Fatal Revenant OOPS?

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Fatal Revenant OOPS?

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

Part 2, chapter 5 of Fatal Revenant:
After a few steps, she asked, still indirectly, "How many times was Covenant summoned to the Land? I mean, before he and I came here together?"
"Four of which the Bloodguard had knowledge," answered Stave.
"Who summoned him?"
Her companion had apparently accepted her fragmented state. He replied without hesitation, "The first summoning was performed by the Cavewight Drool Rockworm at Corruption's bidding. The second, by High Lord Elena. The third, by High Lord Mhoram. In each such call, the necessary power was drawn from the Staff of Law. But the fourth was accomplished by the Giant Saltheart Foamfollower and the Stonedowner Triock, enabled only by their own desperation, and by a rod of lomillialor, of High Wood, gifted to Triock by High Lord Mhoram."
High Lord Mhoram never carried the Staff of Law. Oops? I know the Staff still existed at that time, but is was being wielded by Dead Elena. I wouldn't think that Mhoram would be able to use it's power. And if he could and did, then its power may still have been available for Foamfollower and Triock to use. However, none of this was mentioned or implied in TPTP. So again, Oops?
I walk a mile in your shoes
And now I'm a mile away
And I've got your shoes
---Comeback Story, Kings of Leon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Quite so. Mhoram as High Lord did not wield the Staff of Law, which was lost seven years earlier under Skyweir. The summoning was accomplished with a combination of Mhoram's own inner resources, the mental communion and support of his fellow Lords, and the additional Earthpower invoked by Hearthrall Tohrm by rhadhamaerl lore from the firestones in the pit of the Close.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Well spotted, SG.

See Possible goof for earlier comments.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Yes, well spotted. I tried to think of a way to resolve the inconsistency by invoking errors or omissions in Haruchai knowledge, but that option is closed off by the fact that Bannor returned to Revelstone with the heels of the original Staff of Law after the events in TPTP, and would almost certainly have compared notes with Mhoram about their respective summonings of Covenant and the other events that resulted in their victory, before returning to the Haruchai homeland and sharing his knowledge with his people.

Return to “Fatal Revenant”