The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Post by peter »

Yeah - ok!

Pulling of a remake of the original Danny Kaye classic was always going to be a tall order, but the length of time between the two versions does give this one a helping hand. Ben Stiller takes on the Kaye roll of the eponymous hero who, while in reality is the shy lowly cog in the production of a weekly news-mag, in his dreams conjurs up fantastical scenarios in which he is the devel-may-care performer of acts of great danger and intrigue. His love interest, who barely knows he exists is played by Kristen Wiig.

The plot sees Mitty - a man who has never travelled anywhere - strike of in pursuit of a film negative he has mislayed, a journey that sees him fighting of sharks in the seas off Greenland, travelling through the Hindu Kush and finally locating the magazines chief celebrity photographer as he photgraphs the elusive snow leopard high in the Tibetan Himalaya. In the process Mitty discovers himself and .......well see it for yourself.

The film is easy viewing, good fun in a number of places and has some beautifil, beautiful scenery to complement it. It ain't never going to win any Oscars and I dought for purists it will stand up to the original - but hell, I liked it and it made me feel happy at the end [which I like].
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

I really wanted to see this in the theaters. Unfortunately my friends bypassed it to see something more substantial. Thanks for reminding me of this, I'm in no way a Walter Mitty purist and I'm glad to see a positive review of a movie that looked so interesting to me. I hope to pick this up soon and add my review to the thread.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

I just saw this film. Very touching and very much speaks to some people's lives. An gentle, understated film about what we chose to do with our lives. I loved it.

And the soundtrack is amazing. I am actually going to buy it.

when did Sean Penn become so damn sexy???
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Hooray! Someone else see's what I see in this. It's Ok isn't it - it's Ok!

[I'm heading to Iceland because of it!]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Morning
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Morning »

I loved the movie to the point of ordering it on blu-ray. Stiller doesn't fail to deliver a powerfully touching, sensitive, and moral message with this highly viewable piece. Totally devoid of pseudo-sophistication or pretense, elegantly extravagant and subliminal in its demolition of the Ted's and other PPT suits that have multiplied like Agent Smith, at times the storytelling is so absorbing - the combination of sound score and landscape does that more than once! - that I found myself actually zoning IN. The finale still makes me cry. What a masterpiece and a huge surprise.
Ardet nec Consumitur.

Return to “Flicks”