Quern Ehstrel - what's in a name?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Quern Ehstrel - what's in a name?

Post by DrPaul »

This has been raised briefly on another thread, but I'd like to tease it out a bit more.

The Mahdoubt's real name is revealed to be "Quern Ehstrel". Now we know that SRD doesn't just assign names for no reason, but what could be the significance of Quern Ehstrel?

A quern is a primitive hand mill comprising two stones. The word "quern" is also used for the lower, stationary one of the two stones on which the grain rests while being ground by the handstone. This suggests a humble but essential role in providing nourishment, which fits with the Mahdoubt's role in Revelstone.

"Ehstrel" is the name of a company in Russia, so there's no obvious significance there. However, the Estrel is a major hotel in Berlin. This chimes with the Mahdoubt's role as a provider of hospitality.

Have I divined the name's significance, or are there other possibilities that I am overlooking?
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

That sounds very good, Dr. Paul! The Mahdoubt has insights that provide a solid foundation for planning, and she is very adept at hospitality.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”