Has Anyone tried or is currently running Linux?

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

aTOMiC
Lord

Has Anyone tried or is currently running Linux?

Post by aTOMiC »

Though nearly all of my computer experience is based on dos and windows, I have tried Linux Redhat 7.2. I found that the open source programs are plentiful and that Linux provides a very nifty Quake III server. What I also discovered is that the programing syntax is a bit alien. I don't have any unix background so the concepts are not obvious. The operating system seems to work very well and it serves as a nice stable platform even on under powered systems. Saddly until programs like Autocad have a licencing agreement with Linux, I can't really use it for a whole days work. I was encouraged by the Redhat installation. It was comprehensive and complete. If I was forced to, I know that I can make a Linux system work for me for most applications. A realistic alternative to windows is a wonderful concept. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

i haven't had any personal experience with it yet, but all of my friends who are "well Aqued" with PC's say this is the way to go.

With my personal detestation for any Windows I am majorly eager to try Red HAt on my next system.
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

TRC wrote:i haven't had any personal experience with it yet, but all of my friends who are "well Aqued" with PC's say this is the way to go.

With my personal detestation for any Windows I am majorly eager to try Red HAt on my next system.
You could install a multi boot arrangement with windows and Linux and experiement with it until you decide you want to make the leap.:-)

TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

No thank you once I get away from windows I don't want it corrupting my system again !
You must not have noticed any of my posts where I mention that I believe Bill Gates is the true Lord Foul and Windows is The bringer of Despite and will eventually bring about the ritual of desecration, in the form of a major Wurm<aka The RoD virus> which will affect every windows, and windows only, based application and user.
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

TRC wrote:No thank you once I get away from windows I don't want it corrupting my system again !
You must not have noticed any of my posts where I mention that I believe Bill Gates is the true Lord Foul and Windows is The bringer of Despite and will eventually bring about the ritual of desecration, in the form of a major Wurm<aka The RoD virus> which will affect every windows, and windows only, based application and user.
I sympathize with your view of Gates and windows. I suggested adding Linux
as a companion operating system to ease your transisition. If cold turkey is your prefered approach I understand. :-)

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I have been using Gentoo Linux for over 2 years now - and I have completely ridden myself of Windows recently. Works for me perfectly, quick, nice, eyecandy also.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm not familar with Gentoo. I've run Redhat and Slackware releases. Because there isn't a license agreement with Autodesk for Autocad I can't completely eliminate windows....... yet. :(

Return to “PC & Console Games”