Can We Go There?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Unique and Quaint Words for Sex

Post by OhYeah »

Certainly Donaldson could have come up with some quaint words from yesteryear for the act of sex. He has really come across some doozies to describe and inner turmoil feelings that Linden and Thomas have felt over their lives in The Land.
paula1326
Servant of the Land

Post by paula1326 »

lurch wrote: In a book so alive with realizing choices with Hope , Love and Compassion.." when they were done" seems to have the death knell of the mundane about it. The line sticks out like a red flag in its betrayal.
From my perspective I was pleased that SRD allowed me to fill in the details of their consummation through my own lens. That way I made it be what I needed it to be, not pre-programmed by words.
7/10ths That's where it's at
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

:goodpost:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

...and I respect the privacy of the most intimate perspective. Yet, it seems a dark humor I suppose ,that in a Epic Fantasy, the one item we all fantasize a lot about, the author punts with the kick of " when they were done."

..From a metaphoric pov, that Hope and Love became entwined, unified, one ,is the important message. Heres a thought,,,if the author had expounded on the act of it..The Worm ( we, the reader) may be slowed to the Worlds End, ( the end of the book or story) to the point of no longer being a threat. ..we'd never make it to the end...?
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I must say that I prefer SD's Hitchcock approach to the "honeymoon" scene. The shower scene in Psycho was much more frightening than seeing blood and guts all over the place - the imagination took over. I thought he also handled the culmination of Terissa and Gereden's relationship beautifully.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I...Nice analogy!! blood going down the drain said it all. There is a certain..." time" element in, " when they were done" isn't there?..Its kind of reinforced with Jerry's are they done yet..Coming from the narrator, when they were done,,has a subtle envy to it as well as a tiny bit of snark, as in,,that took long enough,,So, if read coming from the narrator, " when they were done" has shades of implications left to the imagination, like the shower curtain rings popping loose in Psycho had.

I just made a comment on the many uses of " scale" in this book, elsewhere. Its funny, but there is even a " scale" implied in the comment.." when they were done"
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Zarathustra wrote:It's a sad fact that Americans are more comfortable with depictions of killing than depictions of fucking. Hell, just look at the words themselves. One of those is a "dirty" word, while the other is not. Sure, I could have chosen, "make love," but there's not even a "dirty" word I could have chosen for "murder." That word is as bad as it gets, for the worst thing a human can do to another, and yet we can say this word in almost any social context without feeling embarrassed.

While Donaldson may have thought that it would be gratuitous to add an explicit sex scene to the book--perhaps even intruding upon their privacy--I don't think it would have been any more gratuitous than exploding heads or eviscerated torsos. Nor would it be any more of an intrusion upon the private than the ubiquitous inner monologues to which we've been subjected.

I don't think it's funny, at all. I think it's sad. We got more description of Lena's rape than this consummation of marriage.
I more or less agree. Skipping over it was not unexpected, though, since he had done it in the second series, too. The scene with Linden glowing and all the giants smiling and in the know to imply that TC and Linden had been having sex. Also, there was the implied scene with The First and Pitchwife going off to the trees for a last fling before they got to the end of the road. I thought it was a shame those scenes were skipped over and thought it even more so in this third series.

We don't need to know the exact length or width of TC's manliness or if Linden likes to stick a finger in from behind while she's down there, but if we can have all the violent and gory details described and be subjected to chapters of group therapy from inside someone's head, we can handle a little bit of tenderness between the two main figures in the series since that seems like it would be just as important to witness as the nervous breakdown scenes in the development of the characters. The entire book is a group therapy session; why fade to black when the patient has a breakthrough? At least the 'Oh, Covenant!' line might get a double use. :P

And, exactly right about more details of a rape than the marriage night.

