Not disappointed , not enthralled

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Trumpet77
Servant of the Land

Not disappointed , not enthralled

Post by Trumpet77 »

I enjoyed the last chronicles overall. The real world build up to Linden and Jeremiah's summoning in Runes is awesome, all the time travel into the stuff of legends in Fatal, the lost deep & pursuit by the bane in Against are all awesome to name a few moments. I liked this last book and enjoyed it all - the build up to the last three chapters before the epilogue was great imo - I know not everyone feels this way but I loved it. I loved Linden/ She / Urvile chapter - felt that she didn't really have to be named I guess - that's very SRD to not do so. "I am myself" ... I re-read in case I'd missed something - no? Ok fair enough - good on you then girlfriend , I'm myself too , ok let's get to foul .

Jeremiah's chapter was a good payoff I think.

It's always great to finally get to Foul.

That was ok too - some good bits. Foul showing his might . Roger was a bit mellodramatic I knew Thomas would not do what we would hope and kill The Despiser ... I am ok with how the plot went down with the union... But I do think Donaldson could have spent another page or so - or even an extra couple of paragraphs describing how / why Covenenant could absorb the grey slayer or why the Haurachai approved of TC becoming one with Corruption.

That felt underwritten .

I know people are complaining about the epilogue . I didn't mind that we didn't get a blow by blow of the rebuilding of the world - he's done the " the Death Star explodes, cut straight to the medal ceremony " trick ... There were a few bits there that could do with more I for maybe.

The creator not showing up & no morning after crime scene in our real world were a bit disappointing oversights .

I did like the book, but like many of you I found the ultimate foul/covenant payoff not as strong as the first two chronicles.

Meh. Sequels whatcha gonna do?
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Stats

Post by SkurjMaster »

I would not want to have NOT read the Last Chronicles, however, I think the stats of the books contained on the Last Chronicles page is very indicative of the decreasing level of satisfaction. Check out the Topics vs. Posts data. Of course, to be completely intellectually honest, this could have something to with the number of fan questions being answered as the books came out.

Just some thought.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Might seem a bit wierd, but I'm hoping it's possible to do a combined volume [might be difficult with 4 books] so that I can buy it and actually see it standing alongside the combined vols of C1 and C2. I just have this feeling that once I can do this and then tackle the whole Chrons saga in one gulp - the thing is going to fall into a much better perspective for me. Strange I know - but there it is.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “The Last Dark”