2013 Watchies Nomination Category Suggestions

Spotlighting Watchers and posts that go Above and Beyond the call of duty.

Moderators: Menolly, [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

2013 Watchies Nomination Category Suggestions

Post by Menolly »

It's that time again. Time to kick off the 2013 Watchies!

Let's begin by suggesting categories for this year's nominations. Other than the classic categories which will automatically be included:
  • Best SRD-Related Post
    Best SRD-Related Thread
    Best Dissection
    Moderator of the Year
    Newbie of the Year
    and
    Watcher of the Year
any suggestion can be made. It will take a second to become a category with it's own thread for the nominations. Suggestions for categories will go until a week from today, so 11:59 PM PST on February 4th, 2014.
...I know better than to write that as 02/04/2014, as someone would probably think I mean April 2nd, 2014.

Remember to make use of the 2013 Spotlight Thread (not that there are all that many posts) to remind you of categories for nominations.

I'll update this post with seconded categories to keep us all current as the categories fall in to place.

Ready? Set...
Go!
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Well, I'd heartily give my support to:-

"Watcher Whose Posts Are Most Likely To Make You Think".

(which pretty much sums up the reason why I appreciate KW).
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by wayfriend »

Can we have a 'Best Dissection of the Year' this year? The last chapter we dissected was in 2012. I don't mind broadening the interpretation of the category a bit, but we'd need to have something that's not covered by 'Best SRD-related thread' or '-post' I would imagine.

Also, I always want to support the arts. I'd like to see some art categories. Poetry, writing as well.

And maybe a best game show thread. (Of which Win Wayfriend's Money is not even a contender in 2013, before you go there. :))
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Wayfriend,

A best poem of the year thing would be awesome! It could also be fun to do something like, most posts or topics 2013.. that would be kinda fun.. maybe.. probably not, but i like the idea. The numbers might get pretty high!
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Rau Le Creuset wrote:It could also be fun to do something like, most posts or topics 2013.. that would be kinda fun.. maybe.. probably not, but i like the idea. The numbers might get pretty high!
These kind of statistical retrospectives used to be done every year by Matrixman...but he has been MIA for a few years and nobody has stepped into his shoes for this. If you have an interest in such, look up some of the posts he did and consider pulling some numbers together for 2013. I don't think I am the only one who misses these.

Watchy awards are more oriented to categories where the selections can be voted upon...matters of quality and preference, rather than quantitative measures where the answer is cut-and-dried computable.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Watchy awards are more oriented to categories where the selections can be voted upon...matters of quality and preference, rather than quantitative measures where the answer is cut-and-dried computable.
Understood. I'm excited to see who's winning the awards!! are there nominees? How do we vote?
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Rau Le Creuset wrote:
Understood. I'm excited to see who's winning the awards!! are there nominees? How do we vote?
There WILL be nominees, and a voting procedure thread/explanation...and you can be part of both...
But that's the next step...
You probably won't be able to miss it...
It will likely be a HUGE MENOLLY SPAMOCALYPSE of "Watchie" threads.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Vraith, that is old news and deserves to be retired. Yes, four years ago, our Gracious Concierge was a little enthusiastic in her approach to promoting the Watchies. Has not her approach since then been more...moderate?

Rau, right now, we are picking the categories we want to consider this year, beyond the few perennial categories she listed in the opening post. That way, we should not end up with categories that won't garner nominees. The will of the Watch varies from year to year...

Next, nominations will be open for the chosen categories. Noms will need to garner seconds to make it to the final Watchy ballot, if past years practice is any guide. Discussion of the nominations will probably be held in separate threads, as the nomination threads get cluttered if discussion happens there.

Once noms are closed, Menolly will put out a ballot and we will vote. Eventually, the winners will be announced and be entitled to add Watchy winner items such as you see at the left side of my post.

Maybe in a couple years, Jay will actually add the items to the Store so winners can buy and display them. Still waiting for last year's... :roll:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

If y'all would list the categories you would like to suggest by line item in your post, that would make it much easier please.

If there have been no dissections in calendar year 2013, then there is no point in having that category. I assume game threads would fall under a best mallory's thread category, if it is suggested and seconded. But why couldn't WWM be eligible? Did we not have contests there this last year?
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Yes, there were WWM contests in 2013. Survivor: Sarangrave concluded at this time last year and there were some shorter games thereafter, most recently a game in August-September that did not draw much participation...but inspired Deer of the Dawn to start her own giveaway game.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

wayfriend wrote:Can we have a 'Best Dissection of the Year' this year? The last chapter we dissected was in 2012. I don't mind broadening the interpretation of the category a bit, but we'd need to have something that's not covered by 'Best SRD-related thread' or '-post' I would imagine.
Menolly wrote:If there have been no dissections in calendar year 2013, then there is no point in having that category
The idea of broadening is not bad, particularly since the dissections are alive while discussed, so why not that? The best dissection discussion nomination or something like that. Still, I find it sad in a way - I could understand saying there is no competition or that there were't many, but to say there were none... poor, poor Gap Cycle dissections, ignored as always kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23082 :(
A role-player, beware
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Effaeldm, you are right! My apologies, I did not see that dissection.

As far as Best Game, I was thinking that some of the "Bad" games might not be in Mallorys... if they all are, then that's another lame suggestion on my part.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:Vraith, that is old news and deserves to be retired. Yes, four years ago, our Gracious Concierge was a little enthusiastic in her approach to promoting the Watchies. Has not her approach since then been more...moderate?
And Richard Nixon is dead, but it's still funny [sometimes] to shake ones jowls [even if one has none] and say "I am not a crook."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I would like to again suggest two poetry awards. as linear and non-linear poems are different beasts.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just in case nobody else suggests them:
  • - Best Debate

- Best non-SRD-Related Post
u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Vraith wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:Vraith, that is old news and deserves to be retired. Yes, four years ago, our Gracious Concierge was a little enthusiastic in her approach to promoting the Watchies. Has not her approach since then been more...moderate?
And Richard Nixon is dead, but it's still funny [sometimes] to shake ones jowls [even if one has none] and say "I am not a crook."
Who ratted me out? Dam-sel and Menolly both mock me frequently for my Nixon impression...but for this to have made its way to Vraith prompts me to reunite the Plumbers and root out the enemies who spread these misrepresentations...

:biggrin:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Best avatar? idk.

Edit: I'm a day late aren't I? Yup, Thought so. whoops.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Second art, best prose, best poetry.
Second best avatar.
Second best non-SRD related post.

How does one extend Best dissection?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Rau Le Creuset wrote:Best avatar? idk.
It's been a category before. Feel free to look over previous years Watchies for categories that have been voted on in the past.
Rau Le Creuset wrote:Edit: I'm a day late aren't I? Yup, Thought so. whoops.
Well, since Frosty is the only one to second anything so far, we'll keep it open another week.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

I'll second both of u's suggestions, namely:-

- Best Debate (seconded)

- Best non-SRD-Related Post (seconded)

*** Start Added Edit ***

Oops... just noticed that I've actually thirded Best non-SRD-Related Post (Frosty's too damn fast for me).

Can I also take this opportunity to propose...

- Best non-SRD-related Thread

Thanks!

*** End Added Edit ***
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Return to “The Watchy Awards Forum”