Malachite and Malachi

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

ozrics
Servant of the Land

Malachite and Malachi

Post by ozrics »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

It certainly didn't escape me that Malachite - the rock that Jeremiah required to create his fane bears a striking resemblance to Malachi - the prophetic last book of the Old Testament which ends with an expectation of the coming of the Lord and of the one who will prepare the way for the Lord.

Indeed Malachite itself is said to have many metaphysical and healing properties. It is often called a stone of transformation, assisting one in changing situations and providing for spiritual growth. Also it is said to heal on physical and emotional levels, drawing out impurities and stimulating the Life Force throughout the aura and body.

Jeremiah as Saviour is an interesting concept as is Elohim as pure earthpower / life force

Guess Malachite was used by SRD intentionally to make us all think - rather clever I think :wink:
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road."
Stephen Hawking
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Thanks for that info!.. Donaldson living in Albuquerque NM had better kno of the Southwest American Indian's beliefs of malachite, a greener cousin to turquoise, in that both are found in copper deposits,,and are believed to have special powers

That the keystone to the Elohim fane had to be made of malachite,,i think..says more about the Elohim..I mean..just to get the Elohim to hide out in there..took healing a bunch of fear and paranoia...Yea,,the Elohim had it all wrong about Jeremiah and had to change. ..or as you put it..transform..
Nice metaphor in the malachite.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Malakias, huh? Might have to glance at that before my dissection (The temple chapters, surprise surprise, my favorites in the book... ;)), albeit that I'm not well versed on kristianity. Understood the significances of Jere and Mahrtiir's names, though.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Excellent. Given SRD's roots as the offspring of people dedicated enough to "kristianity" to become missionaries in India and Frostheart's deep knowledge of so many systems of myth, her perspective on the chapters she dissects should be very educational.

Let me take pains to make sure none misunderstand and think I am being facetious. SRD’s roots do not define him; clearly he knows much about a wide range of belief systems. Frosty’s breadth of knowledge is perhaps only exceeded on the Watch by Syl or Fist. Syl has left the Watch and Fist does not seem to esteem the Last Chrons enough to comment on them as literature.

I love the books…but my depth of knowledge is not in cultural myth.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Sorry I don't have a spell checker on this gimmick. Christ is written Kristus in Finnish and religions always lowercase. Never remember they're uppercase in English.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

...aahhh...freekin Donaldson is so good...Chapter 7 answers the malachite question before it is asked and then answered obliquely by Jerry...Its there or ..by whats not there that we are told what the special property is and hence, why malachite. But the author makes a mystery of it and even tells us he has done so. Its a forest for the trees thing and pretty damn clever. If you have read any of the author's Axbrewder/Fistoulari novels,,you mite think on Mick's way of figuring out the mystery. It seems the author calls for that technique.

I will not tell you any further. Discerning it by your own ,,makes its value and appreciation that much more highly regarded.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Last Dark”