In SRD's defence, he did the 'when they were done' part with the ending of the book, too. So, for those who didn't like the ending, he did set a precedence mid-book with the marriage night. :P

Just for fun, since we know that SRD loves his fancy words, if he did write the sex scene, which fancy words would he have used instead of 'fuck'? Would TC and Linden have engaged in 'crepuscularly furtive fornication in the gloaming while the winds susurrated'?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

HAA!!..out of all the threads and posts , you chose this one to reply to on your return. I too have returned to this site after a long absence. And , yes, after a review and ample help from posters here, I have reconsidered my original perception of the stark mundane , " when they were done."

I have observed that the art work of the front cover illustrates what was going on at the time of Thomas and Linden consummating their marriage. I have observed that the gold medallion also on the front cover, announcing, " The Climax of the Entire THOMAS COVENANT CHRONICLES" is a very probable double entendre'. Matter of fact, the whole front cover art is a display of double entendre.

So ur-mahrtiir sings in the back ground . Silvered willow leafs dance about. Oxygen deprivation perhaps but if the author was to do more than..when they were done..howabout ur singing..something like Chuck Berry's " Reelin and Rockin"..until the break of dawn indeed! Oh! thats right, there is no sun rise ..well now! Maybe mahrtiir doing a Vegas lounge act impersonation of just about anythin by AC/DC...? ..uhh okay, maybe not...Any rock and roll would do , thats why its called Rock and Roll afterall.
pg4 TLD
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Is that right about 'Rock and Roll'? Someone told me that Jazz was a slang word for fuck [ :? ], so jazz music is 'fucking music'. Is every music named after fucking then? Yeah - I think TLC's could have been lifted with a few hardcore XXX scenes; we're old enough to take it! :lol:
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well, there's horizontal polka as well. Musical activities. Not sure Viking metal would work here, though. ETA: nevermind, there's this.

Bit of a voyer that ur-Mahrtiir, what with announcing to the Earth entire the climax of Th...well.

While we lament the lack of lovey-dovey scenes, someone should write a smattering of good-quality, intense First/Pitchwife adventures; they'd get at least one enthusiastic reader. :twisted:
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Mon May 12, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

peter wrote:Is that right about 'Rock and Roll'? Someone told me that Jazz was a slang word for fuck [ :? ], so jazz music is 'fucking music'. Is every music named after fucking then?
Pretty much [adding to Frosty's horizontal polka...which isn't used much in the U.S. except in certain areas [some areas of Buffalo, NY for example]]...
There's the horizontal Bop [polka being a two-step, bop originally had more complicated jazz rhythms...till the rockers stole the term.]
Oh, and Swing, and Boogie.
[[in most cases...except rock-n-roll...the musical definition/use before it became sex-slang.
Jazz might go either way
as far as which came first.]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

uhh..so..let me guess...the Accordion also is ..still quite the thing in certain areas,,some areas of...say.. Buffalo NY for example..?....I just..I'm.. I haven't recovered yet from the Heavy Metal Punk Accordian stylizations of Viking Rock..Pray they don't discover the cow bell!
pg4 TLD
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Sounds intense!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Heh...have y'all seen the AC/DC-playing-Flaming-Bagpipes guy? Cracked me up.
I think he's on youtube....
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

lurch wrote:I haven't recovered yet from the Heavy Metal Punk Accordian stylizations of Viking Rock..Pray they don't discover the cow bell!
Well I can suggest the cowbell to Jonne when they next hang around outside the metal club. :twisted: "Hanuri" (accordion) refers to a...different body feature here, though; some bands play around with organs in a variety of Goth metal songs.

The cowbell can be replaced with other instruments, however...
Here they have bagpipes and an accordion.
Here a hurdy-gurdy and a Saami drum with the beloved accordion.
Kantele, jew's harp, some pipes...the accordion might lurk in there somewhere... :twisted:
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

what better time than now for The Goddess!!??..Judy Tenuta!!!
media.photobucket.com/user/classactcomic/media/judytenuta.jpg.html?filters[term]=judy%20tenuta&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=1
pg4 TLD
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Well, with the Worm on the way and all, I wonder how long it took for them to be "done," and...

My worm's not as big as the Worm, Covenant thought, but more comes out of it...

Return to “The Last Dark”