KWBC: Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig - Discussion

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

KWBC: Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig - Discussion

Post by I'm Murrin »

My apologies for letting this slip my mind for so long - the topic should have been posted a couple of weeks ago.

For our final mnoth in December, the Kevin's Watch Book Club pick was Blackbirds, by Chuck Wendig. If you read the book, tell us here what you thought.

I actually read this one back in November, in a single day, and enjoyed it a lot. Chuck Wendig certainly has a distinct voice, and a way with creative profanity. I've just bought the second Miriam Black book, and will probably get the third.

Anyone else have thoughts to share?
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

I read the first chapter (which was interesting) on the author's website, but I missed the free download date and now it seems that the book isn't available 'til April.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

That's... odd. Would think it would be available all the time, it's been out a couple of years.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

You're right! Just checked again, must have been looking at an old post. I'll see about getting it and get back when I've read it.

u.
Are posted on the door,
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Got the book and have read as far as chapter 14. Not bad so far. Good concept and painterly writing.

u.
Are posted on the door,
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Finally finished Blackbirds. Pacy and well-written; more of a horror than anything else. Reminded me of The Dead-zone by Stephen King. I thought that it maybe ended a bit too neatly and easily. I also would have liked to have found out about what happened to Miriam's baby, but Wendig may have been saving that for the later books.

This kind of book would not normally be to my taste, a bit too violent and obviously postmodern. The almost casual mix of graphic violence and graphic sex generally puts me off. However, there is more to this book than just that. There are surprising moments of tenderness and intimacy that leaven the dominant tone and raise it to a different level.

I don't know of I'd read another one, but it was definitely worth reading this one. Thanks for the suggestion, Murrin!

u.
Are posted on the door,

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”