Wendy Davis

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

To be clear, I will never cast a vote for Rand Paul, so I'm not defending him in any way, shape, or form.

Wayfriend, you chided us aboud discussing fillibusters in a Wendy Davis thread rather than discussing Wendy Davis. Now you're taking down Rand Paul. Any chance you can practice what you preach?

Vraith, other than Ms. Davis's account, can you support that she didn't leave her husband the day after he paid off the loan as he states?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The only evidence I have seen that Davis left her husband the day the loan was paid is a claim by .... ta da! ... her ex-husband. Who also claimed he was awarded custody of their children ... except he wasn't. [link]

So how about we substantiate the claim rather than demand it be refuted without ever substantiating it?

Otherwise lets just call this a classic sexist smear campaign.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cail wrote:
Vraith, other than Ms. Davis's account, can you support that she didn't leave her husband the day after he paid off the loan as he states?
Oh...I think I was over at politifact, maybe it was another one...
The husband said the story writer misquoted him and all the people afterwards made it worse [the original story he said "about the same time paid of the loans" or something like that] and that they were a couple, they both had incomes, they both paid bills, and that he filed for divorce, not her.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You didn't read the article.
The story quoted Jeff Davis saying that his wife left the family home for good the day after he made her last Harvard student-loan payment. In 2003, Slater wrote, the Davises agreed on a divorce settlement, one in which he was awarded “parental custody” of their teenage daughter Dru and his wife “was ordered to pay $1,200 a month in child support.”
Davis and Slater are two different people. Davis stated that his wife left the day after the last payment was made. Slater (the article's author) made the claim about custody. Nothing refutes Davis's statement about when his wife left.

This is, as you are so fond of saying, a bait-and-switch.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Misstatements by Ms. Davis are nothing new; many politicians have made them. I would advise her not to try and frame her life story in the best possible light; rather, I would stick to only the facts.

I think she will have a difficult time finding votes outside the big cities except for the people who vote Democrat simply because they are the anti-Republicans.

That article, though....it was overly long and seemed to be written by a member of her campaign staff. Still....op ed pieces are the place for opinion and we can see where the author stands.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The latest about the Texas Gubernatorial race from the Wall Street Journal.

I'll condense the article for you--it is unlikely that Ms. Davis will win her election bid. People in Tarrant County know her and either like her or dislike her based on that. Everyone else knows her as "that filibuster lady" and that flash-in-the-pan fame isn't going to be enough to win.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I have lived in Texas for some 17 years now and this will be the first time I will be voting for a republican governor. I always voted against Bush jr and the Perry. as both were for private prisons and against giving the state prisons any raises or upgrades.

but Ms. Davis has forced me to vote against her.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Coercri”