across the street, bop on around the States for a while afterwards and meander home to Oz like it was any other weekend 8) Some great conversations, especially the one in the pub on the Saturday morning. Just getting to sit around the table with people called wayfriend, duke, Cord Hurn (and ussusimiel) sharing our excitement before meeting SRD that evening was something else. Time was way too short for all we had to say. It felt a bit like a live Watch thread! :lol:

wayfriend, the muscle car was a surprise, but otherwise you were the the great guy I expected. I would have liked to have spent more time deep in Chronicles lore, next time, next time! Your question for SRD was a real toe-tingler. (Check it out when the videos go up folks!)

dlb, lorin tempted me over to the dark side of the Noo Yawk accent, but I have to say that your Tennessee drawl beat all. Your rendition of 'dozy bint' has yet to be topped and my attempts to get you to say 'feckin' eejit' foundered when you mimicked my Irish accent. We had far too little time to do justice to such fine company.

Romeo (and Juliet) it was very nice to meet you both. I didn't get a real chance to talk to either of you properly. Fine introduction to SRD, Romeo, the jokes just treaded the line and kept everyone on their toes!

Creator, great to meet you and once again you asked some great questions of SRD on the night. I didn't get to talk to as much as I would have liked, so my abiding memory of you will be as a Harry-minder :lol:

luci, we only got halfway through that conversation about the gendered nature of plot and magic; there's probably a Watch thread in it. I loved your heartfelt sentiments to SRD and it was apt (in a counterintuitive (not a Mordant's Need) way) that it was you who spoke in such a manner. (Another video highlight!)

kvickie, it was great to have you as a dinner companion. You had a fine big bag of books for SRD to sign. His arm is still in a sling! :lol: I think we passed your house on the way to Santa Fe. Did you see us waving? :lol:

lurch, I was sorry that we couldn't make it down to Phoenix (but not sorry to avoid the searing heat!). Progenitor of fascinating conversations, initiator of great bemused SRD expressions and fount of endless information about clouds, halos, aurorae borealis, glories.....

Mrs Null and Sarge, super to get to meet you both. I would like to have spent more time in your company and we will simply have to meet again to remedy that!

Cord Hurn, such a pleasure talking with you. If I am ever in Arizona again I will definitely look you up. Some have called you a Forestal (apt since you work in the forest :lol: ). Personally I found you akin to an Unfettered (although a very friendly and sociable one :lol:). A wonderful manner, the embodiment of the phrase, ‘courtesy is like a drink at a mountain stream’

jonnyredleader, a late and welcome bonus addition to the 'Fest. Along with duke we had a great discussion that I'm fairly sure that we solved a significant number of world problems :lol:

rdhopeca, (last but not least!), great to spend time with you, Rob. Really stimulating conversations about SRD and writing in general. We must kick off some threads in Gen. Lit. to sustain the connection.

I think that's everyone folks! Again if I left anyone out or committed some egregious faux pas let me know.

It was an immense pleasure to meet everyone and an amazing adventure overall. Thanks so much to everyone who was involved! :yourock:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

uss.. Haa, all conversations started were only to hear the wonderful Irish lylt from yourself. I'm glad all went so well for you. If you had made a side trip to Phoenix the heat might have made that not so easy to say. Its brutal. But I'm glad you had a great time of it. If you are ever in the neighborhood, stop in and say hi!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

ussusimiel wrote: rdhopeca, (last but not least!), great to spend time with you, Rob. Really stimulating conversations about SRD and writing in general. We must kick off some threads in Gen. Lit. to sustain the connection.
Same to you sir :) E-Fest is one of the few times I've been able to engage on the topic of writing in general in a way that I felt I was sponging off other people's talents :) Your input and Ali's in no small way has pushed back onto writing my Great American Novel(s) as it were, and I am very grateful for that.

Start up some threads!
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Happy to do it. :) Maybe we can resurrect the writing forum while we're at it.... ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

still waiting.............as Satu would say........HALLO.........

freakometer.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

What are you waiting for, lorin?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Savor Dam wrote:What are you waiting for, lorin?
A promised Freakometer. (for almost a month)
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

sgt.null wrote:I missed not going to the river. but we had much epic roadness ahead of us. I finally finished uploading all the pics to fb. now I need to figure the easiest way to place them here. any tips?

Too damn close to the edge. Me no like cliffs...................
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

lorin wrote:
What is a Freakometer?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

rdhopeca wrote:
lorin wrote:
What is a Freakometer?
I had a slight tendency toward freak outs during the road trip. Only a tiny problem. U. promised to make me a map that gaged levels and locations of these few little incidents. Looking for a pattern..............
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Savor Dam wrote:Here you go
Ha! That's cute. But I don't really remember these so called freak outs, so waiting for a summary.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..lorin, you don't like cliffs..!!!..the Grand Canyon must of been a continuous Freak out..and you went to Bryce, Zion, etc etc..?..uss, you are a real trooper!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

lurch wrote:..lorin, you don't like cliffs..!!!..the Grand Canyon must of been a continuous Freak out..and you went to Bryce, Zion, etc etc..?..uss, you are a real trooper!
We never made it to bryce zion. But I am telling you that Irish Mike tortured me. I went from one meltdown to the next. One of them was really bad.......really. He wanted to look over a cliff at the continental divide. He told me to turn and look at the snow. Apparently he said he was done and I didn't hear him from the wind. Then he went to follow a friggin raccoon. I turned and he was gone. I thought he went over the cliff. I started to go down down down........then he shows up.........and he didn't even have the raccoon!!!!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

lorin wrote:
lurch wrote:..lorin, you don't like cliffs..!!!..the Grand Canyon must of been a continuous Freak out..and you went to Bryce, Zion, etc etc..?..uss, you are a real trooper!
We never made it to bryce zion. But I am telling you that Irish Mike tortured me. I went from one meltdown to the next. One of them was really bad.......really. He wanted to look over a cliff at the continental divide. He told me to turn and look at the snow. Apparently he said he was done and I didn't hear him from the wind. Then he went to follow a friggin raccoon. I turned and he was gone. I thought he went over the cliff. I started to go down down down........then he shows up.........and he didn't even have the raccoon!!!!
Pretty sure they wouldn't have let it through customs anyway. ;)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

aliantha wrote:
lorin wrote:
Pretty sure they wouldn't have let it through customs anyway. ;)
Some wild animals over there furthermore carry yersinia pestis, so better refrain from petting every beaver.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

lorin is looking for something like this:

with her FreakOuts© marked to coincide with the Rocky Mountain high peaks.

A bit like this maybe:
..........................................................................Indep........ Fredonia to....uss stands near a cliff.....Leaving Las Vulgas............Generic...............Joint lorin and uss
...........................................................................Pass........Jacob's Lake....in the Grand Canyon.....Slough of Despond......Running On Empty.............Winslow, Az.
........................................................................lost hire...........run low.................................................................................low on gas...............End of Roadtrip
........................................................................car keys..........on gas...... 8O 8O 8O 8O........... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ......lorin FreakOut©...................blues
.............................................................................|......................|.. ........|.....|.....|.....|............................|................................|..................................|
.............................................................................|......................|....... ...|.....|.....|.....|............................|................................|..................................|
.............................................................................V.....................V..........V.....V....V.....V...........................V................................V.................................V

That's probably as good as I can get it. I hope that does the job, lorin :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

close but missing

lost keys in abq that Ali found
Screwed up reservations in north rim
You jumping off the cliff after the raccoon on the divide
you driving and me straining over the edges and finding god

( and a whole bunch others not worth mentioning)

annnnnd I want a NON freakout mention for hurricane, utah.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”