THOOLAH has returned to redeem your mortal soul.

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

dlbpharmd wrote:Menolly, I thought you were OPAL?
ussusimiel wrote:..
This.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, in case Menolly's account had been hacked! 8O
I am none too happy to confirm that Menolly's shout-out was no hack. She ceased fence-straddling about the time I shared the ARC of The Last Dark with her...almost two years ago now.
:?
I do not agree with her on this...and will let her express her reasoning.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

No reason is necessary! :lol:

All that matters is that she has seen the light!

All people of discernment and perspicacity eventually find their way into the loving arms of THOOLAH!

Ah weep, ye of OPAL an Linden's Army! Our fold groweth and is thus strengthened and further emboldened! :twisted:

THOOLAH shall prevail!

u.
Last edited by ussusimiel on Mon May 18, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Savor Dam wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:Menolly, I thought you were OPAL?
ussusimiel wrote:..
This.

I didn't want to be the first to say it, in case Menolly's account had been hacked! 8O
I am none too happy to confirm that Menolly's shout-out was no hack. She ceased fence-straddling about the time I shared the ARC of The Last Dark with her...almost two years ago now.
:?
I do not agree with her on this...and will let her express her reasoning.
*nod*

To answer dlb, I still promote OPAL for those who have not finished the last chrons yet. I held off until the bitter end before I made my decision; I have no need to influence others in dismounting their own fence straddling.

But I think TOM summed up my reasoning well enough somewhere. Linden does some incredible things, yes. But her whole essence while doing so justifies THOOLAH. At least, it does for me.

Just because I can easily picture myself having such angst over going to battle for things Beorn may need to accommodate his own disability, doesn't mean I enjoy reading about it, or that I even like it in myself.

heh.
I guess my 10th Watchiversary is as good a time as any to come out as THOOLAH-ian...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote:heh.
I guess my 10th Watchiversary is as good a time as any to come out as THOOLAH-ian...
You noticed? I thought you paid no mind to anniversaries and post counts?

Your anniversary of ten years on the Watch is nicely sandwiched into a week that also contains your fifth anniversary of first visiting Dam-sel and me, as well as your third anniversary as a Washington resident.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

ussusimiel wrote:We all know that that horse soooo came came last! :twisted:

Why? Because it got about halfway into the race and then stopped, sat down and looked for its navel,
and when it found it, it spent endless hours obessively going over the first part of the race, listing its
motivations, what it had done wrong, why it had done those things wrong, what other horses had said to
it, emphasising the important things said by putting them in italics in its internal monologue, decided
to make some decisions, decided against making any decisions, prevaricated, procrastinated,
moaned, whinged and whin(nyi)ed.

Lindendoom!

What all members of THOOLAH feel whenever the Mistress of Whine appears in the Last Chrons :evil:

If only we could put that horse down and out of our misery! If only we could put it back in its stall
and shut the stable door! If only we could soak up that horsemilk and put an end to its endless tears!
If only we could change in midstream to a horse called Covenantboon!

Need I say anymore! :biggrin:

Oh, yes!

THOOLAH!!!

u.
:Hail: :Hail: :Hail:

-jay
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

kevinswatch wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:We all know that that horse soooo came came last! :twisted:

Why? Because it got about halfway into the race and then stopped, sat down and looked for its navel,
and when it found it, it spent endless hours obessively going over the first part of the race, listing its
motivations, what it had done wrong, why it had done those things wrong, what other horses had said to
it, emphasising the important things said by putting them in italics in its internal monologue, decided
to make some decisions, decided against making any decisions, prevaricated, procrastinated,
moaned, whinged and whin(nyi)ed.

Lindendoom!

What all members of THOOLAH feel whenever the Mistress of Whine appears in the Last Chrons :evil:

If only we could put that horse down and out of our misery! If only we could put it back in its stall
and shut the stable door! If only we could soak up that horsemilk and put an end to its endless tears!
If only we could change in midstream to a horse called Covenantboon!

