Sacrilege

Archive From The 'Tank
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Frostheart wrote:It's Danelanderish. :P Old Giantish has meter-long words, incomprehensible grammar, and äöå. This has æøå instead.
Now, have you heard about the occasion when the Æsir tied a goat to Loke's wossnames...

The Findinavian "deadline" is called takaraja (lit. back-border).
Little Giant, what is "little giant" again in Findinavian? :D
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

of course Loki has been a girl too...

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

But a naughty girl Loki has far more appeal than a sanctimonious upright goody-goody Thor.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

wayfriend wrote:
Our gods will speak evil of a physical existence in front!
Yeah, everyone says that, but it never happens.
That is libellous! You really took a crap in the blue cupboard now!

Ni otrogna kommer att få betala för detta!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Damelon wrote:
Frostheart wrote:It's Danelanderish. :P Old Giantish has meter-long words, incomprehensible grammar, and äöå. This has æøå instead.
Now, have you heard about the occasion when the Æsir tied a goat to Loke's wossnames...

The Findinavian "deadline" is called takaraja (lit. back-border).
Little Giant, what is "little giant" again in Findinavian? :D
Pikkujättiläinen. :lol:

Loke shapeshifted into the Giantess Þökk at one point. I'm not sure if she showed that much cleavage or wore a horned diadem. Here's a beautiful song about it.

Þórr had to impersonate Freyja in one of the original stories, when Þrymr stole Mjölnir and demanded the goddess for his wife. The result was more akin to this than any sexy blonde überbabe.
(I have to take a photo of the Madsen comic where he had large rocks for tits...caused a couple of concussions with sharp turns.)

By the way...why am I teaching the basics of Norse mythology in the Tank? 8O

By Hellanim.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Frostheart wrote:By the way...why am I teaching the basics of Norse mythology in the Tank? 8O
Beats the crap out of arguing about Obama for the 97,000,000th time. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

aliantha wrote:
Frostheart wrote:By the way...why am I teaching the basics of Norse mythology in the Tank? 8O
Beats the crap out of arguing about Obama for the 97,000,000th time. :lol:
*laugh*

I cannot disagree with this assessment.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Along this topic, it made me wonder: how long time does a faith have to be out of style or have so little practicers that it becomes okay to make the figures into just characters and stories to play with as mythology and NOT have an outcry?

People still practice this faith in the True Gods. It is jut not so many as the major religions. Growing up in scandinavian areas, one is likely to know a little about it and to have a level of some respect, though perhaps not belief.

Major religions have their fictionalisation of the major figures and mythologies as well.

Christianity:
Many, many films, tv serials, books, games, etc. use the mythology and the minor characters and storyline.
The Jesus character has been portrayed in film.
The god character has been portrayed in film.

A great many of these portrayals either mean no harm or are meant to be taken seriously, though there are others who use the chosen medium to mock. While angels and devil and that part of the mythology are definitely just used as fodder for fantasy stories, the Jesus and god characters are more often than not used either in an attempt to be serious (even if it isn't universally liked) or in mockery. I can't think of a superhero Jesus who fights crime in her high heels and pushup bra or anything of that nature.

The reaction:
I think there is a lot of acceptance from people of that faith of the use of the angels and devils in fiction. Use of the main characters can prompt outrage, especially if it is used in mockery.
There is little to no violence associated with this outcry in the modern era.

Islam:
There is very little of this as far as I know except for the mockery stuff because of...

The reaction:
Fatwa! Death to the infidel! Burn! Kill!
Lars Vilks knows about this.

Hinduism:
Bollywood has Genesha, Hanuman, etc. galore dancing in the films. I don't really watch Bollywood films much, so I can't comment on how they are portrayed inside the culture very well. Maybe someone else knows more?
There are hindu god and goddess characters used in fiction, tv serials, games, comics, and so.
Maybe they have sex changed gods and goddesses who fights crime in western stuff? I don't really know since I don't read comics.

The reaction:
A lot of acceptance of the main story elements of the faith in fiction.
I think the reaction to mockery or poor taste is about the same as the christian reaction, though, perhaps a little more likely to get things banned through official channels.

Buddism:
Think this is about the same as above?

Anyway, currently practiced religions don't seem to like their god or goddess characters portrayed as a crime fighting sex changed super hero. However, Þórr can be sex changed, put in high heels and made to fight crime in comics with little reaction other than 'oh, look how big tits Þórr has now!'

So, how long time does a faith have to be out of favour for them to just become characters?

Also, I am still OUTRAGED. And, sussurated, screaming, shocked, soured, serious, salladed and sasquatched on this matter still!
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I agree about being sasquatched. Actually, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "What would the members of Ásatrúarfélagið think about that?" Well, they'd hardly shout "Fatwa! Death to the infidel! Burn! Kill!", but would scowl and crack something sarcastic about the audacity of American media. On another level, it's about ruining Nordic cultural icons/symbols. How would Americans react if Abraham Lincoln got gender-bent and endowed with implants in order to collect money from drooling teenagers? ;)

I don’t entertain a good relationship with Marvel’s “Norse” perversions. I was able to watch the Thor movie about fifteen minutes before my brain shut itself down and oozed out of the nose at the mention of Laufey being a male jötunn.

(I’ll return to this later.)
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Frostheart wrote:How would Americans react if Abraham Lincoln got gender-bent and endowed with implants in order to collect money from drooling teenagers? ;)

PS I also find myself more than a little miffed at such a degrading depiction of one of the Æsir...
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Lord

Post by Cail »

TheFallen wrote:
Frostheart wrote:How would Americans react if Abraham Lincoln got gender-bent and endowed with implants in order to collect money from drooling teenagers? ;)
I have the weirdest boner now.....
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Frostheart wrote:On another level, it's about ruining Nordic cultural icons/symbols. How would Americans react if Abraham Lincoln got gender-bent and endowed with implants in order to collect money from drooling teenagers? ;)
You don't even have to go that far. Exhibit A: "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter." :roll:

I liked the Thor movies. Then again, I'll put up with a lot in order to watch Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston for a couple of hours. :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Frostheart wrote:being sasquatched
I don't think I have encountered anyone verbifying that word before.

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were able to co-opt Norse gods into comic books because they were "public domain". I haven't looked into the matter but I don't think Marvel can copyright Thor but they might be able to prevent someone else from portraying Thor as a young, beardless male with long blonde hair.

Here in the United States we are used to seeing our symbols mocked or warped in order to make money. It has happened so much that it simply doesn't bother us any more.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Thought this might entertain.

There's a show on TV called [and you cannot make this stuff up] "The Almighty Johnsons".

"The show follows a student named Axl Johnson, who on his 21st birthday discovers his family members are reincarnated Norse gods."

All Odin needs to do is hook up with Frigg ...

Anyway, "[Odin] is capable of taking on a female form." So this seems like a very faithful representation of Norse mythology.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I had expected a different sort of picture to pop up on google...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Does this Johnson have anything to do with Cail's weird boner (too much info shurely!!!)
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Meh.

This is no worse or better than making Starbuck a woman in the Reboot of Battlestar Galactica.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant

Return to “Coercri”