"Perfect" albums

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

"Perfect" albums

Post by aliantha »

I'm finally getting around to importing all my CDs into iTunes (now that we're firmly in the mp3 age :roll:). I mentioned my project on Facebook, and while chatting with a couple of people about it last night, we came up with a short list of albums on which there isn't a single bad song. My nominees were Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and Gerry Rafferty's "City to City". The guys came up with Paul Simon's "Graceland" and the Beatles' "Abbey Road."

Granted, these are pretty darned old. :lol: Any nominees of your own?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I'll have to give that some thought. It's pretty rare - can't tell you how many albums I bought to get one or two tracks.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

'Ten New Songs' by Leonard Cohen
'Taak' by Sigur Ros
'Fleet Foxes' by Fleet Foxes
'Time Out of Mind' by Bob Dylan
'OK Computer' by Radiohead
'Manana in Manhatten' by Pierce Turner
'Songbird' by Eva Cassidy
'Emigres' by Youssou N'Dour
'Hats' by The Blue Nile
'Bon Iver, Bon Iver' by Bon Iver

Or at least in my less than humble opinion, since I love all of these albums.

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Olias of Sunhillow - Jon Anderson
The Yes Album - Yes
Going for the One - Yes
The Plan - The Osmonds
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
Stravinsky: Firebird Suite/Borodin: Polovtsian Dances - Berliner Philharmoniker/Herbert von Karajan (I can no longer find this album anywhere. It was in my first husband's collection and I absolutely loved it)

I would love to list albums by The Moody Blues and Genesis, but there are none where I love every track on them...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Menolly wrote:
I would love to list albums by The Moody Blues and Genesis, but there are none where I love every track on them...
From Genesis to Revelation comes close for me. I can't think of any tracks I would describe as filler.

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sorus wrote:I'll have to give that some thought. It's pretty rare - can't tell you how many albums I bought to get one or two tracks.
I'm in the same boat in many cases. I ran across Big Brother & the Holding Co.'s "Cheap Thrills" in the CD drawer, which I had forgotten I owned. I'm sure I bought it only to hear Janis Joplin on "Piece of My Heart." :lol: Although their cover of "Summertime" is pretty spectacular, too.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

I'd say for my tastes
Beatles: Sgt. Pepper
Legendary Pink Dots: Maria dimension
Coil: Astral Disaster
VNV Nation: Tie between Matter and Form / Judgement
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

High 'n Dry: Def Leppard
DSotM and WYWH: Pink Floyd
Pretty Hate Machine: NIN

All I can come up with at the moment. There are a lot of, "well except for one song...." albums though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Some of these may be questionable on the "every song" bar; it depends on mood and how exacting you want to be.
  • Frank Sinatra & Count Basie It Might As Well Be Swing
    Steely Dan Aja
    Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead
    Carole King Tapestry
    Who Who's Next
    Wings Band on the Run
    Michael Franks The Art of Tea
A couple by Elton, the Eagles and others also occur to me...but this will be contentious enough.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cail wrote:There are a lot of, "well except for one song...." albums though.
Same. Though I will have to give that NIN album a try. I've tried to get into them before, but never found the right place to start. I trust your judgement.

Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

Strange to say it, but I think Vancouver (2009) by Matthew Good is a perfect Album. The Album sticks to the theme of the artists Hometown and memories, and it's really quite diverse. With Rockers, Spacey, acoustic, Sad, and pumped up songs, I have yet to find an album I find as engaging and diverse as this one. Plus, to me, the Album opener is a very crucial point. The song "Last Parade" blew me away on my first listen. It may not be a Classic, but it is one of Canada's hidden gems.

Other honorable mentions, The Wall, Dark side of the moon, and Abbey Road. Others I would put just for the sake of me liking them, but I don;t think they would really fit here.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:
Cail wrote:There are a lot of, "well except for one song...." albums though.
Same. Though I will have to give that NIN album a try. I've tried to get into them before, but never found the right place to start. I trust your judgement.
Pretty Hate Machine is more of a "dance music with industrial undercurrents" than NIN's later stuff. It might be that it was just so different when it came out in 1989 that it left such an impression on me.

Dunno, it's just a really listenable album that (for me, at least) has stood the test of time really well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

SD, I bought Tapestry for the first time :oops: not long ago, and have been listening to it off and on. I'm not sure that it's aged all that well, but maybe that's me -- I seem to prefer Carly Simon's voice. In any case, I don't think anyone could argue Carole King's contribution to pop as a song writer. :)

EZ Board Survivor

Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Cail wrote:Pretty Hate Machine: NIN
You probably heard it before, but in case you haven't, Johnny Cash does a cover of Hurt that is waaaaay better than the nin version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

He also covers depeche mode's personal jesus. Not as good as Hurt, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Ananda wrote:
Cail wrote:Pretty Hate Machine: NIN
You probably heard it before, but in case you haven't, Johnny Cash does a cover of Hurt that is waaaaay better than the nin version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

He also covers depeche mode's personal jesus. Not as good as Hurt, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU
Heard both, like both.

Hurt isn't on PHM; it's one of the better tracks on TDS though.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Breakfast In America - Supertramp
So - Peter Gabriel
Moving Pictures - Rush
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd :sob:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

rem - chronic town (ep)

husker du - new day rising

pm dawn - Jesus Wept

throwing muses - the real Ramona

grant hart - the last days of Pompeii
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Iron Maiden...Piece of Mind
Anthrax...Among the Living
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

Sonic Youth - Goo
Faith No More - Angel Dust
King Diamond - The Eye (though I know d@mn well that his singing style will not be to everyone's taste)
Deep Purple - Machine Head

Return to “Vespers”