Need I say anymore! :biggrin:

Oh, yes!

THOOLAH!!!

u.

-jay
:roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

With regard to gender specific characters, there wouldn't be a THOOLAH at all if Linden Avery had more in common with High Lord Elena or Lord Shetra.

I discovered this fact after re reading The Illearth War recently.

In addition the aforementioned Illearth War features long stretches of story in the company of Hile Troy in which the main protagonist is only referenced briefly and only in an exceedingly negative way.
Yet somehow Hile Troy is an acceptable substitute for TC where Linden Avery apparently is not. There is nothing (except possibly Hile Troy's unrequited affection for Elena) that registers as gender specific. To me at least. Gender shifting his character would have had no impact on my level of interest. However there are a number of aspects of LA's personality that, in my view, nullify her appeal.
To sum up I simply don't like spending time with her hence my membership in THOOLAH. However I believe that it would have been possible to embrace the character if there were a few major and minor alterations to her makeup.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote: All people of discernment and perspicacity eventually find their way into the loving arms of THOOLAH!
u.
No.
They won't.
8)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Vraith wrote:
ussusimiel wrote: All people of discernment and perspicacity eventually find their way into the loving arms of THOOLAH!
u.
No.
They won't.
8)
Oh, and forgot to say: exactly how Holy and Loving can any group be that is founded on Hating?
[[let alone perspicacious when hating a fictional being?]]

just sayin'

;)
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Lindendoom lost - but look at the names of the horses that filled the first three places.

https://tatts.com/racing/2015/5/31/VR/8
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

:yeehaa: :yeehaa: :yeehaa:

:haha:

Goodpost, DrPaul.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:
u.
No.
They won't.
8)
I could go all semantic on your ass and say that by definition anyone who doesn't find their way into our loving arms is blind and uncouth, but I won't do that as I have a much easier way to achieve the proper outcome.

Since you are obviously some manifestation of my multifarious and copious mind all I have to do is change it!

Welcome to THOOLAH, Vraith! :twisted:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote: Since you are obviously some manifestation of my multifarious and copious mind all I have to do is change it!

u.
Oh oh...I feel odd...sweaty...drooly...irrational...what is that explosive feeling behind my face???....

Nah...kidding. It didn't work. Maybe we're multiple personality disordered.
In which case, we just have to decide who is the REAL one.
Roshambo? :biggrin:

I may have mentioned this before---but I at least appreciate that y'all know your place---which is down low. Does anyone really care about their mortal souls? Those can be redeemed like coupons for canned soup. [and priced about the same, AFAICT]
Immortal ones...now that's something that matters.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:
ussusimiel wrote: Since you are obviously some manifestation of my multifarious and copious mind all I have to do is change it!

u.
Oh oh...I feel good...refreshed...clear-eyed...with a growing rational dislike of whininess...what is that light glowing on the horizon???....

Ah, 'tis the vanguard of THOOLAH! Oh, Joy! Oh Bliss! To never again have to defend the indefensible wretchedness of Linden! :Hail:
See, I knew it would be easy! :biggrin:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

ussusimiel wrote:
Vraith wrote:

u.
Oh oh...I feel good...refreshed...clear-eyed...with a growing rational dislike of whininess...what is that light glowing on the horizon???....

Ah, 'tis the vanguard of THOOLAH! Oh, Joy! Oh Bliss! To never again have to defend the indefensible wretchedness of Linden! :Hail:
See, I knew it would be easy! :biggrin:

u.
+1
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

-jay
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

We have invited this crafty Insequent to deal with sinister, indescribably hideous cultists.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

You people crack me the heck up. :lol:

THOOLAH forever! :biggrin:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

It looks like Linden Avery wants to enrol at the university where I work. If we could see the bottom of the shirt there would doubtless be a bit torn out of it.
https://www.griffith.edu.au/

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”