My opinion on King, King flicks and Creepshow ...

The Dark Tower and other works of Stephen King.

Moderator: lucimay

Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

My opinion on King, King flicks and Creepshow ...

Post by Landwaster »

Just thought I'd mention that I liked King's cameo in the Creepshow movie!

Now, king, I read one page, a foreword, and he swore like a wharfie in that foreword, and I was so inimpressed I never read a page of the actual novel. Can't even remember which novel it was.

The movies made from King books, well they always seem to show promise but fail to deliver! The endings are abominations.

The one I really liked was Carrie.

It was great except for the ending.

Tommyknockers was 'ok'.

The Stand was 'ok'.

Umm the one with the guy with the teeth claiming one child from the island ... HATED IT.

Pet Sematary was 'OK' though again poor ending. DID like the imagery and soundagery of suddenly passing trucks on the road, though.

I've probably seen more of the movies made from his books, but dunno for sure which are his. Did he do Max OD? Can't remember.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

Doesn't he make a cameo or full role appearance in Every Movie ?
I thought that was his schtick ?
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
Seafoam Understone
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Seafoam Understone »

King is definitely a better writer than an actor without a doubt. Creepshow was a graphic novel penned by King and drawn by the same artists who done those old Creepy, Eerie and other gory graphic comics of the bygone age.

King has done some cameo's in his film adaptations but not all of them. It was his tribute to Hitchcock who DID appear in every film he made...but then Hitchcock was THE director of the films, King was merely the inspiration and a bad one from time to time.

Max OD? Are ye speaking of Ma-m-ma-ma-ma- MAX Headroom? That was done by a different actor altogether. Originally started out as a Pepsi commercial turned to a poor tv series that lasted only one or two seasons.
remember the Oath Of Peace!

https://ralph.rigidtech.com
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Maximum Overdrive. With Emilio Estevez. King wrote it, yes. A short story, from Night Shift, I think. I don't know if he had any other input.
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

The Shawshank Redemption is superb,imo. Another short story from Night Shift.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The funny thing about the Shawshank Redemption was that I never even knew King wrote that until about 2 months ago.

I'm not a big fan of prison movies, too violent..etc. But that one I have always loved. It amazed me to find out King wrote that, because until recently, I just associated him with the "horror" genre.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Maximum Overdrive was an awful movie inspired by the brilliant story "Trucks" from Nightshift. The Shawshank Redemption was adapted from a novella in King's "Different Seasons" entitled "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption". Another fabulous King movie adapted from "Different Season's" was "Stand by Me" which was based on his story 'The Body". His movies are hit or miss but the source material, for the most part, is brilliant.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Yes, thanks for the clarification, Brinn. I didn't think I had that quite right.
It's been so long since I read all those things. Stand by me is a very good movie.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Stand by Me was awesome!!! :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Dromond wrote:Maximum Overdrive. With Emilio Estevez. King wrote it, yes. A short story, from Night Shift, I think. I don't know if he had any other input.
Um, yes, he had additional input...King actually directed the movie. And after the fiasco that became of Maximum Overdrive, I doubt that any studio will ever grant him the director's chair again...
Roland of Gilead
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Roland of Gilead »

I recall reading once that King himself admitted that Maximum Overdrive sucked, but he still had fun and learned that directing is a very special and difficult skill.

I doubt if he would ever even want to direct again.
"I am, in short, a man on the edge of everything." - Dark Tower II, The Drawing of the Three

Return to “Stephen King Forum”