The House Suing the President

Archive From The 'Tank
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

The House Suing the President

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The House finally did it--they voted to sue President Obama, the first time such a thing has happened in the history of this nation. All their posturing and claiming that they are trying to defend the Constitution notwithstanding, I know what they are really doing--they didn't want to impeach him because 1) they might not be able to succeed with an impeachment and 2) that would motivate Democrat voters who might otherwise have sat out this November's elections.

This is stupid. There is no other word for it. What do they think this will accomplish? All it will do is waste a bunch of time and money then it will end up backfiring and making them look like spoiled children. Not only that, but what will be the likelihood that a future Democrat House sues a Republican President the first chance they get? Pretty high, I suspect--payback's a bitch and revenge is sweet.

The Courts are not going to want to become the parent who has to mediate bickering siblings but if this kind of crap keeps happening that is what will occur. I hope that somehow some Federal Judge throws the suit out without giving the possibility of being heard.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

It's been very clear from the time Obama took office that his opponent's position has been "we don't care how good or bad an idea is, if YOU support it, it's automatically wrong".

No government can function like that. It's time for the people in the U.S. to start telling their elected reps, both R and D, to start trying to run a country instead of fighting for what little support may be left by the time they quit being stupid.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

It would help if his ideas werent so wrong most of the time.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

That's a matter of opinion, SB. ;)

Hashi, I'm with you in hoping a federal judge simply dismisses this suit. It's a stupid move on the GOP's part.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

The suit, even if not dismissed, will not be decided before the Presidents term is over. However I agree that the President continues to overreach his authority and 'something' needs to be done.
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I will agree that 'something' needs to be done...but that 'something' is a rejection of the knee-jerk opposition from the opposition party that has been apparent from Day One of this administration. Not that every policy of the Obama administration has been correct, but the consistent and unwavering "NO" from the GOP has given the impression that they just put the kibosh on everything the President wants.

If this is not the case, they need to refine what they oppose so as to distinguish between what is anathema and what is perhaps acceptable. Say ing NO to everything gives the impression they are not thinking, just rejecting.

A worthy opposition is better than that. Show it!
(yes, even if you have to compromise a little in order to draw the distinction...)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Obviously, the executive has limits on authority or we'd have a different gov't.

But every president, always, has had discretion...and most of them have used it...on enforcement. [and other things, but enforcement is the topic at hand]

If this one is extreme [which is highly debatable] it is because they decided to commit to a political kama sutra...forgetting their job isn't ONLY to fuck the president [and even when it IS your job, y'gotta give some pleasure to the other guy...otherwise it is just fucking yourself].

But, yea...they dare not impeach.
They dare to sue only because if a judge takes it it will look like they're trying, but won't be decided soon enough for the consequences to matter to THEM.
If a judge DOESn't take it...it will look like they're being oppressed.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Wildling wrote:It's been very clear from the time Obama took office that his opponent's position has been "we don't care how good or bad an idea is, if YOU support it, it's automatically wrong".

No government can function like that. It's time for the people in the U.S. to start telling their elected reps, both R and D, to start trying to run a country instead of fighting for what little support may be left by the time they quit being stupid.
Yet oddly Congress has passed everything he's wanted. Obama has not seen the Congress rebuke him once in any way similar to how Bush was rebuked on social security privatization.

The whole "party of no" meme is nothing more than elaborate political theater.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

+1 Interwebz to Icarus Unfallen for getting a Holy Grail reference into play.

I would rather a judge dismiss the case relatively quickly (in other words, within one month) than to drag it out in actual court, otherwise we'll be halfway into some other guy's term before it gets resolved.

Wildling wrote:No government can function like that. It's time for the people in the U.S. to start telling their elected reps, both R and D, to start trying to run a country instead of fighting for what little support may be left by the time they quit being stupid.
^ What he said. Republican...Democrat....there is no difference any more.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Coercri”