Muttering Giants

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Muttering Giants

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

Just finished rereading Fatal Revenant on the way to The Last Dark, and noticed that these new Giants sure seem to mutter a lot. I never noticed it with our Hero Saltheart, and also not with the Search Giants, but on 3 occasions, the new Giants are noted to be muttering various things.

Muttering, to me, implies talking under your breath to nobody in particular. These Giants are stated to be:

"muttering giantish oaths"
"muttering giantish curses"
"muttering giantish obscenities"

Now, to be fair, Manethrall Mahrtiir is stated to be muttering once that I noted, but I don't remember if he was muttering Ramen curses or oaths, and leafing back I can't find the passage.

I, for one, would like to know what these curses, oaths and obscenities are.

Picture a Giant walking away, muttering under his breath, maybe looking back at the subject of his ire while he mutters:

"Joy is in the ears that hear. Let's hear you laugh when my oaken foot is inserted into your arse."

"You rockblocker!"

"Get in my way again and I'll delve you a new one"

"You call that a fire? The caamora at my bar mitzva was bigger than that."

OK, let's hear them.
I walk a mile in your shoes
And now I'm a mile away
And I've got your shoes
---Comeback Story, Kings of Leon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

This sounds like a thread Frostheart will need to contribute to...
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

That either totally escaped my notice, or merely totally escaped my conscious notice.
But it makes sense to me in a "trope"-ish way.
What I mean is, in much of fiction [certainly speculative fiction...but other genre's have similar roles/types] folk under discipline [especially military-parallel, and particularly Sailors or their space-equivalents] have muttering as practically a Jungian Archetype. And the Giants are a whole race of Mr. Scot's and Dr. McCoy's.

It makes sense we see it here more often cuz there's more stress, more of the Giant-folk are directly under real discipline [as close as the Giants CAN be].

[[whoever invented that basic trope...I love them. It's a perfect example of the externalizing of the internal SRD likes on the "smaller" scale. As opposed to the Grand Scale where EVIL is right there in your face...or at least on a huge throne nearby]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Muttering Giants

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Fixed for you:
Soarback Grayhare wrote: Picture a Giantess walking away, muttering under her breath, maybe looking back at the subject of her ire while she mutters:
Forget not that this is not a band of random BFG's strung together, but a hird of boisterous warriors ready to turn into veritable slaughtering machines in the blink of an eye. They swear, reek of sweat, tell raunchy jokes, compare the sizes of their biceps in the lack of fleshy swords, gather together to a farting contest while the heroes sleep...alas, the Ironhand always wins those, and many have been the occasions when Linden Giantfriend has awoken to the belief that an earthquake has hit the camp. Not your gaggle of frill-clad Barbie gurls, this, so therefore expect them to demonstrate an array of roistery, earthy habits.

Track back to the 2nd chrons and observe that the First mutters and swears a fair deal as well. Generally the Giantesses are darker-minded and more aggressive than the males.
The Ironhand
Servant of the Land

Post by The Ironhand »

Ha! Fie and folly! As always, Grueburn endeavors to soil the solemn image of the most esteemed leader of the Swordmainnir! I would gently remind you, that Cabledarm boasts with the highest score from those despicable contests, and if it were not for my quick glaivework, that Gilden she fell with the power of her...power would have squashed Jeremiah Chosen-son. Why not invent some less dangerous and, indeed, more ladylike, night entertainment for yourselves?

Return to “Fatal Revenant”