a new character to dislike/distrust 1st Half

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

medusanyc
Servant of the Land

a new character to dislike/distrust 1st Half

Post by medusanyc »

almost half way through TLD and i am braving this forum to post what has been on my mind. avoiding any other topics that might end up being spoilers.

but i have to say one character seems to be earning my ire. no, i am not a member of THOOLAH. in fact, linden is such a bad ass in these books any disgressions are forgiven (also she wasnt any less wimpy than covenant in the first series-well maybe a little:need a re-read of the 1st two trilogies, prob been 20 years since last read)

AND that character is JEREMIAH.
Spoiler
i dont like when he snapped at linden when about wanting to make sure that what he wanted wasnt available before saying yes
i also didn't like when he
Spoiler
keeps hiding his emotions of dislike for what the company is doing around him
seems like he really is ready for desecration himself. his attitude led
Spoiler
nearly to stave's death and he seemed less concerned about staves condition than how his mom would react to his death or hurt
he has done some amazing things but his vindictive attitude has got me disliking and distrusting him....
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Then you may really like it when ..finally..he sees what his " Mom" has experienced in her life and thereby gains..' Compassion"...What irritates you is ..the gradual maturing of Jeremiah.

Its stated clearly that Jerry is basically a kid in a young mans body. So, in a compressed manner, we get to see him Mature..and yes,,we have to know from what ...to what..in his maturing arc..So yea,,we get to experience some of his rude and crude,,some of his innocence,alot of his pretense,,alot of his fear, etc etc etc..BUT..we also get to see him mature..Nothing stands alone in this book. All is connected. So what irritates..is eventually connected to what pleases..What is it, chapter 9 or 10,,Jerry alone with the Giants and Stave getting the malachite and building the fane..Those chapters are all about Jerry maturing .Jerry does show more concern for Stave and Cablearm after staves stunt,,than for the success of the malachite mining..Thats a step forward..Even when Linden returns, he still got some inner conflicts to deal with and he gradually works'em out..but as he does, we get to deal with the wonderful attitudes of the average teenager..( much sarcasm implied). Point is..hes still conflicted by his interior fears and his outward appearances and behavior... as we all are.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
medusanyc
Servant of the Land

Post by medusanyc »

I have the strong feeling he will do some stupid things but in the end will probably be a key player in saving the land
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Keep reading (hanging onto your hat), and find out!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “The Last Dark”