Why do people not recognize government as a corporate entity

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Why do people not recognize government as a corporate entity

Post by SerScot »

I really wonder. I started a discussion on Facebook asking what people thougt the largest most powerful corporate entity was in the US. It took twenty minutes before someone thought of the US government.

We, citizens of the US, are all shareholders in this corporation but it is a corporation, make no mistake. It can only act through agents. We cannot be directly held liable for it's tortuous actions. It's a corporation.

Why don't people see that?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Most likely because it doesn't fit the normal definition of "corporation", a business entity for which private citizens may buy and sell shares of stock (equity ownership in the company). No, we as individuals cannot be held responsible for the actions of our government, whether good or bad, but don't make the mistake of thinking that the government acts only in our best interests.

All corporations, though, have one thing in common--they exist for the sole purpose of making money. We may only wish that our government's primary concern were making money (aside from the few jobs it is supposed to do such as military, post offices/roads, managing treaties with other nations or disputes between States, etc). other than the literal making of money via its intaglio printing presses, of course.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”