Don't suck the snake venom!!!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Don't suck the snake venom!!!

Post by DrPaul »

This is not really about the Chronicles, but about some medical information that may well have been accepted back in the 1970s when The First Chronicles was written, but which is now discredited and positively dangerous.

If someone is bitten by a snake, you should definitely NOT do what Covenant did with the little girl in TPTP. The links from this search explain why:

https://www.google.com.au/#q=snake+venom+suck

Of course none of us will allow this to detract from our enjoyment of The First Chronicles. For that matter, people shouldn't be relying on epic fantasy books written in the 1970s for current medical information, but I've known people to rely on stranger sources for potentially life-or-death medical advice.
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

I am listening to my audiobooks of the first chronicles as a "re-read", and I just got to this part. I was thinking the same thing. NOT HELPFUL!! Of course, no disrespect to the author- at the time that's what people thought you had to do. But wouldn't he have been taking a chance of infecting the girl with leprosy????
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

leeches then? :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”