The Alliteration of Death

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

The Alliteration of Death

Post by lurch »

Once again Donaldson pulls off a stunt so subtly that upon realization I can only be amazed...In Part 2 chapter 3..Summoned to Oppose...the scene of confronting the skurj and Sandgorgons...Its all done in alliteration. Every sentence of the conflict is alliterative..!!!! It goes on for pages. What a hoot! What a Joy!..and at the end of it..a classic.." Struck by acrid eruptions of steam and fury, the thunderheads became a blugeoning deluge that seemed to erase the valley from existence."...How Other Reality can Donaldson get??..and the final remark ..as if TC was the author.." He had exhausted himself. Now he was too stunned to feel anything"..LMAO!! Oppose??!! To be alliterative for just about a whole chapter is quite the challenge,,but to to so while death and slaughter are demanding their due..yea, you know what it is..Thats Surreal!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

Hmmm, I have been assigned this chapter to dissect, and I must admit I missed this on first read. My angle is totally plot and purpose driven, which in and of itself will be a challenge as so much is happening on screen in this chapter. But, I will definitely revisit the chapter to see if I can pick up the alliteration. Just goes to Reveal why Re-Reads can be a Rich and Rewarding experience.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

D. it definitely was a ..what the heck..when it dawned on me..From the short.." Some she slew.",to the great line referenced above, the author brings joy to the ear..amongst terror, horror, slaughter and death,,Yea, this is beyond plot..How the story is told raises the Tale to another level, another reality.
There was a two word allit..took me awhile but I found it.." Only Branl- " ..yea, thats all, but it works..What a hoot..Like puns, the ones that are real stretches, are the ones that bring the groans and thus appreciation. So killing off a few Giants, the mirthfull, and a host of skurj and Sandgorgons, their rage and brut force enemies, indicates a getting serious ,,at various levels of play, at this point in the Tale. The author once again invokes " craft" to give further dimension to what is being told.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

ahh, i got a new favorite ..Its alliterative, with metaphor..its a goody..The " i's role then " a's " and " e's with a murder in the middle..Killer!!!! he gets alliterative with all the vowels..what a hoot!

Same chapter...

" Wincing and bitter, he raised the krill. The eldritch blade slipped as easily as murder into the Sandgorgon's heart."

WOW!
pg4 TLD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

The stuff in this thread someone should ask him about at the 'Fest...like if it's on purpose and late or early in the process.

Just to satisfy my curiosity. Cuz some tools/techniques just happen, some are sought out, sometimes a mix...and I'd like to know about this one. Cuz assonance and alliteration just ooze out of me in many writing [and some speaking] situations...I don't see it at the time, and it is regularly so extreme and absurd...even cloying, even to myself...I have to clean most of it out in editing if its anything I ever want anyone to read.

I'm just wondering if it is something he strives for, fights against, or notices a hint of happening and decides to take advantage.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Thats interesting Vraith.. " oozes out of you naturally"..I'd call that a natural talent. I know sometimes I can let fly a flow of alliteration without trying,,but when I try,it becomes difficult. Hey, maybe Human Beings are just natural rhymers. We like to do it.

I have observed and posted on Donaldson's alliteration since I started posting here. So,,to me, alliteration is something he has been doing,,consciously , on purpose,all along..,and in TLD, he blows the parameters off the concept by doing it for just about a whole chapter. Thats on purpose and i get the sense that there are some real " stretches" included,,as in,,the same sound but by different combos of vowels and consonants ..O..au....e..ei..Y..are just some examples , The other clue is hes being alliterative with Fs and Vs..Most folks would not think of those two consonants as sounding alike,,but they do and that knowledge is trade craft and Donaldson has f and v alliteration more than once..,but the point is ..hes working it..this is on purpose, for a purpose...imho..But, Like puns,, there is humor involved as well and that makes it a joy to my ears also. .imho..

Donaldson remarked about creativity as being a muscle,,that needs constant exercise to stay in shape or get even better. The alliteration of that chapter shows to me an author who has never stopped going to the gym. I suspect he would give the same kind of ambiguous answer to his alliteration talent/ creativity..But hopefully the question will get asked anyway.. He gets cagey when asked pointedly about " how do you do it?"..The Only two word allit I can remember,," Only Branl-"...now..that to me..took some thought,,some time..and the other one I quote above.." Some she slew",,yea, that one was the one that stopped me and had me asking ...whats going on here?..It sticks out like a red flag..and thus serves purpose to stop the reader and make it realize something else is going on..what a hoot..He seems to be bringing it to the surface,,ever so subtly,,then once hes got the attention,,drop some real doozies..There is a construct , a structure about it. So yea..hes a very talented writer , so I would expect alliteration as being one of his natural talents. Its part of the craft and to have a natural talent of any part of the craft, you should consider yourself blessed Vraith...imho.
pg4 TLD
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Haha, oodles of this in AATE as well, albeit that I haven't managed to peruse its depths much so far.

"But beyond the barrier, cliffs and crags like clenched knuckles curved crookedly from the southeast out into the wan sunlight--"

"Covenant smelled saltwater, saw the Sunbirth Sea."

