Football\Company penalty for crimes

Archive From The 'Tank
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

Because people perceive it differently. It's not about the legality. It's about making people think the NFL cares. People, as a rule, care more about guys who knock their fiancee's unconscious than other guys in bar fights.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

SerScot wrote:Cail,

Because people perceive it differently. It's not about the legality. It's about making people think the NFL cares. People, as a rule, care more about guys who knock their fiancee's unconscious than other guys in bar fights.
So they pander to sexists?

Does that make any sort of sense?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

No, they pander to people. It's called marketing.
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

And that's not what the law is supposed to do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

The NFL's fines and penalties on Rice are not "legal" actions.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sure aren't. Why was he fined and penalized?
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Cail wrote:Sure aren't. Why was he fined and penalized?
He was fined and penalised because he is part of an organisation that does that as part of their maintenance of their brand in the public eye. It is a court of public opinion, not law. If your point is that reactionary political correctness is out of hand, I agree.

One thing I really don't like is celebrities, politicians and so who feel the need to make a public apology for things like cheating on their wife. I understand it is for the same reason: to maintain the brand (often they are the brand themselves and think of their value to sponsors). But, I feel like this spectacle is just too much. No one cares who these people sleep with! (Except maybe their wife)
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ananda wrote:
He was fined and penalised because he is part of an organisation that does that as part of their maintenance of their brand in the public eye. It is a court of public opinion, not law. If your point is that reactionary political correctness is out of hand, I agree.
More to the point, he hasn't been tried or convicted of anything, nor has he made an admission of guilt.

So because something looked like something, and the voyeuristic public gasped at it, this guy is on the bench for two games and paying a fine.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

It's ok, Rice sucked last year, so all the better for the Ravens for 2 games.

Go Ravens! ;)

-jay
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,
For publicly making the NFL look bad.

What is Rice apologizing for if not knocking his fiancee unconscious?

baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/ray-rice-to-speak-publicly-about-his-2-game-suspension/
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

SerScot wrote:
For publicly making the NFL look bad.

What is Rice apologizing for if not knocking his fiancee unconscious?

baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/07/31/ray-rice-to-speak-publicly-about-his-2-game-suspension/
Do you know? I sure don't.

If the NFL wanted to fine or suspend him after a legal finding of guilt, I've got no problem here. What I take issue with is punishing a man for allegedly doing something, and that something being somehow worse because of the sex of the alleged victim.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

Fines like these are based upon the player or owner's continued participation in the league. They have little or nothing to do with legal findings of culpablity. There is no right to play NFL football. As such the league levies these penalties and the player/coach/owner can submit to them or find another profession.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

SerScot wrote:Fines like these are based upon the player or owner's continued participation in the league. They have little or nothing to do with legal findings of culpablity. There is no right to play NFL football. As such the league levies these penalties and the player/coach/owner can submit to them or find another profession.
Sure, and maybe they could fine and penalize a player because they didn't like his political views too.

It's ridiculous and indefensible, because at this point Ray Rice is guilty of nothing.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

From a criminal law standpoint he's not, yet. That said, he's constructively admitted to knocking his fiancee unconscious. He's damaged the NFL with his behavior. The NFL, as it may, has penalized him for those actions.

Yes, they could do the same for unpopular political beliefs. As you have pointed out in other threads private employers should have a lot of leeway when it comes to the terms of employment.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

From a criminal law standpoint he's not, yet. That said, he's constructively admitted to knocking his fiancee unconscious. He's damaged the NFL with his behavior. The NFL, as it may, has penalized him for those actions.

Yes, they could do the same for unpopular political beliefs. As you have pointed out in other threads private employers should have a lot of leeway when it comes to the terms of employment.
Please link to Ray Rice's confession of any wrongdoing.

And yes, I believe employers have quite a bit of leeway regarding discipline of employees. I don't have to agree with them though.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

See the apology listed above. What's he apologizing for if not knocking his fiancee, now wife, unconscious?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I don't know, and neither do you.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

That's disengenous. We all know what he's apologizing for. If he'd done nothing wrong in that video he wouldn't be apologizing.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's disengenous. We all know what he's apologizing for. If he'd done nothing wrong in that video he wouldn't be apologizing.
Can I borrow your crystal ball, I'd like to win the lottery tonight.

We all don't know what he's apologizing for. We know that he's got a coach, a team owner, sponsors, and lawyers telling him what to say.
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Cail,

We can strongly suspect what he's apologizing for. Further, even after someone is convicted of a crime all you can say is that they were certainly convicted, not that they actually, with certainty, commited the crime.

Based upon the video, based upon his reaction to being accused of this crime, I'm choosing to believe that it is outside the realm of reasonable doubt to say he didn't knock his fiancee out in an elevator.

Return to “Coercri”