"--Clyme might contrive to scale it. Covenant could not."

"--the Despiser's delved dwelling was complete, immense and immaculate and empty, flawless and useless in every detail except for the jagged jaws which formed Lord Foul's throne."

...and a wealth of other examples within a few pages. XD

Come to consider it, SRD's initials read DRS backwards. He's really Dr. Seuss in disguise! 8O
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

I think the author's works' lyrical qualities, are what caught and captured me from the first; Lord Foul's Bane. Alliteration is part of it. There is also the cadence of the alliteration; lining up the accented syllables in their alliteration that establishes a beat or meter to the read, almost like a poem.

Its beguiling. Its easy to get lost in the flow and alliteration and miss what the words are saying.
pg4 TLD
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

My apologies Vraith..I did ask He Who Must Be Named at the E'fest banquet. I asked about his use of alliteration ,,he asked for me to be more specific ( I think),and from there I went to the naturally or worked question, to which he replied ..that he wrote with his ear..( joke here)..and he also remarked about metre if one was so inclined to look for it. He had more to say that I don't remember because my brain choked up in the presence of such Greatness,,literally, a din took over my brain. But its been recorded so when Jenn releases the video you will be able to see and hear it all..which is better than i was able to do.
pg4 TLD
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

lurch wrote:My apologies Vraith..I did ask He Who Must Be Named at the E'fest banquet. I asked about his use of alliteration ,,he asked for me to be more specific ( I think),and from there I went to the naturally or worked question, to which he replied ..that he wrote with his ear..( joke here)..and he also remarked about metre if one was so inclined to look for it. He had more to say that I don't remember because my brain choked up in the presence of such Greatness,,literally, a din took over my brain. But its been recorded so when Jenn releases the video you will be able to see and hear it all..which is better than i was able to do.
Cool. Would watch the vid anyway, but now an exact reason to.
I actually have a pet theory that the aural [especially allit/asso] are wired together with the more physical beat/rhythm. It's possible [but probably harder than folk might think...go ahead and try it] to generate beat/meter/rhythm without allit/asso or other pronunciative tool.
It's very difficult [and usually as ugly and stilted as the most forced of rhymes] to create anything longer than a couple words that has allit/asso but no meter/beat/rhythm.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Thats a good point Vraith..its like mining for copper and dismissing the turquoise on the way..I mean..while you are in there, the metre is right there along side the alliteration. Might as well..

Heck, the Chapter title is..Summoned To Oppose..O's and S's ..SOS...and...just a bit deeper..Alliteration, the phonetic flow in a stream of words..of a beauty,,to describe , used in description of ghastly butchery and slaughter...yea, some opposing there in a realm beyond first glance,,but still...summoned to oppose. Dam..if that just doesn't put a smile on the ole puss and say wtf!
pg4 TLD
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

lurch wrote:Heck, the Chapter title is..Summoned To Oppose..O's and S's ..SOS...and...just a bit deeper..
I had missed that.
Now I look at it, though, I do see it. There are a lot of Ms and Es there, too. E... M.... E... ME ...?
And, wait, the first letter is an S, but what comes after it is important. Maybe ... T comes after S. MEET? ...ME ... MEET ... ME ... MEET ME ????
Is this the author inviting us, no *summoning* us to participate or oppose the chapter somehow?

It goes even deeper. If you rearrange the letters of the chapter, you get:
Ed pumps onto moose

Who is Ed??

This is blowing . my . mind . 8O
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Ananda wrote:
lurch wrote:Heck, the Chapter title is..Summoned To Oppose..O's and S's ..SOS...and...just a bit deeper..
I had missed that.
Now I look at it, though, I do see it. There are a lot of Ms and Es there, too. E... M.... E... ME ...?
And, wait, the first letter is an S, but what comes after it is important. Maybe ... T comes after S. MEET? ...ME ... MEET ... ME ... MEET ME ????
Is this the author inviting us, no *summoning* us to participate or oppose the chapter somehow?

It goes even deeper. If you rearrange the letters of the chapter, you get:
Ed pumps onto moose

Who is Ed??

This is blowing . my . mind . 8O
:clap: :lol:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Aaaahhh, aren't they cute!?

see, thats alliteration AND sarcasm...
pg4 TLD
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

lurch wrote:Aaaahhh, aren't they cute!?

see, thats alliteration AND sarcasm...
Shots fired :biggrin:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

SOMEBODY CALL 9 1 1 !!
pg4 TLD
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

lurch wrote:SOMEBODY CALL 9 1 1 !!
Dispatcher: 9-1-1 What is the nature of your emergency? Caller: I’m trying to reach nine eleven but my phone doesn’t have an eleven on it. Dispatcher: This is nine eleven. Caller: I thought you just said it was nine-one-one Dispatcher: Yes, ma’am nine-one-one and nine-eleven are the same thing. Caller: Honey, I may be old, but I’m not stupid.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Somewhat on topic! :-D The lead of Lurchy's favorite accordion metal band fashioned a folksy solo album, and all alliterative according to the ancient art.
(This song does not discuss the delights of drunken copulation.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiSWPrNbuc

Return to “The Last Dark”